Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: [Update] Land Auction Cancelled, Meruelo waiving ownership rights.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ
Xavier Guttierez said live in April a few weeks ago that the team would not be moving until after the land auction at minimum. That they were dedicated to keeping the team in Arizona, that Meruelo was going to show up and win the auction and build an arena.
And the timeline and Meruelo's response back that up. Meruelo was clearly defiant when the NHL first contacted him March 16th. At that time he was not receptive to selling the team. It looks to me (and I'm speculating based on the info we have) that by April 4th, AM was still not interested in selling and may have been trying to force the issue by coming out so vocally in public.

I find it extremely difficult to believe that AM had decided by then to accept the NHL's offer and then send XG out in front of the media and public in such a bold way. XG seemed to be everywhere. It looks to me like he was trying to offer push back to the NHL. Eventually it became apparent that it would not be possible.
View attachment 855625

Also this. Now, let's check- do the Coyotes still have a team in the AHL before the land auction?
I explained the timeline above.
By this point we know the rough timeline of events - March 6th Gary says "hey Meruelo, time to sell" and Meruelo says no. At some point "several weeks later" Meruelo decides he's right and they start working on the deal to move the team to SLC by the end of the season.

Is that a lie? Well, you're free to not think so, and be happy with this response. I'm not.

RE: Tempe Vote

Craig Morgan and co. have said this multiple times, but the documents submitted to the state only talk about 1.1 million for the campaign. Is it possible that AM spent money that isn't on that form somehow? Well, sure it is. But if he somehow spent 6m more in funds and more than tripled the amount Tempe No spent and still lost, well, that speaks to some other things I have a problem with.

View attachment 855626
These are direct expenditures, you have to know there are many indirect costs as well as campaign limits on spending that can be made in other areas. Admittedly, I don't have the accounting savvy nor understanding of tax law, to back up my claim.
In regards to unpaid bills, I'm sure if you've been following the franchise long enough you've seen the multiple times Katie Strang has written about them. The City of Glendale very publicly said that the Coyotes owed money. Katie Strang went into the tax registry (or whatever it's called) and quoted specific numbers that were unpaid, which eventually went on a payment plan and were paid back.
Is this the same Katie Strang that along with other reporters helped destroy Trevor Baur's career with lies? I find this so despicable! This is how you ruin someone's life. The Athletic even had to correct her reporting (see the editor's note at the top) Strang has always had an agenda:

I believe it was Seravelli who said that AM didn't pay hotels around the league and that the hotels banded together and told him he had to prepay with a cheque or they wouldn't allow him use of the hotel.

If you don't want to believe the "click whore" reporters who well...were apparently right this entire time? Well, hey, fair enough.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, if you wanna believe Meruelo after everyone else but him and Gary Bettman have said some of these things are untrue, be my guest. It doesn't affect me at all that you do so.

But really? I should find a new team to follow?
Yes, you should if you don't want AM as the owner. He's all we got
I'm sorry, what team do we have in Arizona that's in the NHL right now? Did I miss something? Did Alex "Big Dick" Meruelo come swaggering out to the podium and announce that he's won the land auction, hired construction crews, and that an arena will be built in 3 years somewhere I'm not aware of?
We'll know the first part of that question on June 27th
Did Meruelo go back in time 3 weeks and decide not to sell the Coyotes and that the NHL could fight him in court about it? Did Ishbia's music suddenly start playing and Meruelo announce that he was partnering/selling/whatevering the team to him and that they would renovate Footprint or build another arena?

Or do you just think I should accept everything Meruelo has said as fact?
You shouldn't accept everything anyone says as fact, reporters included. Everyone has an agenda, I believe AM's agenda is to keep the Coyotes in AZ and own an NHL franchise.
Should I thank Meruelo Sr. and Jr. for handpicking Josh Doan, Logan Cooley, and Dylan Guenther along with GMBA at the draft? Because he claimed he and his son did that too.
Hey they were on the team. Obviously BA chose them whether AM Sr or Jr had any say, seems so irrelevant to me. When people reference this, it comes off as so petty. By the way, AM did hire BA.
Should I be *GRATEFUL* to Mr. Meruelo, that he sold our team, sold the last 10 years of my life, watching these players develop, draft, and play in the NHL, only to be ripped away at their ripest point before breaking out to go play for a state and team that has absolutely no connection to this one?
You're completely oversimplifying how the process evolved.
See, I really couldn't care less if Meruelo brings the team back in 5 years, 10 years, or whatever. It won't be the same team that left, will it? It won't have the history, it won't have the players, and it won't have the staff.
I'll miss those players as well, but given a choice of a team or no team, I pick having a team.
Some of you do and will care about that. Great! I hope that you enjoy the games, maybe AM really is a miracle worker and we'll win the cup immediately after we have our expansion draft. Shit, maybe the team will come back in 3 years too. Maybe, if and when Meruelo proves he can do more than just talk, I'll come back to the team too. I certainly won't be upset if the SLC team does well, or if the players I watched for years make something of themselves.

It's great that you can believe in Meruelo. It really is. I hope that he lives up to all of your expectations and I get to eat crow. I really do.
I think that would be the best outcome for both you and I.
But this forum, and this team, is as much mine as it is anyone else's, and I sure as shit won't be leaving here until they drag me away. I've been an Arizona Coyotes fan for the last 10+ years, and I won't be stopping any time soon. If AM wants to bring a team back here, great. He doesn't get my fandom just because he did that. And I'm not going to ignore all the things he's done in the meantime. Nor will Gary Bettman. You can say that I'm wrong, that I should give him the benefit of the doubt, that he's the last chance for hockey in the desert, all you want. That may even all be true! But what you don't get to say is what I spend my time doing and what my emotions and feelings are or should be. Period.
Agreed. We're coming at this from opposite sides of the spectrum but the passion in our arguments spawn from the same place, our love of the Coyotes.
Take care.

Quick side note. Does anyone here have issues with the curser sometimes operating on it's own?

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
You know, I know the owners of Castles and Coasters... If Meruelo wanted a discussion with them, I could facilitate it.

But considering his lack of outreach skills, I am not going to hold my breath.
I have not been there yet since moving here. Looking at it on Google Maps satellite view - they got mini golf there? I am absolutely in the mood for mini golf after this week.

Factotum

Apr 13, 2024
What would be the more Coyotes outcome:

AM skips the auction and skips town because that's what everyone is expecting?

Or

AM actually showing up and winning the auction because that's what no one is expecting?

Or, third option...

AM actually showing up and winning the auction, but then not being able to clear any of the other hurdles to get this built because that's simultaneously what no one and everyone is expecting?

Third option

I do foresee the theme park district meeting heavy opposition, and it’s an admitted important part of the overall development plan, per AM and XG both. Ultimately, I feel that is what will sink any arena construction

I do also foresee AM pivoting, with Phoenix’ grace, and developing some type of benign entertainment/retail/mixed-use type district typical of the area

Reactions: Summer Rose

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I have not been there yet since moving here. Looking at it on Google Maps satellite view - they got mini golf there? I am absolutely in the mood for mini golf after this week.
Yeah. It used to be a big gathering spot when I was in high school and Metrocenter was the social hub of the Valley. A second location at an entertainment district would be a huge get for Meruelo, a good revenue generator for C&C, and a nice family attraction for the area. And it might grease the wheels for the amusement park district thing Meruelo suddenly needs to make this all work.

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ
From an Ian Mendes article:

"Smith does not want his pursuit of an NHL team to come off as though he’s poaching the Coyotes from afar.

“People who know me know I’m pretty direct. If that were the intention, I would just come out and say that,” Smith says when asked if it appears he is targeting the Coyotes. “We’re not about trying to mess with anybody else’s world. I know what it’s like to be in a partnership like we are in the NBA. There is a way to go about it.”

Smith maintains an open line of dialogue with NHL officials, but he’s mindful not to step over any lines.

“I don’t want to get involved with how they deliver a team. We’re showing that we’re ready and that’s what we’re putting forward,” says Smith. “We talk to them frequently. They know our interest. They see what’s going on. They see the value, and they’re intrigued.”"
I think Smith has been at this for a while. Courting the NHL with every intention of extracting the Coyotes. He's the reason I have mixed feelings about the Utah team. I love the players and want them to succed, but I want Smith to fail miserably.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
What would be the more Coyotes outcome:

AM skips the auction and skips town because that's what everyone is expecting?

Or

AM actually showing up and winning the auction because that's what no one is expecting?

Or, third option...

AM actually showing up and winning the auction, but then not being able to clear any of the other hurdles to get this built because that's simultaneously what no one and everyone is expecting?
3rd option. Easy. But he also runs the roadrunners into the ground and we Ave to hear about how this market can’t even support AHL hockey.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Yeah. It used to be a big gathering spot when I was in high school and Metrocenter was the social hub of the Valley. A second location at an entertainment district would be a huge get for Meruelo, a good revenue generator for C&C, and a nice family attraction for the area. And it might grease the wheels for the amusement park district thing Meruelo suddenly needs to make this all work.
So what you're saying is, it actually makes way too much sense for Meruelo, so he won't even conceptualize it.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Third option

I do foresee the theme park district meeting heavy opposition, and it’s an admitted important part of the overall development plan, per AM and XG both. Ultimately, I feel that is what will sink any arena construction

I do also foresee AM pivoting, with Phoenix’ grace, and developing some type of benign entertainment/retail/mixed-use type district typical of the area
100%

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
So what you're saying is, it actually makes way too much sense for Meruelo, so he won't even conceptualize it.

I don't know, honestly. Maybe he HAS thought of it. But has he thought about talking to local vendors like C&C? Nobody knows. He and his business arm are as transparent as a tar pit.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Third option

Worker Power is already gearing up for it.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Meurelo is a chronically lying POS. I don't remember exactly but I recall when that part of the saga was going down that Glendale wanted 12 years. Which would have given him a nice long cushion to get his district built. Shortsighted move.

Would have also meant losing millions each year like he had been.

Glendale was not viable long term

REPEAT….

Glendale was not viable long term.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Anyone feel like countering this take? Because I think Laurie Roberts hit the nail square on the head.

It’s still just about taxes generated on the site itself, right? Then the “hold onto your wallets” it’s disingenuous sensationalism of the exact kind that has left Tempe residents with a massive dump to clean up. It’s fear mongering and it’s already harmed one community.

If you don’t want to pay sales taxes at coyotes games, don’t go to coyotes games. The rest is political bullshit.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Pittsburgh
You know, I know the owners of Castles and Coasters... If Meruelo wanted a discussion with them, I could facilitate it.

But considering his lack of outreach skills, I am not going to hold my breath.
Castles and Coasters sucks honestly. Terribly overpriced for what they offer. No park that size has any right charging $50 a ticket, especially with how bad their coasters are.

As a combination amusement park and hockey enthusiast, I've always thought it would be cool if California's Great America build a giga coaster that actually wrapped around Levi Stadium. Meurelo can actually deliver on that here and I'd be so effing hyped for it. Realistically it would be something smaller scale like a premier Rides launched coaster. But it would put a nice distinct flavor on the entertainment district.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Meurelo is a chronically lying POS. I don't remember exactly but I recall when that part of the saga was going down that Glendale wanted 12 years. Which would have given him a nice long cushion to get his district built. Shortsighted move.
No, they wanted twenty and would have accepted something to the tune of twelve. If by chance you don’t want to create animosity with SLC and this fanbase, you might think twice about flaming.

Reactions: Jakey53

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
NHL didn't want to be in Glendale. What did Meruelo know about metro Phoenix or hockey? Bettman likely sold them on not remaining in Glendale. The shortsighted move was the league and Uncle Gary calling way too early.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad