GDT: All things training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Yeah, it's going to be hard to play "aggressive" if they are playing lots of minutes in all situations.
PP is gravy time. But there seems to be a push to have 2 top six, 2 bottom six lines that can compete for ES playing time. That might balance minutes efficiently.

I think it makes sense, you get into a penalty string you don't want to ice your best players, and sounds like he wants the skill taking chances on the PK...Connor had a good run before on the PK. Scheif has never been good at it. But he's potentially the only RHC who coaches would want taking d-zone draws, if Kupari doesn't make the cut.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
PP is gravy time. But there seems to be a push to have 2 top six, 2 bottom six lines that can compete for playing ES playing time. That might balance minutes efficiently.

I think it makes sense, you get into a penalty string you don't want to ice your best players, and sounds like he wants the skill taking chances on the PK...Connor had a good run before on the PK. Scheif has never been good at it. But he's potentially the only RHC who coaches would want taking d-zone draws, if Kupari doesn't make the cut.

We've seen both KC and Mark stop moving their feet later in games and the year as they take extended shifts with their current deployment.

I hope the mantra is short and hard shifts if we want to play an aggressive game.

I have no issue with them killing penalties as long as their total minutes are managed so that they are fresh throughout the year.

We need more balanced distributions so that the team is able to have something in the tank for playoffs.

Reactions: hockeyarena

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
If that is the case then I expect to see some more balance in terms of 5 on 5 ice distribution. I don't want Mark playing 23 minutes a game if he is also getting PK time.
May not be the case (and we're not even out of TC lol), but when I saw that quote about the skill guys playing more PK, one thing I was thinking is that maybe that opens the door to not have to use your 4th line to have guys like AJF, Gus, etc, and maybe they can start to use guys like Lambert and Chibrikov (eventually) there because maybe that 4th line could get more minutes and more offensive minutes to help spell off the top 6 guys playing on the PK.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
We've seen both KC and Mark stop moving their feet later in games and the year as they take extended shifts with their current deployment.

I hope the mantra is short and hard shifts if we want to play an aggressive game.

I have no issue with them killing penalties as long as their total minutes are managed so that they are fresh throughout the year.

We need more balanced distributions so that the team is able to have something in the tank for playoffs.

Absolutely agree with this. If the six PKers are Lowry, Appleton, Barron, Iafallo, Scheifele and Connor, that should mean more 5v5 minutes for everyone else.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
May not be the case (and we're not even out of TC lol), but when I saw that quote about the skill guys playing more PK, one thing I was thinking is that maybe that opens the door to not have to use your 4th line to have guys like AJF, Gus, etc, and maybe they can start to use guys like Lambert and Chibrikov (eventually) there because maybe that 4th line could get more minutes and more offensive minutes to help spell off the top 6 guys playing on the PK.

Interesting thought. The have had Chibrikov with Namestnikov a lot and Lambert was 2C today so you might be onto something in terms of the long term plan.

The Jets have too many established vets on sizable deals to break camp that way though.

Reactions: Huffer

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think that's a natural occurrence to Lambert playing 2C...I don't think there was anything impressive about Namestnikov's 1st game at 2C, albeit with less talent (Chibrikov and Appleton), but against less talent. Kupari's 1st preseason game was uninspiring. Against less talented players. You might come down to a Barron/Gustafsson battle for 4C in TC, if Lambert sticks.

I think the fact the Jets have given up 3 PP goals already in preseason might have the effect you state. Get more all around skill, let your best players have an impact in all facets of the game.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I was surprised Julien got sent to junior but Dale Hunter might have made the call for him.

And the Moose top 9 looks set

Something like

Chibrikov-Toninato-Lucius (I think Chibrikov is one of the last cuts)
Torgersson-Zhilkin-AJF
JAD-Shaw-Ford

with Suess, Nikkanen and King as the 4th line?

Torgersson, Ford and Lundmark stuck around from the B group. Milic too. See how long they last.

Bender Duster

Sep 16, 2024
I normally don't follow the OHL too much but with the Jets now having some exciting prospects in that league I think I'll be following a little more closely.

I thought He looked good throughout camp. I think Julien will take another step this year. He looked good in the OHL playoffs last year and London usually has a dominant team. I'm also interested to see how much Walton grows his game this year.

On the guys Moose bound - I thought Anhorn showed pretty well during camp. He could earn a big role on the Moose if he keeps his game up. Kind of thought they'd keep Lucius around a little longer just to grow his confidence a little, but I guess Moose camp will get him more reps. As long as he doesn't get hit by a puck or anything...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I normally don't follow the OHL too much but with the Jets now having some exciting prospects in that league I think I'll be following a little more closely.

I thought He looked good throughout camp. I think Julien will take another step this year. He looked good in the OHL playoffs last year and London usually has a dominant team. I'm also interested to see how much Walton grows his game this year.

On the guys Moose bound - I thought Anhorn showed pretty well during camp. He could earn a big role on the Moose if he keeps his game up. Kind of thought they'd keep Lucius around a little longer just to grow his confidence a little, but I guess Moose camp will get him more reps. As long as he doesn't get hit by a puck or anything...

They didn't even give Lucius a game, wonder if he's still not cleared to play.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
So Schief and KFC will be together on the PK.

Helle will have his work cut out for him.
2068f7c169fa828c13209bfec6356e52.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad