Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agreed, Ehlers is far and away the best transition player on the Jets, but there is only one Ehlers and 32 teams. The other teams seem to have their own ways to get out of their zone. The team isn't sunk without him, but unless they can fill his void, they will be lesser. I hope Brad Lambert surprises everybody and pops off next season, or Cheveldayoff is able to work some of his magic and get a good value back for Ehlers. I hate how underutilized he has been. You'll trade Ehlers but keep Pionk. f***ing angry just thinking about it.

How do you propose trading Pionk?

No one has sat down and thought, 'who to trade, Ehlers or Pionk'?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Seems like perfetti is penciled in for right side then again so was ehlers... I'm a big lambert fan and think he seizes 2C if he's given the chance but we don't have a top six if ehlers is traded tor a rhd

I'd much rather give samberg and heinola time on the right side - unfair to judge samberg while he's thrust over to his offside just to help Stan stay in the lineup...

Really think an ehlers-buchnevich deal with sweeteners is the best for both teams... ehlers would really work with Thomas and kyrou - buchnevich fits the scheif window and is an upgrade on vilardi

Playing Samberg on the right side doesn't solve anything even assuming he is great there. Who plays on the left?

Which brings up an interesting question. Why have Jets not even made an offer to Dillon?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You know Chevy... he never does what people are saying.
Remember last summer Hellebuyck and Schiefele are gone and PLD will be gone for nothing.
I think they keep Ehlers if he wants to stay and Chevy moves Pionk or Schmidt to bring in a top RHD or everything remains the same and the Jets get their annual 1st round exit in April.:laugh:

I think they keep Ehlers IF HE WANTS TO STAY to. I give that very low probability.

Chances of everything remaining the same are even lower. We have 6 UFAs and no sign of any of them being signed, even those who have said they want to stay.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
idk, lots of underwhelming D get a positive trade return given either name-value or role they play in (top-4, 20+ mins a night).
a recent UFA-1 example for a universally regarded poor dmen would be ristolainen... rhd coming off a season w/ 18 pts at 22 min night got a 1st+ for instance from Philly. not sure if i expect a 1st however idk if there's zero trade-value there.
But Risto is 6'4, 220.

I would happily trade Pionk for a pocket skate sharpener, if we could get that much.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Playing Samberg on the right side doesn't solve anything even assuming he is great there. Who plays on the left?

Which brings up an interesting question. Why have Jets not even made an offer to Dillon?
I've said before that I prefer we buyout both Schmidt and pionk and sign Dillon and demelo... but heinola will be on the roster and I think Capo deserves a shot

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm sorry but giving up a 1st pair right handed physical D man that ends up being captain material for Pionk and Tiny Heiny is the definition of getting hosed in a trade.

We were hosed by Trouba before the trade. Under the circumstances, it was a good trade. The only way Chevy could have done better was to trade Trouba 2 years earlier, before he locked in on the Rangers.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I've said before that I prefer we buyout both Schmidt and pionk and sign Dillon and demelo... but heinola will be on the roster and I think Capo deserves a shot

We still have Wheelers buyout on the books for next year so I think we only have 1 more buyout we can make.

We were hosed by Trouba before the trade. Under the circumstances, it was a good trade. The only way Chevy could have done better was to trade Trouba 2 years earlier, before he locked in on the Rangers.

Yeah we made out a lot better than we should have. Rangers had us bent over a barrel and took it pretty easy on us. They could have taken us to the cleaners in that trade a lot more than they did.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I don’t know about the Rangers taking it easy on us. As a deadline rental we would have got a 1st and high end prospect or roster player maybe even another plus given the bidding war there would have been.

Getting a first and the guy that wouldn’t play anymore because Trouba pushed him out of the lineup isn’t really taking it that easy on us. Top pair rhd are never traded so I was seething with that return.

The Copp trade sort of made up for it when the 2nd became a first.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
I love all the talk that we had no choices with Trouba. Remember he held out to be traded ? There were no restrictions then that he'd only go the the Rangers. We painted ourselves into that corner.

Reactions: voyageur

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I love all the talk that we had no choices with Trouba. Remember he held out to be traded ? There were no restrictions then that he'd only go the the Rangers. We painted ourselves into that corner.

Teams also asked to speak with his agent to see if they could sign him long-term after the trade and his agent said he's only signing in NY.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

We should be signing both Dillon and DeMelo regardless of any buyouts. We should buyout one of Pionk or Schmidt regardless of signing Dillon and DeMelo.

I'm skeptical of trading Pionk but I wonder if salary retention could get him moved?

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Apparently Chevy had a better return lined up from Pittsburgh but Trouba told them he wouldn't extend there

Once his GF committed to school in NYC, that was that. SHE'S the one that painted us into that corner and I still think we did ok considering the circumstances

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
You guys are all talking the conditions about when he was traded. My point is 2 years earlier those restrictions wouldn't have existed. A team would of had 3 years of control. They waited too long on a super valuable asset that was NEVER going to stay.

Reactions: Orrrules

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
You guys are all talking the conditions about when he was traded. My point is 2 years earlier those restrictions wouldn't have existed. A team would of had 3 years of control. They waited too long on a super valuable asset that was NEVER going to stay.

I think they would've moved Trouba earlier if the right deal was available, kind of like with Laine. They were in no rush to move him, until Dubois was made available. But that's just my hunch

Reactions: Buffdog

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don’t know about the Rangers taking it easy on us. As a deadline rental we would have got a 1st and high end prospect or roster player maybe even another plus given the bidding war there would have been.

Getting a first and the guy that wouldn’t play anymore because Trouba pushed him out of the lineup isn’t really taking it that easy on us. Top pair rhd are never traded so I was seething with that return.

The Copp trade sort of made up for it when the 2nd became a first.

At the time Trouba didn't have a contract and was likely headed to arbitration on his last RFA year. He basically said it's New York or bust.

It's hard to say what we could have done with him that season. But I think it's a guarantee that his heart would not have been into playing that year. Maybe we manage to shift him into a late 1st + prospect situation at the deadline. Or maybe he plays like crap and we barely get that.

The Rangers easily could have said we'll just sign him in FA and give you nothing. Pionk had a rough year but he's still one of the better options on RHD on the team despite that.

Oh 100% Chevy waited to long on that one. But when you have a 6'3 physical RHD like Trouba I think you put every effort into retaining him that you can. I think Chevy thought maybe a nice run to the WCF would convince him to stay but he was always going to go wherever his fiance went.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Was it wasted or was it to try to be a good team? Does the team have the 2017-18 season they did without him?

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Was it wasted or was it to try to be a good team? Does the team have the 2017-18 season they did without him?
If anything maybe Chevy could have bought a few years of UFA by overpaying Trouba as soon as he hit RFA...

Chevy was in a tough spot - team was up against the cap already and we had a bunch of UFAs during the WCF run... plus Buff was the prize.

I think letting Chiarot walk was the only legit mistake - his salary wasn't going to break that bank and he wanted to stay... would have saved us from Beaulieu and Bitetto...

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
This. When assessing value of a player that's been traded, people often forget the contributions they make while they were here

By trading trouba when he did, chevy got the actual return PLUS two years of a top 4 RHD on a cheap contract. I seriously doubt that had he traded him two years before he did that we would have gotten the return we did plus a similarly skilled/priced RHD we needed to make that run

Reactions: Mooche

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad