Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose "Days of Our Meruelo" Talk

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Here's the complicating factor in SLC, though. A few years ago, the Mormon Church basically bought most of downtown and rebuilt it into a combination LDS vistors' center and commercial mall space. They used tithing money to do it all. For those uninitiated in how the LDS church makes its money from its members (outside of the various billion-dollar real estate, farming, and multimedia empires it runs), there are two basic sources - tithing, which is a mandatory 10% pre-tax donation from every single dollar a Mormon makes in any capacity, and "fast offerings," which is money members voluntarily set aside when they perform a fast (the idea being that you donate the money you would have spent on your food to the church to help the poor). In theory, neither tithing nor fast offering money should have been used for the church's commercial interests - the members are told and it is understood by them that these donations are meant to help the poor and the needy and to support church membership and meetinghouse upkeep, etc. (although now the church doesn't even pay for janitorial service for local meetinghouses and requires the members to do it for free as "celestial service").

So when the church announced this massive commercial purchase and the plans for creating a closed walking-traffic high-end shopping and commercial district in a section of downtown that used to be open to car traffic using member-donated money, it really rankled the population in general (and the membership in particular - I recall a whole lot of damage control and spin doctoring from the pulpit about how this commercial district would bring more souls to God and bullshit of that nature). It generated a lot of bad blood in the city toward entities like the Mormons exploiting their tax-exempt status, their membership-donated millions, and their absolute failure to put their plans to any sort of vote or even a survey.

Now here comes Ryan Smith promising a similar "transformative" commercial project, only now instead of just fleecing the poor Mormon folks, he's trying to get everyone's tax money to build his revenue generator. I guarandamntee you that he's leveraging every LDS resource he can in his pursuit of this project - I have no way of knowing for sure, but my thinking is that he might even use his connections to work with the same lobbyists that got the LDS downtown project greenlit. So he has a big advantage over a guy like Alex Meruelo because of the incestuous nature of government and religion in Utah. But, all that said, the general consensus among the populace is mostly, "Not again..." And complicating things further is that nearly $2 billion of public tax money sitting around waiting to be spent on sports facilities that nobody bothered to get permission from taxpayers to collect.

The honeymoon period helped wallpaper over these issues, but Smith and SEG need to work their asses off to get ahead of this pronto now that the wallpaper is starting to peel off.
Hence, it's no wonder his lips are so chapped..... me thinks he's gonna need a skin graft when it's all said and done.

Edit: Excellent post, by the way. From my knowledge of LDS you are spot on, allowing me to believe the knowledge you've provided that exceeds mine.

Yes, there have been multiple examples of that in the past. I'm not as current on their finances as I used to be, but I do know they got nailed by the FTC for some extremely shady reporting and financial practices, to the tune of several million dollars in fines. Something about shell companies and other money-disguising hijinks.
Biggest problem with religion (no matter your belief, or home team), it's run by imperfect humans.

Reactions: Kaizen

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
My biggest problem with religion is having to sift through this thread to find any relevant info on a Phoenix land auction.
The context is definitely tangential but there is a common thread between the SEG ask in SLC and what Meruelo is planning if he wins the land auction... as well as the prevailing general consensus against publicly funded developments involving sports teams in both locations.

Last edited:

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Yes, there have been multiple examples of that in the past. I'm not as current on their finances as I used to be, but I do know they got nailed by the FTC for some extremely shady reporting and financial practices, to the tune of several million dollars in fines. Something about shell companies and other money-disguising hijinks.
From what I know, atleast here in Germany, the wealth depends on the diocese that the local church belongs to. But that would go way to deep to explain the history of the church in germany from the middle-ages to modern days, the change of properties, laws that repay lost church properties, the evangelic church, chruch tax, payments by the states, etc.

But fair to say that Paderborn is the ritchest church/diocese in germany right now with an assumed total capital of 7.15 Billion Euros. And that is one diocese. There are 27 of those and thats only the catholic church.
So they have a lot of money. I would have to look into the detail of their annual revenue reports how its actually split. But they don't build stuff like downtown development. Most is used in the services the provide, like hospitals and other stuff. If a diocese planned something like the LDS in SLC, the shitstorm would be enough to push the whole german catholic church over the brink (people are leaving the church in droves over the last couple years). The whole bling-bishop thing was bad enough for them and i think they learned from it in that regard.

So if I would compare the LDS with the catholic church in germany, only based on the financial misdeeds, the LDS sounds like the worse option to the catholic church in germany.
But then again i don't know that much about the LDS.

Funny enough, every year on the 6th of january kids come to the houses dressed as the three wise men to both collect for charity and to sanctify the houses. That is organized by the local churces. One year I opened the door and they asked me for a contribution. I told those kids (12-14) that I would rather give them the money "but its for hungry kids in the world", "maybe, but my 10€ are nothing compared to the 7.15 Billion that the diocese in Paderborn has, if they would just pay a fraction of that every year they could do much more good than me". The look on the faces of those kids were amazing. My mom even asked me what I told them, I just said "The truth". ^^

FYI the kids don't get paid for this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sinurgy

TheLegend

"Just say it 3 times..."
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The context is definitely tangential but there is a common thread between the SEG ask in SLC and what Meruelo is planning if he wins the land auction... as well as the prevailing general consensus against publicly funded developments involving sports teams in both locations.

As I put it to a friend on Twitter….

“Tax increase….. or tax abatement…. which would you prefer??”

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
This article is from last month but it poses an interesting view of how TED went down and how the latest city election ended up in favor of more business growth.

Tempe1st thought it had gained a lot of political clout after getting the TED proposal voted down.

So this past election they targeted two sitting council members and attempted to replace them with their own anti-business growth candidates. Along with defeating a new proposal called "Tempe 2050" which outlined future growth for Tempe which included lots of business growth.

They tried the same aggressive tactics they used against TED...... and got their asses handed to them this time. The biggest difference?? According to them "we got outspent"....(ie: they didn't have all the big funding from the outside interests.).
Doubly frustrating then that all it would have taken was a serious backing of the campaign and this whole mess would have been avoided.

I kind of wonder if he overplayed his hand and knew the Phoenix option was coming up so he didn't "try" to win with Tempe. Then we all know the rest of the story.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Tin foil hat time... they're coming back to AZ in 5 years. Canuckland melts down and HF implodes and Gary Bettman Arena is going to rock and we can ride rollercoasters after the game.
I'd thought about this scenario too. If it all implodes almost immediately with this lack of taxpayer funding in Utah, I think the wheels here have already been set in motion to make it not feasible to move back into Mullett with the basketball moving in. Can you imagine the outrage by the players and staff of selling homes in Phoenix and buying in Utah only to be flipped back? The NHL would be compensating them so heavily. I imagine some have kept their homes, and some may not have immediately sold, but still.

If it all is set up in Phoenix in a few years and Utah ends up with just a renovated Jazz arena and nothing more, did the NHL really just move the team entirely to avoid a potential few playoff games of revenue in Mullett? Sounds like it'd be a wash at best and you've likely burned Utah's future chances by being impatient. For Utah's sake, they'd've been better off taking a few years to get set up and getting an expansion team, but too late for that.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm listening to the PHNX podcast (already posted in the Roadrunner thread.)

I didn't realize that there's a chance that Meruelo wins the auction but doesn't get approval to build an arena on the land. I'd read that the zoning status of the property is gray, but I figured it would be worked out before the auction.

According to Morgan, per Phoenix, AM has to submit a "zoning interpretation request" AFTER he buys the land because the zoning status is "up for interpretation." Phoenix has also informed AM up front that "there is no guarantee" of zoning approval and that he's not even allowed to get clarification with the zoning until he buys the land first.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
According to Morgan, per Phoenix, AM has to submit a "zoning interpretation request" AFTER he buys the land because the zoning status is "up for interpretation." Phoenix has also informed AM up front that "there is no guarantee" of zoning approval and that he's not even allowed to get clarification with the zoning until he buys the land first.

I'm sure he'll get right on that... :sarcasm:

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
12ft Ladder works….

I would resort to that if necessary, but my actions per minute clearly sufficed.
If it doesn't work for some sites or articles, you can always use https://archive.ph/.
Its a webpage capture. You put the url in of the article and you get a screencapture.
Works like a charm.
Good to know. Might get geoblocked though since that's a Philippines domain. I can't watch TSN videos without using a VPN. I got rid of mine since I can get NHL.tv and watch every single game from home/away and sometimes French.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm listening to the PHNX podcast (already posted in the Roadrunner thread.)

I didn't realize that there's a chance that Meruelo wins the auction but doesn't get approval to build an arena on the land. I'd read that the zoning status of the property is gray, but I figured it would be worked out before the auction.

Morgan knows no more than you and I.

• Haha
Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Morgan knows no more than you and I.

Like I said Jakey... "According to Morgan, per Phoenix."

That means he spoke to the City of Phoenix and this is what they told him they have informed AM. So, unless you've also spoken to representatives for the City of Phoenix on the subject and asked questions, Morgan absolutely knows more than you and I.

Last edited:

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Starting to wonder if AM has early onset dementia, or Alzheimer's. Read an article yesterday implying that Jr. has been handling the Roadrunner situation (feeling kind thus far today so, situation over fiasco), combine that with his lack of public appearances, his inability to communicate when forced to appear and not demoting Jr to much a lessor role, yeah, I wonder.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Read an article yesterday implying that Jr. has been handling the Roadrunner situation

President & CEO of the AHL, Scott Howson, has said that Meruelo Jr. is the point person on the Roadrunners plans. Don't know if that means he's handling the Roadrunners or if he's taken an XG type of role though. Either way, he's heavily involved.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad