GDT: All things training camp

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I'm really hoping Lundmark clears. He had himself a very uneventful camp and that's not an insult for a defenseman like him.
I think most teams are trying to get their own "Lundmark" through waivers right now so I'm hopeful he clears

The fact that he has zero NHL experience works in our favor. A team would be making a claim based on potential instead of the fact that he's a proven upgrade over what they have (although Chisholm and the great Kovacevic were similar)

Reactions: Bender Duster

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
We just came off a season with 110 points. I don't think they need to do much to the lineup. If it doesn't go right its far easier to bring in your younger guys then.

The reason they have trouble selling tickets is a much more far reaching problem for society in general then they need an "exciting" team for people to come out too and watch.

But this was not the lineup that got us 110 points. This closer to the lineup that went nearly 500 for the back half of the season and then got destroyed in the first round.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
line-up nearly the same as last year? gee who would've thunk that? :rolleyes:

bu bu but chevy and arniel said young guys in the line up! wont somebody think about the prospects!!! 😭

seriously though, if this is the line-up, extremely unsurprising. the fwd group is the same cast of characters to start last year. 0 trades occurred, 0 FAs left. non-generational prospects are unlikely to start the season on the Jets w/o clear openings. but some on HF were so confident in some vaunted prospect or youth movement.... was never going to happen imo.

top-4d pretty easy to predict. 3rd pair-i didn't think miller would sign here w/o a starting at 3rd pair D rather than the pressbox. so really, 3LD was probably the only realistic skater position open bw heinola, stanley etc.
Ya I'm pissed that we are basically bringing back the same team that finished 4th overall last season.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Jets cycle every season:

1. We have a couple of C prospects... maybe we should try them early in the season to see what we have in them.

2. Nah Names or whoever the vet is should play 2C, let the other players develop in an easier situation.

3. It's January, Jets are in the playoff hunt now it's "too late" to experiment with internal 2C options. "The Jets are trying to make a playoff run".

4. It's Feb our current veteran 2C is not good enough for management or fans standards. Trade a high pick to get a vet 2C

5. It's april hey maybe this 2C will resign with the Jets long term

6. It's July. The vet 2C walks to UFA. "This now opens up an opportunity for younger players for that role"

7. It is October, go back to 1 and repeat thr process.

Ftr, I am fine with Names C'ing that 2nd line but there better not even be a discussion about a "2C deadline upgrade" without even trying any internal options.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
But this was not the lineup that got us 110 points. This closer to the lineup that went nearly 500 for the back half of the season and then got destroyed in the first round.
the Jets lineup last season prior to the Monahan and evidently Tofolli additions was 30-12-5, 3rd in the league with a 0.691 pts%. the entire fwd group is the same, the thing that has changed is dillon and schmidt are out. and a new back-up goalie.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Yeah for sure. Seen it play out too many times. Skilled guy gets pigeon holed into not making any risky plays ever and their creativity and production suffers.

Heard it on the broadcast with Sawyer last night..

1) backhand feed by Lambert at the blue line is risky and should be "put down low"
2) similar feed from Connor is a "skilled play"

This to me is a microcausm of why he should be playing AHL until we need him in the top six

I agree with the idea, I just think it's unrealistic to expect anything other than Lowry as tough matchups C. It's been this way for 10 years now.
Lamberts' backhand feed at the blue line is terrible. Got him benched at the WJC. Cost goals against in the WHL and the AHL. Saw it again in exhibition. He needs to not do that 'cause everyone defending him knows he will do it.

the Jets lineup last season prior to the Monahan and evidently Tofolli additions was 30-12-5, 3rd in the league with a 0.691 pts%. the entire fwd group is the same, the thing that has changed is dillon and schmidt are out. and a new back-up goalie.
Bold = significant changes (losses).

Plus they should all be butt hurt from how the playoffs went. Will that hang over them or make them a better team?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Lamberts' backhand feed at the blue line is terrible. Got him benched at the WJC. Cost goals against in the WHL and the AHL. Saw it again in exhibition. He needs to not do that 'cause everyone defending him knows he will do it.

Bold = significant changes (losses).

Plus they should all be butt hurt from how the playoffs went. Will that hang over them or make them a better team?
brossoit played 12 games up until that point, and was 7-3-2 or 0.67 pts%. for simplicity sake let's assume he went 0.50 pts%, that would've equated to a 0.649 pts% overall which is good for a 106 pt season.

i won't argue that the dillon is a loss, samberg given his proficiency in the third pair should be able to fill in nicely as a 2nd pair dman. but a tbd of course.

so how is this team rn closer to the 0.500 pts% that the OP suggested?

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
line-up nearly the same as last year? gee who would've thunk that? :rolleyes:

bu bu but chevy and arniel said young guys in the line up! wont somebody think about the prospects!!! 😭

This definitely puts an end to the narrative that "Chevy wants younger players to play but the coach refuses" or that "Chevy and the Coach are at odds with their lineup/deployment decisions".

Arniel- a rookie coach is in no position to go against the wishes of a veteran GM like Chevy so, this lineup is what Chevy feels comfortable with and very likely Chevy was also onboard with various unpopular moves by Bones/Maurice.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
This definitely puts an end to the narrative that "Chevy wants younger players to play but the coach refuses" or that "Chevy and the Coach are at odds with their lineup/deployment decisions".

Arniel- a rookie coach is in no position to go against the wishes of a veteran GM like Chevy so, this lineup is what Chevy feels comfortable with and very likely Chevy was also onboard with various unpopular moves by Bones/Maurice.
it's almost always been that way , but some refuse to see or believe it. i don't know why.

Reactions: NA Hockey

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I think @Buffdog is correct. The young players getting the opportunity were to be Ville and possibly Kupari/Gus.

It seems this org intends to over bake everyone else.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think @Buffdog is correct. The young players getting the opportunity were to be Ville and possibly Kupari/Gus.

Let's see how it plays out. As of now the injuries are piling up a bit and the best of the kids are still in camp. And no way can he mean Kupari who is as close to totally useless as a player can be. And in all honesty Gus will never be more than a 4th liner.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Kupari and Gus are getting opportunities for what? Top 6 or 9 roles? They've been getting NHL opportunities for years. They're closer to UFA age than ELC age.

Reactions: hockeyarena

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Iafallo does have some offensive ability too. He is reliable and versatile enough to move up and down the lineup so he is more than a 4th liner.

I would have been happy to include him in a trade where we needed cap space for an upgrade at a position of need. But we don't need the cap space right now so his cap hit is not an issue.
Compared to what Andrew Copp is making, Iafallo isn't such a bad deal. Versatile, defensive minded player. Copp was a part of the team's success, once he played with better linemates than Thorburn, with all due respect. Now he's the reason why the 2C spot is in contention, and why the Jets have a prospective d-man in the mix out of camp, with a future here. Not to overlook a solid 4th liner who should be in the lineup opening day.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I think it's more like they don't want to pay to get rid of the Appleton like contracts. Also the goal is playoffs and this is mostly the team that got them there so why change it.

Personally I think the team has a real chance at missing this year so maybe they bring some in and move some UFAs out. I doubt they plan to keep everyone who's a UFA in the summer.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Let's see how it plays out. As of now the injuries are piling up a bit and the best of the kids are still in camp. And no way can he mean Kupari who is as close to totally useless as a player can be. And in all honesty Gus will never be more than a 4th liner.

I honestly don't know what the org sees in Kupari. He has some wheels but no tool box. IA green that Gus is at best a 4th liner.

But this org usually plays it via contract/waivers for the depth spots and I don't see that changing.

I think it's more like they don't want to pay to get rid of the Appleton like contracts. Also the goal is playoffs and this is mostly the team that got them there so why change it.

Personally I think the team has a real chance at missing this year so maybe they bring some in and move some UFAs out. I doubt they plan to keep everyone who's a UFA in the summer.

I really don't know how to read this team. They have enough goof players and aren't in the deepest division around so they should be able to make it, but I don't see much else unless we get some real big performances from Perfetti, Vilardi and Snerg to compliment our core.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Hopefully Lundmark makes it through. Whether or not he can some day fill in as a 3rd pair guy, it would be good just to have the depth in case of injuries, and also to help with the Moose.
I'm surprised Lundmark got cut before Coghlan. Maybe there are details in practice that kept him out of the lineup. If he gets lost to waivers that's a curious decision.

What's the chances Gustafsson or Anderson-Dolan start the season on IR, to be able to free up a roster spot, for one of the rookies? Who might get a start in the home stretch.

Since the kids didn't get demoted you'd think they are all going to play Friday.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm surprised Lundmark got cut before Coghlan. Maybe there are details in practice that kept him out of the lineup. If he gets lost to waivers that's a curious decision.

What's the chances Gustafsson or Anderson-Dolan start the season on IR, to be able to free up a roster spot, for one of the rookies? Who might get a start in the home stretch.

Since the kids didn't get demoted you'd think they are all going to play Friday.
The one thing I’m thinking is waiving Lundmark now was strategic. Just before final cutdowns a player with no NHL history and no flash to his game is hard to bring in and evaluate in a couple days to make a decision to keep on your final roster so likely no one takes a flier on him.

Reactions: voyageur

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
The one thing I’m thinking is waiving Lundmark now was strategic. Just before final cutdowns a player with no NHL history and no flash to his game is hard to bring in and evaluate in a couple days to make a decision to keep on your final roster so likely no one takes a flier on him.
Fair enough, he only had 2 preseason games, both at home, against lesser squads. Tougher to evaluate. Not much PK time. Salomonsson has played the road games and more on the PK. Honestly if Salomonsson goes back to the Moose, Lundmark is the best player they could pair him with to start the season.

Shlep

Sep 13, 2024
There is zero chance Lundmark gets claimed barring a team suffering multiple injuries on defense tonight, and even then he's probably the 3rd most attractive defenseman on waivers today. Picking up a longshot to play this season that has to be kept on the roster is a bad look to the players a team is already committed to. Lundmark was at best the 3rd best defenseman on the Moose last year, I'd argue 4th, a solidly quiet training camp doesn't elevate him to being claim worthy.

Reactions: JetsFan815

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

I like how players on the first or second year of their ELC are “over baked” now…

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012

And to be clear I am not really upset about Lambert and Chibs getting sent to the AHL, just more pre-emptively being wary of another move at the deadline to "upgrade 2C" at the cost of assets. All things considered until there are injuries the guys in front of them are better than Lambert/Chibs.

At the end of the day the way I see it, it is not forwards in the middle or bottom of the lineup that are likely to hold this team back, it is the guys at the top. Appleton is the main piece where legit improvement can be made but even there the benefit would be moving him to the 4th line and playing Ehlers in his spot.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012

You guys are stressing over Lundmark for no reason. I am not even breaking a sweat at him getting put on waivers, even if he gets claimed. He is no Kovacevic, Chisholm or Eyssimont. Very little chance he gets claimed and even if he does good for him and everyone moves on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad