Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
So you think they keep Schmidt? They definitely could but based on my number crunching they likely need the cap savings.
I think they might just ride out his contract and work the rest of it out around his cap hit.
They can do that if they lose Dillon and promote Ville

Reactions: surixon

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If we lose Dillon, Stanley is the only physical D man left.
I don't even want Stanley on the team next year.
If Sammy had a mean streak, I'd be okay with losing Dillon. Sammy has no mean streak.
I'm conflicted on Dillon. I 100% want him back, but I think he pushes for more term then most around here are comfortable with. This is his last shot at any significant dollars. Do you settle for the 2 years Chevy is likely pushing for, or do you go to July 1st and see if there is a team desperate enough for defense you can push the term to 4 years in the same AAV range?

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Depends on how they go about replacing them.

My guess is Ville replaces Schmidt's role. So imo we don't lose much there physicality wise.

If we don't bring someone in then Stanley likely gets into the lineup. So we dont lose size and physicality there but he's not as good a player as Dillon.

I still hope they bring in a Poluck to play with JoMo. That would add size and top 4 ability.
Not as good as Dillon and not as physical or intimidating either. Stanley is a turnstile that needs to move on.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
so much love for a bunch of middling Dmen on this board. And I had to eat insult after insult all last spring when I said that our D would be exposed when we faced legit cup contending offence.

what happened? Oh yeah the inability to clear the zone or properly defend had us blown out in 5 games. and we didn't deserve to win the one game we fluked out.

Dillon is a 5-6 guy at best on a legit cup contender Demello is 4-5 we need at least 2 top 4 legit D-men if we want to have ost season success.

letshoppe some teams put more emphasis ohnn Ehlers fancy stats than his actual on ice results and trade us AZ proper D-man to watch ehlers magnificaent zone entry, turn it over and give up odd man rushes...
I feel like Ehlers is in control of his own trade because you would think that any team trading for him wants to sign him long term or the offer won't be that high. Ehlers now gets to decide where he wants to play, probably one more good contact to play out...I think his ability to draw penalties and get a team to the playoffs is still appealing for many of the 16 teams that didn't get any playoff excitement and revenue this year. ...If De Melo and Dillon punched above their weight class here I still think they will get rewarded for being key parts of the Jets regular season success.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
spending my day shivering at the lake, looking for trade possibilities for the Jets....

To NYR: Kyle Connor, Ville Heinola
To WPG: Braden Schneider, Alexis Lafreniere

Good year from Laf, might necessitate an add from the Jets. Laf is an RFA though, might be a big wedge.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
spending my day shivering at the lake, looking for trade possibilities for the Jets....

To NYR: Kyle Connor, Ville Heinola
To WPG: Braden Schneider, Alexis Lafreniere

Good year from Laf, might necessitate an add from the Jets. Laf is an RFA though, might be a big wedge.
I don't think there is any way in the world the Rangers trade 22 y/o Schneider. He is an RFA with no arbitration rights. The Rangers will get him extended on a cheap bridge for 2 years and then Trouba will be gone and he will move nicely into their #2 RHD spot behind Fox and get his payday. The Rangers don't need Connor or Ville, they need Schneider, so they will keep Schneider.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't know how it will sort but I was referring to the loss of Dillon - and potentially being replaced by Ville.
I also assume Demelo signs.
So based on what I think will happen up to this point (Dillon gone, Demelo signed), I only see Ville replacing Dillon.
So Samberg moves up into Dillons spot and Ville steps in as part or the 3rd pair - whatever that looks like in the end.
I don't see Stan in the picture other than as a 7th - and I don't necessarily see them moving on from Smitty.

This isn't what I hope they do - but it's what I think they do.

Not unlikely. Not a path to getting 10% better though. More like 10% worse.

I would prefer keeping Dillon, buying out Schmidt (seems a more likely buyout candidate than Pionk to me). Ville moves into Schmidt's spot. Playing 3rd pair with Snerg should be a good path to bring Ville in on. Much safer than bringing him in on a 3rd pair with Schmidt as his partner.

Reactions: Dale53130 and hn777

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm conflicted on Dillon. I 100% want him back, but I think he pushes for more term then most around here are comfortable with. This is his last shot at any significant dollars. Do you settle for the 2 years Chevy is likely pushing for, or do you go to July 1st and see if there is a team desperate enough for defense you can push the term to 4 years in the same AAV range?

He has said he would like to stay and he has said that he hasn't had any offer of any kind from Chevy.

He might not accept any offer that Chevy would make but I would like him going elsewhere for more rather than just going elsewhere because we never even made an offer. Dillon will soon be 34 after next season begins. Is any team going to offer him more than 2 years at a decent AAV?

AFAIK, the situation is similar with DeMelo except that he just turned 31.

What does Chevy think he is going to do for a D corps if he loses both of them?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't think there is any way in the world the Rangers trade 22 y/o Schneider. He is an RFA with no arbitration rights. The Rangers will get him extended on a cheap bridge for 2 years and then Trouba will be gone and he will move nicely into their #2 RHD spot behind Fox and get his payday. The Rangers don't need Connor or Ville, they need Schneider, so they will keep Schneider.

If I'm NYR, I agree.
But I like it for Jets. I would add a pretty nice piece to incentivize Rangers. I don't think the OP is so far off that it would require anything silly.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
If we lose Dillon, Stanley is the only physical D man left.
I don't even want Stanley on the team next year.
If Sammy had a mean streak, I'd be okay with losing Dillon. Sammy has no mean streak.
Does Stanley even consider re-signing here? How many times does a guy have to lose his starting spot in the lineup before he is fed up...He's one year from UFA. That will be an interesting one...

I'll say this about Big Stan...If he gets sent to the East where all the fighters are, he's not a great scrapper other than the reach, might get his career shortened in one punch.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Does Stanley even consider re-signing here? How many times does a guy have to lose his starting spot in the lineup before he is fed up...He's one year from UFA. That will be an interesting one...

I'll say this about Big Stan...If he gets sent to the East where all the fighters are, he's not a great scrapper other than the reach, might get his career shortened in one punch.
Does he have a choice?
Offer sheet?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I mean he won't hold out as he hasn't made enough in his career and he'll juat get jumped by more players here. He'll sign a one year deal and then walk next summer.

I imagine he's added onto someone in a trade this summer though.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Not unlikely. Not a path to getting 10% better though. More like 10% worse.

I would prefer keeping Dillon, buying out Schmidt (seems a more likely buyout candidate than Pionk to me). Ville moves into Schmidt's spot. Playing 3rd pair with Snerg should be a good path to bring Ville in on. Much safer than bringing him in on a 3rd pair with Schmidt as his partner.
The "10% better" thing is a myth - an arbitrary number that they pulled from thin air that doesn't address the PO performance issues they have.
The path I laid out has nothing to do with getting better - it's simply my best guess and what may happen.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Does he have a choice?
Offer sheet?
As a Jets fan you always have to be worried about the dreaded holdout...the precedent has been set. After some struggles with Samberg in the playoffs and more with Schmidt, who would be the guy to complement him? I cringe at a Stanley/Heinola pairing defensively...offensively might get some scoring chances out of the 2...Of all the guys no one is talking about Lundmark is the only PK replacement level player in the organization defensively but I'm not sure what that would like either.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If I'm NYR, I agree.
But I like it for Jets. I would add a pretty nice piece to incentivize Rangers. I don't think the OP is so far off that it would require anything silly.
Teams don't easily trade players they already have that are young and fit important needs for them. If they want a softish scoring winger they will just get one as a UFA, no need to trade away important pieces to get one when scoring isn't a problem for you.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Pagnotta wondering if NY Islanders trade a 1st for Ehlers.

Ullmark leads hot goalie market; Marner wants to stay — The Fourth Period
I wondered about the trade the Isles made to move down in the draft...Lou doesn't use draft picks for development, so in terms of trade capital that was odd... Maybe the extra 2nd was for trade capital. Jets could probably get a good player with their high 2nd round pick if they go that route. But that 1st isn't enough to get Ehlers...and the Isles don't have prospects that are intriguing, maybe Simon Holmstrom. Would love to get Czikas...The one thing that stands out to me on the Isles is 12 players with some kind of NTCs. Those guys are usually off limits. I think Patrick Roy with all his Q experience would like to have a guy like Ehlers who he has seen first hand succeed.

Reactions: hn777

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
As a Jets fan you always have to be worried about the dreaded holdout...the precedent has been set. After some struggles with Samberg in the playoffs and more with Schmidt, who would be the guy to complement him? I cringe at a Stanley/Heinola pairing defensively...offensively might get some scoring chances out of the 2...Of all the guys no one is talking about Lundmark is the only PK replacement level player in the organization defensively but I'm not sure what that would like either.
That's the only pair you cringe at defensively? J/K
I can see Stan back in this spot like LY - he'll move in and out of the lineup and so will Ville, Smitty (if around) or who ever they call up.
Our third pair is still up in the air at this point - Ville will be given the opportunity to win a spot full time and if he wins, he may not have the luxury of being sheltered - such is life.
We need help on D - and without it, you can expect to cringe from time to time - and maybe not just with the 3rd pair.
I'm hoping they can somehow find a top 4 dman via trade (Ehlers maybe?) - especially if Dillon moves on.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
I know a lot of the NYI rumour focus is on Pulock and rightfully so based on rhd need, but the NTC is/could be a stumbling block.

What about Romanov? Can he play the right side effectively? He is an RFA with arbitration after next season.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I know a lot of the NYI rumour focus is on Pulock and rightfully so based on rhd need, but the NTC is/could be a stumbling block.

What about Romanov? Can he play the right side effectively? He is an RFA with arbitration after next season.
I don't think Romanov is on the table after Lou already traded a 1st for him...and LD is not a depth position for the Isles. Pulock is definitely intriguing, in terms of Cap space the trade is equal. The one thing about Pulock's NTC is he signed it when Trotz was his coach. And then he was canned after missing the playoffs...so maybe different coach different relationship. Bringing him home would give the Jets an upgrade at that top RD spot, potentially. And that's a good contract to take on if you are the Jets, trading 1 year for 6. Hits 30 in October...I'd say some of the other over 30 ones potentially come with more risk.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad