All Time Best Players - Lists by their contemporaries

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Dit Clapper's all-star team in 1945

Goal: Tiny Thompson
Defense: Earl Seibert, Eddie Shore
Left wing: Harvey (Busher) Jackson
Centre: Milt Schmidt
Right wing: Bill Cook

Lionel Conacher in 1953

First team
Goal: Roy Worters
Defense: Eddie Shore, Eddie Gerard
Left wing: Aurel Joliat
Centre: Milt Schmidt

Second team
Goal: Chuck Gardiner
Defense: King Clancy, Ching Johnson
Left wing: Harvey Jackson
Centre: Howie Morenz
Right wing: Charlie Conacher

Aurel Joliat in 1955 (we have his teams from 1936, 1948, and 1962, why not include this one too.)

Joliat gave the best players of his time, he was unwilling to include current players because he didn't watch a lot of pro hockey.

Goal: My old comrade George Hainsworth was the steadiest, Clint Benedict, Georges Vezina, and Charlie Gardiner were excellent and just as good.
Defence: My old playing companion Sprague Cleghorn with Eddie Gerard, then Eddie Shore and Reggie Noble
Centre: Howie Morenz, without equal in centre and also the best player of all time
Left wing: Harvey Jackson

The modern game is not as good as the game we played in our time and I sincerely wonder if the immortal Howie, the greatest player I have ever seen, could do himself justice under today's system.

They say the current game is faster, maybe, but I haven't seen another Morenz or Hector Kilrea since those two speed merchants retired. And another thing, when we skated with the puck, we skated straight toward the net and we didn't go off into the corners of the rink. Since when did they put the nets in the corners?

Sylvio Mantha gave his all time team in the same 1955 article.

Goal: Bill Durnan
Defence: Eddie Shore and Lionel Hitchman, Shore for his full-speed runs and Hitchman for his truly unbeatable defensive science
Centre: Howie Morenz
Left wing: Aurele Joliat

It gives me pleasure to say for publication that Joliat allowed me to extend my career by three years, as he helped me so much in defense. Often it happened that enemy forwards outwitted me, Aurele almost always came back in time to save the situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad