Player Discussion: All things Emil Bemstrom

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
posted because many were calling for it

didn't state any opinion on whether it improves much -- I think everyone knows the answer to that

I wasn't referring to you, it was directed at the general board. quoted since you posted the original link

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Yes, he's super young.

Bjorkstrand didn't become a full time Jacket until he was 23 and overripe. They're taking a very different approach with Bemstrom, perhaps he has a clause that he can't be sent to the AHL. It seems like that would be the better place for him at this time.
But no AHL play yet...so is it better to get NHL experience, despite not being ready, or to simply sit and watch? The move to the taxi squad this morning makes sense for team’s immediate needs; developing young players will be difficult until AHL begins play (probably not this season unless Covid vaccine process accelerated exponentially. And the taxi squad, while primarily in place to help w/ keeping NHL schedule moving forward, is also an indicator of no AHL likely this season. If only Bemstrom’s development were our only (or biggest) issue.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
But no AHL play yet...so is it better to get NHL experience, despite not being ready, or to simply sit and watch? The move to the taxi squad this morning makes sense for team’s immediate needs; developing young players will be difficult until AHL begins play (probably not this season unless Covid vaccine process accelerated exponentially. And the taxi squad, while primarily in place to help w/ keeping NHL schedule moving forward, is also an indicator of no AHL likely this season. If only Bemstrom’s development were our only (or biggest) issue.

Yeah, I'd rather they sit one of the underperforming vets so Bem keeps getting play time.

Reactions: Cowumbus

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Bemstrom is 2nd among CBJ forwards in terms of xG% this season.

If you had told me that prior to the season, the first thing I would ask is if he was 2nd to Robinson, and playing on his opposite wing. And sure enough, he is a distant 2nd to Eric Robinson, who is pushing a bus on that line.

Reactions: DarkandStormy

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

The AHL is still scheduled to start February 5th.

The taxi squad takes the place of the AHL for the purposes of call-ups, it doesn't replace it for other purposes. It's solely to have a group that is in a bubble with the big club so they don't have to wait for call-ups to quarantine.

The difficulty with sending Bemstrom to the AHL, in addition to any out-clauses he may have, is that he'd have to report to quarantine before joining them and quarantine again before rejoining the big club or its taxi squad. How long does that take? Five days? Two weeks? Is it worth it? I'm a believer that the AHL caliber of play is the ideal spot for him to develop so I'd still do it but it is cumbersome this year.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Bemstrom is 0-2-2 in 15 games this season and just 10-12-22 in his first 71 NHL games. Are we sure he even plays in North America next season?

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
IMHO very good. Maybe this season isn't too good what's happen stats but he's very talented player and it would be stupidity to don't sign ním.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
IMHO very good. Maybe this season isn't too good what's happen stats but he's very talented player and it would be stupidity to don't sign ním.
Yup.. look no further than Patrik Laine and his struggles in this system . At some point people need to understand it’s a systems issue , not a player issue . Spacing is poor , there is no set offensive structure to pass the puck to effective scoring areas ... it’s dig it out of corner, low % shots from the point , and try to take advantage of a turnover and use speed to get to net . This is why players like Cam , have had some success here .

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Spacing is poor , there is no set offensive structure to pass the puck to effective scoring areas ...
If all this is happening, it's because the players aren't executing. They aren't moving the puck well enough to get the defense out of position. Guys aren't moving to the open areas to get the passes. The coaches aren't on the bench using controllers to put people in position, the players have to do it. They have to read the defense and find the open areas. They aren't doing that.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Yup.. look no further than Patrik Laine and his struggles in this system . At some point people need to understand it’s a systems issue , not a player issue . Spacing is poor , there is no set offensive structure to pass the puck to effective scoring areas ... it’s dig it out of corner, low % shots from the point , and try to take advantage of a turnover and use speed to get to net . This is why players like Cam , have had some success here .

And Panarin. And Anderson. And Bjorkstand. And Werenski. And Jones. And PLD. And Saad. And Gagne.

Bookker

Sep 17, 2010
Bemstrom was not drafted to be a fourth line player, probably not even a third line player. He has the highest CF% on the team.

You have to play him more than 11:44 ATOI (12:35 is avg 4th line ATOI) if you want him to develop.

+1
I really like the kid and I want him to succeed here :nod:
But he need to score some goals... he had opportunities

I'm fine to give him more ice time though

Last edited:

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Panarin’s best seasons have been in NY. Anderson on pace for his best season. PLD and Saad are the exact same players in CHI/COL and WPG.

Gagner for sure though is a good one.

You people keep saying “ best” as if there is nothing more to evaluate a hockey player other than how many points he scores.

God.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
You people keep saying “ best” as if there is nothing more to evaluate a hockey player other than how many points he scores.

God.
Josh Anderson this season Corsi% 56.5% (career best), FF% 57.6% (career best), 2.2 PTS/60 (career best) 15/20 points at 5v5, 67.2% Shots Through% (career best), 15.86 ATOI (lowest ever since 22 Year old season).

God. What a joke.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Bemstrom eyes role with Blue Jackets for upcoming campaign

"He's going to get a great opportunity here to not only play but play a big role and be a goal scorer on this level that he was in the Swedish League," Kekalainen said of a player who signed a three-year entry-level contract in May.
In fact, the general manager has long been excited about the potential of Bemstrom, who at 19 years old a season ago led the SHL in the regular season with 23 goals in 47 games to earn league rookie of the year honors. Also a member of Sweden's World Juniors team who already has debuted with the full national team as well, Bemstrom added 12 assists for 35 points, then had a 5-5-10 line in 19 postseason games for a Djurgårdens IF team that made it all the way to the SHL final.

At the trade deadline, Kekalainen referred to Bemstrom as a player many teams inquired about but one he had no interest in trading, in part because of his historic season in the SHL. Names like Forsberg, Sedin, Pettersson and Naslund come up when looking at the list of players to score so impressively at Bemstrom's age in Sweden.

"He's done some significant things," Kekalainen said. "No one talks about him, but every time I talk to a GM, that's the guy they ask about, or they ask about (2018 first-round pick) Liam Foudy, or they as about Alexandre Texier, and it's a no every time. It's a nonstarter."
That's an article from June 14, 2019. Wonder how much his trade value has dropped in the last two+ years.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
That's an article from June 14, 2019. Wonder how much his trade value has dropped in the last two+ years.

Not that much I bet. I'm guessing there's many hockey people that think Bemstrom can still pop. Getting off the 4th line, add a little more physical and mental maturity, who knows.

He's also shown in the last two years that he isn't any kind of liability. The kid positions well without the puck. He's shown that he won't hurt you, and that helps counter some of the value lost by the tepid scoring.

Reactions: Viqsi and thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Also can we make proper threads for our players? When we use old signing threads it shows up on my screen as "Emil Bemstrom signs three year...". I literally thought he was just extended.

Reactions: tunnelvision

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Also can we make proper threads for our players? When we use old signing threads it shows up on my screen as "Emil Bemstrom signs three year...". I literally thought he was just extended.

C'mon man..you're smart enough to figure this out. Or we could just ask a mod or the OP to edit the title. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad