GDT: All things training camp

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I came round to Capo also, despite the 360s carried out at the pace of a snail recovering from a three-day bender. Hope he prospers.
I really liked his offensive blueline management, personally it's the area of my game I most struggle with because I'm very risk adverse.

It takes balls to make decisions that are quite risky there, and skill to actually consistently come out on top.

Morrissey ofc is an absolute magician at this, whereas I think with Pionk is one of his weakest parts of his game.

Demelo is more like me when it comes to it, would much rather take most of the risk out if it and throw it down the boards.

It's also shot selection - which is an art in itself.

Before Byfuglien transformed his game he was absolute garbage at risk management and was why I was an eternal critic. If there's one thing I think Noel started and Maurice finished that were lasting accomplishments, it was getting Buff to really change his thinking and consider risk.

FWIW I really like Miller's offensive blueline management. It's like a hybrid of Morrissey and Demelo. He will take measured risks, moves along the blueline well, and is really smart with shot selection. However, he seems to really understand his limitations and knows when to "Demelo" it.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
But Helly is our goalie, i don't get the thinking that just because we have Helly we are a good team. To me that's a great thing to have, it's like saying the Oilers would be a shity team without McJesus . We have one of the best goalies in the League and one of the highest paid so to me that's a great thing. Now we just need him and the entire team to take it up a notch in the playoffs like the really good teams do .:nod:
Yes he is the MVP
Without him this group barely makes the playoffs,he is that good.
Cheveldayoff gets a lot of extra benefit of the doubt because Helle’s stellar regular season record and performance

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
If Helle was not the goalie this team would be at Buffalo/Ottawa levels.
I think that this was more true definitely in the past - but as Brossoit showed with this team, a competent goaltender makes this team a playoff team. In my mind last year Helle took this team from one that was maybe taking the third spot in the Central or one of the wildcards to a President's trophy contender.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think that this was more true definitely in the past - but as Brossoit showed with this team, a competent goaltender makes this team a playoff team. In my mind last year Helle took this team from one that was maybe taking the third spot in the Central or one of the wildcards to a President's trophy contender.

Agreed. I don't expect by far league best tending this year, but we should still be in the top 5 to 10 which should put us comfortably in the playoffs.

Reactions: Jet

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Definition: understanding of a situation or event after it has happened or developed. The word hindsight is a fairly recent word originating in the 1800s. One of the first documentations of the word actually refers to “backsight” as in “backsight of a firearm.” The word hind is synonymous with back

But it is NOT hindsight if you are able to say, "told you so".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad