Prospect Info: All-Purpose Prospect Thread v11.0: The D Man Cometh

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So I delved deeper into the "generational" Jack Hughes vs. "Oh that other guy Turcotte" in their stats against USHL competition this season...

John Dietz in the Daily Herald article musing about certain issues like how much will D-Cat and Strom cost, said Hawks currently in 8th draft slot in the Tankathon have only a 1.7% chance of getting Hughes via winning the lotto for#1 draft spot..but in so doing labeled "Generational Jack" (my name for him) as some kind of saviour who can immediately step in and turn a team's fortune's around ....yeah...good luck with that happening to any bottom feeder "inmmediately").

However ...in comparing "Generational Jack" to the local Illinois kid,Turcotte, we find:

H: 26pts in 16 GP (6g 20a) 1.63 ppg

T: 23 pts in 11 GP (8g 15a) 2.09 ppg

H: + 8

T: + 16

H: 7.5% shooting%

T: 23.5 shooting %

H: 0 GWG

T: 2 GWG (in 5 less GP!!!)

H: 1pp goal 12 ppa

T: 1pp goal 6ppa (5 less games)*

H: 0 shorties

T: 1 shorty

The most relevant it ems here may be
that Hughes gets 50_ of his points off the pp ...whereas it is only about 30% for Turcotte 7pp pts/23)...

This shows who is the more versatile and better all-round player ...not to mention the other issues like Turcotte is taller by an inch or more and heavier by a lot ...

So :Generational Jack" has a lot of concerns to me before he instantly turns a team around..on the pp ..of course.. But horrible shooting % and not that productive at evens ...w ell the "generational"label.may be a bit ore-mature.

Turcotte can fill more roles ...especially with the Hawks where the pp is already crowded so that he would not get much chance in that role till Toews gets down-lined in a few years..

* I anm not sure if Turcotte used to the same degree Hughes is by Team USA on their 1st unit PP...if this assumption is correct ..then that he got 7 pp points in 11 GP maybe only playing 2nd pp unit or at least only 2nd pp some of the times they were on the pp is impressive. Had he played 5 more games to equal Hughes and if he also was featured on the top pp unit instead of Hughes maybe he also would have 13 pp points to equal Hughes.

My point here is that I am skeptical Hughes is "Generational" or that he is netter than Turcotte...at least based on this season's stats vs. The USHL teams .

No matter how good they both are.,I doubt either of them turns a bottom feeder team into a contender immediately ..but if can see Turcotte as a Hawks 3C impacting the effect of our 3rd line to be way better immediately. ..Hughes Ican see making a team better on the pp right away ..but there is no room for that on the Hawks..our need instead IS improving the impact from that 3rd line.

Hence my casecond is that if we do get the #1 via lottery win,I would try trading down with teams drafting #2 or #3 and take Turcotte after the trade...He may not be consensus BPA or "generational"..but for our needs in the proper role he SHOULD be the BPA best suited to help us!

I think he is pretty good on face offs too ..but I will need to find that Stat.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Weird signing. Dude has not had an impressive OHL career at all. Almost reminds me when the Hawks tried to
give Kyle Maksimovich a shot and couldn't even hack a game in the AHL. Ah well, I guess an AHL body.

Only thing with kyle he was on a ahl pto with Rockford and only played a handful of games.
He went back to Erie this years and is now playing for the Ottawa 67's.

They must see something with Johnson to give him $925k on the NHL level if he ever makes it up.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
So I delved deeper into the "generational" Jack Hughes vs. "Oh that other guy Turcotte" in their stats against USHL competition this season...

John Dietz in the Daily Herald article musing about certain issues like how much will D-Cat and Strom cost, said Hawks currently in 8th draft slot in the Tankathon have only a 1.7% chance of getting Hughes via winning the lotto for#1 draft spot..but in so doing labeled "Generational Jack" (my name for him) as some kind of saviour who can immediately step in and turn a team's fortune's around ....yeah...good luck with that happening to any bottom feeder "inmmediately").

However ...in comparing "Generational Jack" to the local Illinois kid,Turcotte, we find:

H: 26pts in 16 GP (6g 20a) 1.63 ppg

T: 23 pts in 11 GP (8g 15a) 2.09 ppg

H: + 8

T: + 16

H: 7.5% shooting%

T: 23.5 shooting %

H: 0 GWG

T: 2 GWG (in 5 less GP!!!)

H: 1pp goal 12 ppa

T: 1pp goal 6ppa (5 less games)*

H: 0 shorties

T: 1 shorty

The most relevant it ems here may be
that Hughes gets 50_ of his points off the pp ...whereas it is only about 30% for Turcotte 7pp pts/23)...

This shows who is the more versatile and better all-round player ...not to mention the other issues like Turcotte is taller by an inch or more and heavier by a lot ...

So :Generational Jack" has a lot of concerns to me before he instantly turns a team around..on the pp ..of course.. But horrible shooting % and not that productive at evens ...w ell the "generational"label.may be a bit ore-mature.

Turcotte can fill more roles ...especially with the Hawks where the pp is already crowded so that he would not get much chance in that role till Toews gets down-lined in a few years..

* I anm not sure if Turcotte used to the same degree Hughes is by Team USA on their 1st unit PP...if this assumption is correct ..then that he got 7 pp points in 11 GP maybe only playing 2nd pp unit or at least only 2nd pp some of the times they were on the pp is impressive. Had he played 5 more games to equal Hughes and if he also was featured on the top pp unit instead of Hughes maybe he also would have 13 pp points to equal Hughes.

My point here is that I am skeptical Hughes is "Generational" or that he is netter than Turcotte...at least based on this season's stats vs. The USHL teams .

No matter how good they both are.,I doubt either of them turns a bottom feeder team into a contender immediately ..but if can see Turcotte as a Hawks 3C impacting the effect of our 3rd line to be way better immediately. ..Hughes Ican see making a team better on the pp right away ..but there is no room for that on the Hawks..our need instead IS improving the impact from that 3rd line.

Hence my casecond is that if we do get the #1 via lottery win,I would try trading down with teams drafting #2 or #3 and take Turcotte after the trade...He may not be consensus BPA or "generational"..but for our needs in the proper role he SHOULD be the BPA best suited to help us!

I think he is pretty good on face offs too ..but I will need to find that Stat.
Only Fiddy could label a guy as generational, when no one else is, and then explain why hes not generational, which is what everyone else has already said.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
I think Fiddy is trying way too hard to redeem himself here because everyone still gives him shit about wanting Turris over Kane.

If your always the guy with the out there takes, your bound to be right once...

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
That was a beauty by Boqvist ...if the game were always 3x3 he would dominate with break-aways and finishes...BUT it reminds us that because he is an elite slater he could be a GREAT forward...defenses would be in consent threat when he attacks But of course as a d-man he must only choose his moments to go full on attack to the net and instead spend a lot of time just back in coverages ..Not saying he won'the be a great d-man ...but I just imagine the threat he would pose defenses if he were a forward and just allowed to try constant rushes and break-aways taking passes at full speed and leaving g guys in the dust . It does present some alternative thoughts.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Apart from that break-away beauty in OT by Boqvist to win the game,the other highlight reel moment from OHL games tonight was Ottawa 67s RW Graeme Clarke (2019 draft eligibke) score a "lacrosse style"goal sweeping puck on blade of his stick and flinging it in as he came around from the back of the Kingston net ..thus too was a beauty..perhaps it wins the best style points of any of these lacrosse style goals ...it just looked smooth and artistic in execution...However once he got to the bench his coach chewed him out ...as in never do that again...perhaps the coach felt it was a showboat move and he wants his teM to stick to basic hockey ...or perhaps he was afraid players doing this would be trees of retribution and he did not want some Kingston Goin to go after Clarke later I the game?

Whatever...it was a great goal and entertainment ...a one if the 2 highlights of the night from the OHL this eve ING.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
When d-man Bouchard scored 25 goals last season for the Knights, previous Knight D-man to score 20 goals was
Danny Syvret (19) in 2004-2005 season, he scored 23 goals, same season Bryan Rodney (20) also scored 23 goals.

From 1998-1999 season on by Knights d-men to score 20 goals or more a season

27 Dennis Wideman (01-02) - 18 years old
25 Evan Bouchard (17-18) - 18 years old
24 Dennis Wideman (03-04) - 20 years old
23 Danny Syvret (04-05) - 19 years old
23 Bryan Rodney (04-05) - 20 year old
20 Adam Boqvist (18-19) - 18 years old
20 Dennis Wideman (02-03) - 19 years old

Boqvist is the youngest of the 18 year olds.

Last edited:

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
That was a beauty by Boqvist ...if the game were always 3x3 he would dominate with break-aways and finishes...BUT it reminds us that because he is an elite slater he could be a GREAT forward...defenses would be in consent threat when he attacks But of course as a d-man he must only choose his moments to go full on attack to the net and instead spend a lot of time just back in coverages ..Not saying he won'the be a great d-man ...but I just imagine the threat he would pose defenses if he were a forward and just allowed to try constant rushes and break-aways taking passes at full speed and leaving g guys in the dust . It does present some alternative thoughts.
You have no idea what you’re saying. Even if Boqvist takes a little longer to develop his defensive game, offense is so damn important where so many players struggle to produce it.

You have to be patient with him and understand that he is on track to be a literal game changer. You can’t have 6 defensive dmen on the roster and expect to win.

ray c

Feb 9, 2010
we don't have one defensive dmen,they all play offence,and don't have a clue how to defend.

ChicagoHockeyFan

Mar 3, 2019
we don't have one defensive dmen,they all play offence,and don't have a clue how to defend.
Most you D don’t really focus on playing D, they develop it more as they get older. That’s a big reason why there’s so much scoring in junior leagues

ray c

Feb 9, 2010
and a big reason why the hawks give up too many goals.We can't afford to let them learn to play defence in the nhl

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Ian Mitchell doesn’t know how to defend?

I think you’re stuck in an old mindset where defensive D-men have to be big burly guys. Or you haven’t seen most of these guys play hockey.

Reactions: BK and Kevin Musto

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
ian mitchell is in college...not the nhl
Great observation.

He's been a great two-way guy in college. He's a prospect, he likely won't come in immediately and play a shutdown role, but that doesn't mean he projects to simply being an offensive defensemen.

Reactions: Idionym

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
ian mitchell is in college...not the nhl
I think being talking about proepscts in the prospect thread it was assumed you were talking about not having defensive defenseman prospects. But a lot of prospects that became NHL great defenders weren't at 20 or so like Mitchell. Even the recent Hawks great defenders Keith and Hjalmarrson weren't talked about for their defensive game as prospects

Connor Murphy is entirely a defensive defenseman. He's still not a great shutdown guy but he does handle his own in that role.

Reactions: pvr

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
The Red Deer boys had fun tonight.

Hagel with 1G, 3A
Johnson with 2G, 1A

Hagel assisted both Johnson goals and Johnson assisted Hagel's goal. Hawks must like their chemistry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad