GDT: All things training camp

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
It is a bit of a bummer, although Salo *may* have made the team which is a nice surprise

McGro made the Pens opening roster, would he have cracked the Jets roster this year or been sent to the ahl? Or does he look justified in his desire to leave our org if making the nhl this year was his goal
I think McGroarty would be looking at pretty much the same situation. Connor, Vilardi, Ehlers, and Perfetti are the top 6 wingers. And they wouldn't have put him on the Lowry line.

So you likely send him down and if there was a top 6 injury it's between him and Lambert.

Reactions: Buffdog

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think McGroarty would be looking at pretty much the same situation. Connor, Vilardi, Ehlers, and Perfetti are the top 6 wingers. And they wouldn't have put him on the Lowry line.

So you likely send him down and if there was a top 6 injury it's between him and Lambert.

Yeah, the Pens are much thinner then us at wing.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
It's especially interesting to read the posts in the preseason about how good Namestnikov has fared at 2C. Who are Lambert or Chibrikov replacing this season in the top 6 then other than him? Would we rather put them with offensive black hole Lowry? Or maybe playing 7 minutes a night with Gus and Morgan Barron?

If the org was run proactively on anything instead of always status quo + reacting, there were many options to shake up the lineup and not stunt any growth while incorporating young dynamic players.

Connor - Scheifele - Vilardi (18 mins a night)
Perfetti - Namestnikov - Ehlers (15 minutes a night)
Iafallo - Lowry - Barron/Appleton (15 minutes a night)
Niederreiter - Lambert - Chibrikov (12 minutes a night)
Barron/Appleton/Iafallo (2 of the three play on Lowry’s wings, 1 scratch)

But that would involve upsetting status quo, sending down Gus and/or Kupari, and providing some hype for the fans and the young guys in the org.

Instead we’ll trot out a worse version of last years team that fell apart, and Lambert and Chibrikov will go spin their tires on the Moose so that status quo Gustafsson and Kupari can get in the lineup

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
the sequence of some posts and narratives through the summer is always great to look back on on how delusional some posters are. all those posts crapping on bowness for not playing kids and hyping arniel & predicting big roles for some prospects to start. yet here we are again.
some posters need a slice of humble pie and a cup of reality for real, wish i bookmarked a few more that i read tbh. the Jets line-up is honestly easily to predict and has been for years. in-season injuries or contract status/FA departures will propel youth forward it has almost always been like this.
Also posted something similar in the summer.
Ya just know it

Reactions: roccerfeller

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
If the org was run proactively on anything instead of always status quo + reacting, there were many options to shake up the lineup and not stunt any growth while incorporating young dynamic players.

But that would involve upsetting status quo, sending down Gus and/or Kupari, and providing some hype for the fans and the young guys in the org.

Instead we’ll trot out a worse version of last years team that fell apart, and Lambert and Chibrikov will go spin their tires on the Moose so that status quo Gustafsson and Kupari can get in the lineup
Why are you assuming that chibrikov would be upgrade over Kupari?

Reactions: Dirtbag151

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011

Not to waste a post on a "+1", but exactly this. The "would you rather watch Lambert rot on the 4th line playing 6 minutes a night?" crowd is basing that on what we have always done, not what we could do.

Safe and boring organization is safe and boring.

* Checks last years stats *

Yes.

He literally outscored him in one game.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Not to waste a post on a "+1", but exactly this. The "would you rather watch Lambert rot on the 4th line playing 6 minutes a night?" crowd is basing that on what we have always done, not what we could do.

And unsafe and exciting organizations are unsafe and exciting?

Doing things differently doesn't automatically mean outcomes would be better. There's a good chance they'd be worse. Youngsters get put in the lineup and don't succeed... and then people like you would probably just blame the coach for their usage/linemates

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

* Checks last years stats *

Yes.

He literally outscored him in one game.
Ok, you're basing your opinion on a 1 game sample size where the outcomes meant nothing in the standings. Check.

I can't possibly think of a worse reason to assume that, but it's a reason for sure

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
They didn't take full advantage

Neither Lambert nor Chibs showed that they're an upgrade for the spots they were competing for. Both got good, long looks at camp
You don't think those 2 outplayed Gus and Kupari at the very least? They probably outplayed several more forwards too including Barron, Iafallo, and Appleton. I understand not wanting to play Lambert in anything but a top 6 role, but Chibrikov would be fantastic on the third or fourth line IMO.

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011

Doing things differently doesn't automatically mean outcomes would be better. There's a good chance they'd be worse. Youngsters get put in the lineup and don't succeed... and then people like you would probably just blame the coach for their usage/linemates
If they don't work out and you need to send them down, so be it. So we lose Kupari and Gus. Big deal. We call up AJF and Toni and have lost almost literally nothing.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
the sequence of some posts and narratives through the summer is always great to look back on on how delusional some posters are. all those posts crapping on bowness for not playing kids and hyping arniel & predicting big roles for some prospects to start. yet here we are again.
some posters need a slice of humble pie and a cup of reality for real, wish i bookmarked a few more that i read tbh. the Jets line-up is honestly easily to predict and has been for years. in-season injuries or contract status/FA departures will propel youth forward it has almost always been like this.

Posters always want prospects to get big roles for as long as I've been on HF. Like predicting guys like Dano or Petan will be on the 2nd line and stuff like that. But then sometimes it happens when no one suspects, like Morrissey making the Jets when guys were starting to think maybe he was a bust.

I'll also add I think Connor was sent down in his D+2 as well, played 4 games then got called up and had a great year. That could very well be the case, especially if there is an injury.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buffdog

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
This was always going to be a veteran laden roster apparently both Chibby and Lambert did not do enough to move someone out of the top 6. Lowry's line is set and there's no sense putting them of the 4th line getting maybe 8 minutes a game and sitting for the third period

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud

no it doesn't mean the outcome is better....but we would then KNOW that....as opposed to just assuming it will be and acting as if that assumption is correct.

Y'know the story about Aristotle assuming women had fewer teeth then men and just never bothering to actually check that fact?

Last edited:

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Ok, you're basing your opinion on a 1 game sample size where the outcomes meant nothing in the standings. Check.

I can't possibly think of a worse reason to assume that, but it's a reason for sure
you kind of have that logic 100% backwards.

it's not the young guys "One Game".

it's Gustafson's 113 games and Kupari's 158...
it's that we very much know Gus and Kupari DIDN"T perform. AT ALL. we have seen who they are. We know what they are.

so yes. IMHO it seems like it is worth the risk to dump a couple of underperforming guys who have had a couple years to make a mark, and bring up the young kids who are very much making a mark in thier AHL rookie careers AND the preseason, AND TC and the very limited time they were in the big club last year.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
He doesn't necessarily need to be -
You could also look at the ceiling for these players and plan for one to be better than the other at some point -
Some might assume that these young guys will grow at a faster rate if given an opportunity to play with better players -

Or we can continue with the theory that bringing players in too quick will break them -
I like that one because it's a fail safe excuse to never do anything - and the plugs will always be safe.

Just another way to look at it - and a little less risk adverse.
Also allows your best prospects more opportunity over the plug - which is how it should be (at least some times) IMO

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Wouldnt be surprised if Helle has covid. I've got it, half of my classmates have it, my mom has it

Please sir, could I have some more. :laugh:

1728336184082.png

Last edited:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
He doesn't necessarily need to be -
You could also look at the ceiling for these players and plan for one to be better than the other at some point -
Some might assume that these young guys will grow at a faster rate if given an opportunity to play with better players -

Or we can continue with the theory that bringing players in too quick will break them -
I like that one because it's a fail safe excuse to never do anything - and the plugs will always be safe.

Just another way to look at it - and a little less risk adverse.
Also allows your best prospects more opportunity over the plug - which is how it should be (at least some times) IMO
Again, you're assuming the prospect won't be a plug

As I've pointed out, Chib's AHL numbers are inferior to Appleton's. That's a good indication of his ceiling

Assume? I watched him play and definitely prefer his skill set and motor.
What about his size and play away from the puck?

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Salo sent down Jets going with 3 tenders to start the season
one is going to get sent down if/when helle is available, salo could come up since he was still practicing with the team today but we don't know because our beat writers couldn't even bother to ask...

Reactions: KingBogo

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Again, you're assuming the prospect won't be a plug

As I've pointed out, Chib's AHL numbers are inferior to Appleton's. That's a good indication of his ceiling

What about his size and play away from the puck?
Yes, I'm assuming Chib's won't be a plug - looks like a more skilled player that Kupari who I was comparing to (not Apples).
Time will tell - but I see Chib's as one of our best prospects - but I don't know the future so there is some assumption in that.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Agreed. It is way past over due that this organization inject youth and talent over the status quo. It seems we are always more worried about losing a 4th line/PB/Tweener then building for the future. We keep guys around like Kupari that are a dime a dozen with many comparable players just released on waivers. Instead of giving roles to future building blocks so they can get NHL experience and grow into their roles. We were most successful as an organization after a couple years of flooding the team with talented youth in the 15-16 and 16-17 season and then going on a playoff run 17-18. The organization is way to damn conservative IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad