Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XIV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
This just had to happen. This shit stain of a country... Where will it end? Russia hosting World Cups and Olympics , Qatar hosting a WC and China with the Olympics... I hope she is ok.

Not really surprising. The way these events have "(d)evolved" over the last couple of decades no sane/responsible country or city will host any of these events. They waste a ton of money for almost no gain. So that leaves the countries mentioned above as basically the only places willing to host the Games. It's a little different for the World Cup, but sprinkle in the widespread corruption and this mess is what you get.

I am no longer watching the big soccer tournaments and mostly ignoring the Olympics as well. This time I will probably not even watch the hockey tournament. I am done with this crap.

I hope the WTA keeps this up and doesn't cave.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think it's interesting that it's the WTA, which probably stands the most to lose of any sports league by getting tough with China, is the one taking a stand here. The Borg collective (the Chinese central government) appears to be rattled here a bit and doesn't really have a response other than their typical mud-slinging.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Russia is up 1-0 on Croatia in Davis Cup Final.

Despite that, this is a must win for Medvedev vs Cilic. Croatia's doubles team of Pavic and Mektic are ranked #1 and #2 in doubles respectively.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Russia is up 1-0 on Croatia in Davis Cup Final.

Despite that, this is a must win for Medvedev vs Cilic. Croatia's doubles team of Pavic and Mektic are ranked #1 and #2 in doubles respectively.
Absolutely right. And Cilic is playing very well.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Medvedev didn't play his best that first set but won the breaker when Cilic tightened just slightly. This is a totally different pressure than these guys usually have to deal with it and it can become debilitating.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Medevedev is usally a great front runner. This set might not be as difficult as the first.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Over in a flash, 6-2.

Kudos to Russia who with their depth might make a habit of winning Davis Cups for the foreseeable future. Special mention to Rublev who entered this event running on fumes for the greater part of the past two months and lost his first match against Spain to Lopez. True, he was playing the lesser lights but he came through in the clutch from the quarters onward. As for Medvedev, he responded just great to the special pressusre of being #1 singles player in this format.

Last edited:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
All sorts of articles on Twitter this morning about Serena not being on the list for the Aus Open and Djokovic trying to get a medical exemption so he doesn't have to get vaxxed.

Ben Grimm

I can't stand the rain ☔
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
All sorts of articles on Twitter this morning about Serena not being on the list for the Aus Open and Djokovic trying to get a medical exemption so he doesn't have to get vaxxed.
That's just plain embarrassing. I sure hope like hell he is firmly denied.

Reactions: Beau Knows

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rafa flew home to Spain and tested positive for Covid, mentioning that he has experienced "some unpleasant moments." So his schedule will remain uncertain for some time.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sounds like the Australian Open is caving: players can now apply for medical exemptions. Tournament director Craig Tiley issued a statement saying that all players will be vaccinated....except for a few who will be granted medical exemptions And on top of that because of alleged privacy issues, who gets the exemptions will remain secret.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Thiem is out of the Aussie Open as is Raonic, and Zverev is the latest to test positive and has mild symptoms.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Djokovic denied medical exemptions in Australia. Serbian media claim he will skip the Australian Open. (hot off the press from Express, so take with grains of salt)

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
FAA starts the year in typical fashion, blowing a set lead to Fritz in the ATP Cup. Will do no favours to his already screwed confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad