GDT: All things training camp

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
And there was a time long ago that no one thought DeMelo would be more than that. The safe steady guys that can skate and move the puck well can often compliment a more dynamic offensive player as they gain experience. That’s what I see in Lundmark.
Jets seemed to recognize that in DeMelo. He walked on to the Jets playing over 21 minutes a game. But suddenly the Jets can’t see the DeMelo clone they have been watching for 6 seasons?

I honestly don’t see all these bad evaluations the Jets are making like a lot of you do. Overall I think pro scouting is one of the better things the Jets do.

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016
I look at it this way, the Jets PP and PK was brutal, how many more wins is having a very good PP and PK worth? At the very least it might equal what losing Brossoit will cost. The Jets didn't fluke out 52 wins last season.

After getting absolutely shit kicked in 5 games in the playoffs for the 2nd year in a row I would say they did fluke out 52 wins last season.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Agree, but I think that's increasingly an important that the Jets -- to date -- have seemed unwilling to engage in.

Maybe Arniel is the one to make to move the adapt to the league rather than plow the 2012-era Jets Hockey furrow, though I expect that the good years, like last season, will probably outweigh the bad ones in terms of where the org thinks its problems might lie.

I'd love to see more young talent integrated into a line that than do more than try to stifle the puck for a few minutes a game, and instead push the play with enough threat and urgency to tilt the ice, for the next line on also I do think that players like Chibby and Lambert have the skill and speed to grow into those roles en route to playing higher up the lineup. But they're going to make mistakes along the way, and be allowed to play through then.

Anyway, my tuppence.
I agree - so, I've had a real shift in opinion, here.

Previously, I would have said (and I did as recently as last season), that having a more veteran laden roster with a 4th line that just eats minutes and tries to stay even is the right approach when playoffs hit and defense and prevention is paramount.

However, after the last 2 playoffs, that simply has not worked for this team, so - why not try something new?

If you can create 3 scoring lines you really tax the opposition when they are trying to suppress - they have to decide which lines they are going to assign their best defensive resources to, allowing for the remaining players to have softer matchups.

After getting absolutely shit kicked in 5 games in the playoffs for the 2nd year in a row I would say they did fluke out 52 wins last season.
Wait so 5 games is a better sample size than 52?

The problem is playoff hockey is balls to the wall all out give everything - and the Jets simply did not do that, from Hellebuyck all the way out.

Reactions: TS Quint

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
If we do lose Lundmark, that would be the third NHL capable defenceman lost on waivers so we can continue to keep Logan Stanley. While not franchise altering moves, Chevy’s continued doubling down on Logan is at this point meme worthy and certainly poor asset management.
Stanley is better than any of those losers the Jets lost. If they wanted Kovecevic back it might have cost them $1m contract if the Jets were really generous. Don’t worry, that option will still be available next year too.

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016

Previously, I would have said (and I did as recently as last season), that having a more veteran laden roster with a 4th line that just eats minutes and tries to stay even is the right approach when playoffs hit and defense and prevention is paramount.

However, after the last 2 playoffs, that simply has not worked for this team, so - why not try something new?

If you can create 3 scoring lines you really tax the opposition when they are trying to suppress - they have to decide which lines they are going to assign their best defensive resources to, allowing for the remaining players to have softer matchups.

The problem is playoff hockey is balls to the wall all out give everything - and the Jets simply did not do that, from Hellebuyck all the way out.

2 wins and 8 loses over 2 years is 10 games, not 5.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Oh I agree with why most of our kids are being left on the farm longer. But I also think this org does put itself in the corner a bit waiting until waiver ineligibility to make calls on some of these guys.

I think Chisholm is an example of what we could use this year but do to not getting any looks at him other then a few games we lost him for nothing.
I'm really not sure Chisholm is what the Jets need this year. Heinola would still be a head of him on the depth chart. Stanley probably would have been in the starting lineup. If Pionk and Miller are the PP guys and there one game together on it was good, not sure how a guy like Chishom would contribute

The thing I am watching is if Josh kills penalties to start the season...he's unequivocally the Jets best d-man, does Arniel put him out there in shot blocking situations? This is where Fleury as depth makes sense. If he can play 3+ minutes a night as an effective PKer and stay in the neutral ratio for GF/GA, might get another productive season out of #44. Salomonsson though might give Fleury some competition by the looks of it, on his offside, but I'm not sure he's ready or riding the tide of opportunity.

Reactions: TS Quint

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012

The Jets had 13 forwards that had double digit goals last year. I think the Jets 4th was better offensively than the vast majority of the league. I didn’t look that up so feel free to double check that. Crapping on the Jets 4th line deployment and results seems like more of an excuse (for lack of a better word) for some to find a spot to jam a prospect into because everyone loves what’s in the mystery box!

Reactions: Jet

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Why would they want to get rid of Appleton? He put up 36 points playing against other teams best players. How much exactly is that worth? He makes 2.17M

Who should be in his spot? Chibs? A player with zero NHL experience and lesser success than Appleton in their 1st AHL seasons (apples was a year older)

Just an example. It's established NHLers on NHL contracts they have to beat out and I don't really see it beyond maybe a 4th line role which on this team isn't much.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
as of today from DFO

kiviranta-kelly-wagner (avs 4th line)
dadonov-steel-blackwell (stars)
jankowski-mccarron-cole smith (preds)
podkolzin-ryan-perry (oilers)
lemieux-drury-jost (canes)
greer-giles-boqvist (panthers)
max jones-beecher-katelic (bruins)
lauko-khusnutdinov-f.gaudreau (wild)
kolesar-howden-ZAR (vgk)
girgensons-glendening-chaffee (tbl)
holberg-kampf-reaves (tor)

how many prospects yall count?

when our "prospect 4th line" is getting 6-7mins a night, this forum will just complain the team is ruining them anyway.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Chevy ain't perfect, nobody is, but i think he's one of the best GM's in the League. Dubois trade was a unbelievable trade for the Jets, Mcspoiled brat for Yager i think will be a massive win . Winnipeg has to be the hardest GM job in the League by far.

Or maybe the easiest. :laugh: Winnipeg has saved Chevy from quite a few bad signings.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Not so difficult. JAD & Gus in. Kupari out. 13 F

Ville & Stan on SOIR. Fleury and Salo stay. Coglan out. 7 D.
The difficult part will be when both Ville & Stan are ready to return. Send Salo down? Or has he earned a permanent spot by then? Will Fleury go? Do we go with 8 Dmen? Still need to move 1.
I think kurpari will make it over gus

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I honestly don’t see all these bad evaluations the Jets are making like a lot of you do. Overall I think pro scouting is one of the better things the Jets do.
Good lord! It's maybe been not as shitawful lately, but the bar is pretty low.

Maybe a handful of players have been good acquisitions. Literally count-on-one-hand: Perreault, Frolik, DeMelo, Niederreiter, Names. Maybe a couple more in the "not too bad" category. The rest have been garbage.

Reactions: SLAYER and surixon

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think kurpari will make it over gus

Hmmm lets see .... Gus better defensively. Gus better offensively. Kupari better at skating fast and doing nothing. Yup, Kupari it is. :laugh:

You are probably right. They think they can make something out of him because they see the tools. They should look at his record. They should look at his play this pre-season.

Reactions: hn777

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Not everyone was waived at the same time, LOL. Kovacevic was waived and claimed in 2022 and Chisholm in 2024. Both were waived to keep Stanley as I believe Ville was still waiver exempt at that time.
My point is we were never going to have all 3 on the roster. If we kept Kovy the next choice was likely been between him or Chisholm.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Hmmm lets see .... Gus better defensively. Gus better offensively. Kupari better at skating fast and doing nothing. Yup, Kupari it is. :laugh:

You are probably right. They think they can make something out of him because they see the tools. They should look at his record. They should look at his play this pre-season.
I would not say gus is better offensively

Reactions: Dirtbag151

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Good lord! It's maybe been not as shitawful lately, but the bar is pretty low.

Maybe a handful of players have been good acquisitions. Literally count-on-one-hand: Perreault, Frolik, DeMelo, Niederreiter, Names. Maybe a couple more in the "not too bad" category. The rest have been garbage.
Who specifically is “garbage”?

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

So if Kupari puts up "Gus numbers" this year you'll change your mind about him?

Reactions: Dirtbag151

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad