Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Mixed feelings about bringing Laine back. He is not really the type of player the Jets need. They need grit and passion and compete.

If it was cheap enough acquisition I guess it is worth a shot. Moving Ehlers for him does not make the team better.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Not high in the likelihood of happening, but regarding our two biggest trade chips Ehlers and McGroarty, I wonder about the option of moving both for 2025 1st round picks, and then backfilling them by a combo of our own prospects (Lambert), and looking to use the cap space to get a useful player on an expiring deal from a team looking to move cap. (I haven't looked at all the teams though that are looking to move Cap to see what's available). Or players that seem to be rumored to be available like Frost and Farabee from the Flyers.

If we could get the Sabres 2025 1st for Ehlers, and the Jackets 2025 1st for McGroarty, those picks could turn out very well (both teams rumored to be interested). Lambert could likely find a role on the Jets in 2024, and the Jets could try and acquire Frost or Farabee to add to the lineup (as an example).

Reactions: hn777 and Eyeseeing

Wpgpage

Nov 25, 2010
Or players that seem to be rumored to be available like Frost and Farabee from the Flyers.
Frost and one of PHI's 3 first rounders that they have for 2025 seems like a pretty realistic trade for Rutger. Would prefer a defenseman but if that trade isn't out there this isnt a bad substitute.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Not high in the likelihood of happening, but regarding our two biggest trade chips Ehlers and McGroarty, I wonder about the option of moving both for 2025 1st round picks, and then backfilling them by a combo of our own prospects (Lambert), and looking to use the cap space to get a useful player on an expiring deal from a team looking to move cap. (I haven't looked at all the teams though that are looking to move Cap to see what's available). Or players that seem to be rumored to be available like Frost and Farabee from the Flyers.

If we could get the Sabres 2025 1st for Ehlers, and the Jackets 2025 1st for McGroarty, those picks could turn out very well (both teams rumored to be interested). Lambert could likely find a role on the Jets in 2024, and the Jets could try and acquire Frost or Farabee to add to the lineup (as an example).
saw your post on the main boards and i really don't think Chevy is interested in a trade around draft picks for either.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
saw your post on the main boards and i really don't think Chevy is interested in a trade around draft picks for either.
I don't think he's looking strictly for draft picks either, but it did sound like he was interested in the Wilds pick before they decided to trade up a spot and use it.

Really though it's just another avenue to get to the same place.

Opt 1: Trade Ehlers + McGroarty for roster players
Opt 2: Trade Ehlers + McGroarty for picks / prospects and then use picks/prospects to acquire (hopefully discounted) roster players.

The complexity with option 2 is that you have to have both sides of the trades figured out and agreed to in order to make it work.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
yes the forwards are the same as last year game 1..... several of whom fizzled and were replaced with rentals. not to mention the fact our forwards from line 2 on down EVAPORATED in the playoffs...even our rentals......both of whom left......

what if Fa should we have dione? trade for a guy like OEL, or maybe Chychrun or Chris Tanev.... sign a guy like Aho or Matt Roy... trade for a guy like hanafin or Forsling or and RFA with McG and Ehlers as bait.... SOMETHING to fix a years long issue on the back end.

and the Oilers are going to be a handful going forward...so it's not just our division we need to worry about.... I remember the 80's and 90's of slamming into the Oil and losing over and over...I'd like some insurance against that....or at least some hope we can compete against that....

does that Jennings feel like something after we were swept from the playoffs? does that trophy make us contenders? do you really feel that the utter failure to properly address our D over the last four years is a good thing?

....to quote brad pit in moneyball.....

nobody gives a shit if you lose the last game of the season.
oh, ok... so you just have unrealistic expectations... gotcha, no point in carrying on with this convo

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
is it unrealistic to expect a GM to take less than half a decade to address a known Key issue on his team?

mmm OK.
thinking that florida would trade us forsling... thinking that roy, tanev would even sign here... trading oel who was a free agent?

Last edited:

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
What do people think about Nick Robertson? What's his worth/value?

I would imagine about the same as Ville Heinola. He is the forward version of Heinola. Too good for the AHL smallish player who has to pass through waivers but is unproven at the NHL level. Heinola gets about a mid 2nd so I'd place it in that range.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

I wonder if the organization wants Ehlers to cross paths with Lambert this year...where you give a kid with speed a chance to learn how to play in the NHL with speed from someone who excels at it. Ehlers is the longest tenured European on the team, and I could see the Jets wanting him to kind of lead the group of young Europeans on the team, the way Enstrom did for him and Laine

His trade value at the deadline would be 1st and prospect conceivably.

I wonder if Chevy really sticks it to Mc Groarty, he has no obligation to trade him, but the kid is going to be in college while his friends are earning NHL paycheques, travelling in the big league. Can trade him at the deadline if the Jets are contending, and his value is more than a 2025 1st, where you have a player ready to join the ranks already.

I think Chevy's next job is start signing RFAs, before he goes on vacation. Hopefully the negotiations with Perfetti and Kurt Overhardt don't prolong too long.

Reactions: Buffdog

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I wonder if the discussions with Carolina for Necas are actually centred around Perfetti and not Ehlers or McGroarty. Perfetti might actually fit nicely into their team. Chevy could try to get Ehlers extended then for his left side; maybe Lambert on the right side. Probably an add required from us.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I wonder if the discussions with Carolina for Necas are actually centred around Perfetti and not Ehlers or McGroarty. Perfetti might actually fit nicely into their team. Chevy could try to get Ehlers extended then for his left side; maybe Lambert on the right side. Probably an add required from us.
What makes you think this?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Where is the cap space coming to keep both those two coming from. Both will want $8 million, throw in Vilardi likely getting 6 plus next summer and there isn't room.

If the Jets want Necas real money would have to go the other way hence Ehlers.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
What makes you think this?
Need for speed. Insistence that Ehlers is part of the future. Still being linked with discussions for Necas.

Thought there was some pre-draft rumours about Chevy listening, or teams asking, on Perfetti.

Where is the cap space coming to keep both those two coming from. Both will want $8 million, throw in Vilardi likely getting 6 plus next summer and there isn't room.
Maybe Connor next summer, who's going to want $9-10 million?

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Need for speed. Insistence that Ehlers is part of the future. Still being linked with discussions for Necas.

Thought there was summer pre-draft rumours about Chevy listening, or teams asking, on Perfetti.
Not that it it is a out of left field idea, but if Perfetti is on the table, I'd think it would be to pry a young top 4 RHD out from somewhere.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015

Thought there was summer pre-draft rumours about Chevy listening, or teams asking, on Perfetti.

just unreliable pagnotta who said teams were calling to see about perfetti, nobody has said anything about them listening, I think the org is high on perfetti and doubt they even consider moving him when we already have uncertainty on ehlers/mcgroarty

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

So then why not move him now and keep the cheap good young player. Perfetti is valuable because he'll give you quality top 6 results for $3.5 million over the next 2 seasons. That has significant value for a cap team.

Also If you take Chevy at his word vis a vis Ehlers then you should with Cole as well who he says stands to get a much larger role under Arniel.

I don't recall hearing anything about Cole being available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad