GDT: All things training camp

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I'm really hoping Lundmark clears. He had himself a very uneventful camp and that's not an insult for a defenseman like him.
I think most teams are trying to get their own "Lundmark" through waivers right now so I'm hopeful he clears

The fact that he has zero NHL experience works in our favor. A team would be making a claim based on potential instead of the fact that he's a proven upgrade over what they have (although Chisholm and the great Kovacevic were similar)

Reactions: Bender Duster

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
We just came off a season with 110 points. I don't think they need to do much to the lineup. If it doesn't go right its far easier to bring in your younger guys then.

The reason they have trouble selling tickets is a much more far reaching problem for society in general then they need an "exciting" team for people to come out too and watch.

But this was not the lineup that got us 110 points. This closer to the lineup that went nearly 500 for the back half of the season and then got destroyed in the first round.

Reactions: jungles and hn777

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
line-up nearly the same as last year? gee who would've thunk that? :rolleyes:

bu bu but chevy and arniel said young guys in the line up! wont somebody think about the prospects!!! 😭

seriously though, if this is the line-up, extremely unsurprising. the fwd group is the same cast of characters to start last year. 0 trades occurred, 0 FAs left. non-generational prospects are unlikely to start the season on the Jets w/o clear openings. but some on HF were so confident in some vaunted prospect or youth movement.... was never going to happen imo.

top-4d pretty easy to predict. 3rd pair-i didn't think miller would sign here w/o a starting at 3rd pair D rather than the pressbox. so really, 3LD was probably the only realistic skater position open bw heinola, stanley etc.
Ya I'm pissed that we are basically bringing back the same team that finished 4th overall last season.

• Haha
Reactions: Royale With Cheese

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Jets cycle every season:

1. We have a couple of C prospects... maybe we should try them early in the season to see what we have in them.

2. Nah Names or whoever the vet is should play 2C, let the other players develop in an easier situation.

3. It's January, Jets are in the playoff hunt now it's "too late" to experiment with internal 2C options. "The Jets are trying to make a playoff run".

4. It's Feb our current veteran 2C is not good enough for management or fans standards. Trade a high pick to get a vet 2C

5. It's april hey maybe this 2C will resign with the Jets long term

6. It's July. The vet 2C walks to UFA. "This now opens up an opportunity for younger players for that role"

7. It is October, go back to 1 and repeat thr process.

Ftr, I am fine with Names C'ing that 2nd line but there better not even be a discussion about a "2C deadline upgrade" without even trying any internal options.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
But this was not the lineup that got us 110 points. This closer to the lineup that went nearly 500 for the back half of the season and then got destroyed in the first round.
the Jets lineup last season prior to the Monahan and evidently Tofolli additions was 30-12-5, 3rd in the league with a 0.691 pts%. the entire fwd group is the same, the thing that has changed is dillon and schmidt are out. and a new back-up goalie.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Yeah for sure. Seen it play out too many times. Skilled guy gets pigeon holed into not making any risky plays ever and their creativity and production suffers.

Heard it on the broadcast with Sawyer last night..

1) backhand feed by Lambert at the blue line is risky and should be "put down low"
2) similar feed from Connor is a "skilled play"

This to me is a microcausm of why he should be playing AHL until we need him in the top six

I agree with the idea, I just think it's unrealistic to expect anything other than Lowry as tough matchups C. It's been this way for 10 years now.
Lamberts' backhand feed at the blue line is terrible. Got him benched at the WJC. Cost goals against in the WHL and the AHL. Saw it again in exhibition. He needs to not do that 'cause everyone defending him knows he will do it.

the Jets lineup last season prior to the Monahan and evidently Tofolli additions was 30-12-5, 3rd in the league with a 0.691 pts%. the entire fwd group is the same, the thing that has changed is dillon and schmidt are out. and a new back-up goalie.
Bold = significant changes (losses).

Plus they should all be butt hurt from how the playoffs went. Will that hang over them or make them a better team?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Lamberts' backhand feed at the blue line is terrible. Got him benched at the WJC. Cost goals against in the WHL and the AHL. Saw it again in exhibition. He needs to not do that 'cause everyone defending him knows he will do it.

Bold = significant changes (losses).

Plus they should all be butt hurt from how the playoffs went. Will that hang over them or make them a better team?
brossoit played 12 games up until that point, and was 7-3-2 or 0.67 pts%. for simplicity sake let's assume he went 0.50 pts%, that would've equated to a 0.649 pts% overall which is good for a 106 pt season.

i won't argue that the dillon is a loss, samberg given his proficiency in the third pair should be able to fill in nicely as a 2nd pair dman. but a tbd of course.

so how is this team rn closer to the 0.500 pts% that the OP suggested?

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
line-up nearly the same as last year? gee who would've thunk that? :rolleyes:

bu bu but chevy and arniel said young guys in the line up! wont somebody think about the prospects!!! 😭

This definitely puts an end to the narrative that "Chevy wants younger players to play but the coach refuses" or that "Chevy and the Coach are at odds with their lineup/deployment decisions".

Arniel- a rookie coach is in no position to go against the wishes of a veteran GM like Chevy so, this lineup is what Chevy feels comfortable with and very likely Chevy was also onboard with various unpopular moves by Bones/Maurice.

Reactions: surixon

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
This definitely puts an end to the narrative that "Chevy wants younger players to play but the coach refuses" or that "Chevy and the Coach are at odds with their lineup/deployment decisions".

Arniel- a rookie coach is in no position to go against the wishes of a veteran GM like Chevy so, this lineup is what Chevy feels comfortable with and very likely Chevy was also onboard with various unpopular moves by Bones/Maurice.
it's almost always been that way , but some refuse to see or believe it. i don't know why.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I think @Buffdog is correct. The young players getting the opportunity were to be Ville and possibly Kupari/Gus.

It seems this org intends to over bake everyone else.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think @Buffdog is correct. The young players getting the opportunity were to be Ville and possibly Kupari/Gus.

It seems this org intends to over bake everyone else.
Let's see how it plays out. As of now the injuries are piling up a bit and the best of the kids are still in camp. And no way can he mean Kupari who is as close to totally useless as a player can be. And in all honesty Gus will never be more than a 4th liner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad