Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: [Update] Land Auction Cancelled, Meruelo waiving ownership rights.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
The other thing. Glendale's gambit worked. I believe they hoped to kill the team and force a relocation by kicking them out before there were any viable options. If another arena had been built they would have been in big big trouble with a very massive liability that got little use. Westgate may have been damaged significantly too.
It was clearly in both Glendale and Phoenix interests to prevent a 3rd 20,000 seat arena from being built. I don’t think that the goal was to kill the Coyotes. That was just a consequence, pleasant as it might have been, to preventing a 3rd arena.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Gary made it clear about Glendale not being an option years ago. Recently he said that a new arena in the central valley is required before the NHL looks at this market again.
Gary was shortsighted on this one. They never should've put in Glendale back in the early aughts but it was dumb to pull out literally right as the area has seemed to hit that exponential curve. The growth has exploded the past 5 years and with a noticeable increase in high income earners. It's so frustrating, it's like watching someone who didn't want to run a marathon but signed up anyway, then proceeded to drop out of the race at about mile 25 mark. So f***ing stupid.

Same old same old. Nothing new here. Also Instagram's video player freaking sucks.
Instagram sucks period.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
New ownership groups might be more legitimate the more I think about it. Purchasing the Coyotes previous meant buying an asset worth whatever it would be, $300M, $400M as it's still an NHL franchise and the league is going to insist on keeping values up. Then there is likely the assumed debt which say was $200M. Both operating costs and paying down the debt had Meruelo losing something akin to $50M a year. Finally, there's the necessity to also fund a new arena while maintaining all those costs before you can turn the team around.

It's just a massive amount needed upfront and you have to stem losses for a period. Immediately the pool of prospective owners goes down to just those willing to hold the bag until the NHL bails them out with a new owner to do the same or finally have a solution.

Now that equation is out and so the potential pool broadens significantly. Hopefully this becomes evident sooner than later.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
“I have said it a million times and I will keep saying it,” Durzi said. “The excitement from the fans in the state of Utah is off the charts. You can just tell that this is a place that wants to have a team, love a team, and want the best for a team. That is all you can ask for as a player.

“Having passionate fans who are with you in the hard times and will then enjoy the sweet times so much more. I know the feeling is mutual throughout the team. We want to win for these fans because they are so excited.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
“I have said it a million times and I will keep saying it,” Durzi said. “The excitement from the fans in the state of Utah is off the charts. You can just tell that this is a place that wants to have a team, love a team, and want the best for a team. That is all you can ask for as a player.

“Having passionate fans who are with you in the hard times and will then enjoy the sweet times so much more. I know the feeling is mutual throughout the team. We want to win for these fans because they are so excited.

Like the guy is going to say…. “Utah sucks”? :laugh:

This is Llama-esque stuff.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Like the guy is going to say…. “Utah sucks”? :laugh:

This is Llama-esque stuff.
First of all, Utah’s fan enthusiasm is palpable, secondly his response could have been measured and thus less enthusiastic.

The ship sunk TL, the team is gone, being anti Llama is just a bad look and only serves as yet another distraction from the reality of the situation.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
First of all, Utah’s fan enthusiasm is palpable, secondly his response could have been measured and thus less enthusiastic.

The ship sunk TL, the team is gone, being anti Llama is just a bad look and only serves as yet another distraction from the reality of the situation.

It’s not anti-Llama….. it’s pointing out you gaslighting the fan issue again.

Name a player who came to Arizona and talked about the “shitty” fans like you constantly do?

We’ll wait…..

Crap…. Some of them got traded out and then wanted to come back.

You can’t fault any player for being enthusiastic about going to Utah. They say it because they’re out there selling the product. Even though some of them did not want to uproot themselves (and their families) and move them several hundred miles.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
It’s not anti-Llama….. it’s pointing out you gaslighting the fan issue again.

Name a player who came to Arizona and talked about the “shitty” fans like you constantly do?

We’ll wait…..

Crap…. Some of them got traded out and then wanted to come back.

You can’t fault any player for being enthusiastic about going to Utah. They say it because they’re out there selling the product. Even though some of them did not want to uproot themselves (and their families) and move them several hundred miles.
I'm not laying any fault on any of the players whatsoever and I'll be damned if I can fathom a reason you came to that conclusion.

All I can say about the rest of your nonsensical retort is that, it's a two way street, although an extremely quick recollection finds Mike Smith and Brandon Perlini coming to mind as sharing negativity toward our market, I'm certain there were others.

Finally, the absurdity of your gaslighting comment is as palpable as the lack of fan support in the valley, I'm not rewriting history here, by pointing out the facts.

Utah is Glendale 2003, dude. Once the shine is off the paint, it won't be any more special than Phoenix was.
That's entirely possible "dude", only time will tell.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ

Are you comparing the excitement for Utah's inaugural season, a fresh start, to the ever deteriorating situation over the years in Arizona? Some of the points you use beating this dead horse are really desperate because that comparison is apples to coyotedroppings. :sarcasm:

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Are you comparing the excitement for Utah's inaugural season, a fresh start, to the ever deteriorating situation over the years in Arizona? Some of the points you use beating this dead horse are really desperate because that comparison is apples to coyotedroppings. :sarcasm:
No, I am not. What I did was copy and post a couple Sean Durzi quotes to this forum. I think you need help with not only your basic comprehension, but your ability to not rope yourself into round three.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Utah is Glendale 2003, dude. Once the shine is off the paint, it won't be any more special than Phoenix was.
It's amazing what a little effort to whip up excitement can do. Our band of grifters completely wrote off the fans, especially in Glendale. Remember the Welcome Back Whiteout? I still have the T-shirt they gave out. If they really wanted to get the fans engaged instead of driving us away to support their narrative, they would have at least tried something. The dwindling fans is exactly what they wanted though.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
No, I am not. What I did was copy and post a couple Sean Durzi quotes to this forum. I think you need help with not only your basic comprehension, but your ability to not rope yourself into round three.

:laugh: just more coyotedroppings (BS).

My basic comprehension skills are enough to know that you had intent when you posted those quotes and just what that intent was. You're not fooling anyone by using comprehension skills as a cover up.

:deadhorse

Last edited:

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
That's entirely possible "dude", only time will tell.
Except for the fact that they won't have decades of relocation drama, bankruptcy, the complete collapse of the economy and indifference from grifter owner after grifter owner. That and the fact that they will actually be marketing to their fans and the ton of young talent that was earned through our suffering should give them a hell of an advantage over us. Sean Durzi probably has no clue at all what we went through. All he saw was a college arena constantly less than full.

Reactions: Arizonatah Coyetis

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Except for the fact that they won't have decades of relocation drama, bankruptcy, the complete collapse of the economy and indifference from grifter owner after grifter owner. That and the fact that they will actually be marketing to their fans and the ton of young talent that was earned through our suffering should give them a hell of an advantage over us. Sean Durzi probably has no clue at all what we went through. All he saw was a college arena constantly less than full.

The NHL in Utah won't be competing locally with the NFL or MLB for a piece of the family budget towards entertainment either.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
It's amazing what a little effort to whip up excitement can do. Our band of grifters completely wrote off the fans, especially in Glendale. Remember the Welcome Back Whiteout? I still have the T-shirt they gave out. If they really wanted to get the fans engaged instead of driving us away to support their narrative, they would have at least tried something. The dwindling fans is exactly what they wanted though.
I mean the fans in Arizona were incredibly excited for the team to come over from Winnipeg. They were also at the arena in droves when the team was good, like the 2012 WCF team. There were plenty of white outs and fan support when the team was decent to good.

Utah will probably see something similar. I wouldn't talk much about fans sticking through the hard times to see them win when Utah hasn't even had a season yet and will probably be pretty good, especially considering the bloody Coyotes would have been damn good if you took our two losing streaks out of the picture (Team might move > Team is moving).

But clearly the players just stunk and Tourigny was talking BS when he said those two losing streaks came directly after the speculation and news on the team and the players hated being here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad