Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: [Update] Land Auction Cancelled, Meruelo waiving ownership rights.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
The NHL is at a bit of a crossroads at this time. The league looks at the topography and notes that its monopoly on the Canadian sports dollar is slowly eroding. In the US, the league has little traction outside of the big markets.

I would, in Bettman’s shoes, enter into a warm, close relationship with the NHLPA as close cooperation will be needed in the decade ahead. Sacrificing our market, a flashpoint for the NHLPA, was a necessary first step.

Second step would be getting all broadcasts on free TV and streaming. Sacrifice short time revenue for long time increases in popularity. Also would reward Canadians for their loyalty.

Third, develop a true grudge rivalry between LA and Boston or NY which captures the imagination of US fans, like BOS-NY in baseball or Dallas-WASH in football. This can be done w good scheduling.
Regarding the third point, count me with those that refuse to watch Boston v Yankees. I cannot stand getting that crammed down my throat. I don't care about either team. Redskins have not been relevant for decades but I understand the point.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
How many times does this have to be said.......

No amount of money was going to convince Glendale to agree to any lease less than 12 years. Meruelo offered a 3 year plus 2 year option to stay. Glendale said no.

Glendale was NOT a viable solution long term.

Full stop.

Do we have more detail other than "Glendale wanted a lease for 12 years minimum"? What would the cost be to terminate the lease early, etc. While I imagine Glendale would have made that number astronomical and unrealistic, but there are these options in leases(I would assume this is something that is normally built in for sports teams too?).

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Do we have more detail other than "Glendale wanted a lease for 12 years minimum"? What would the cost be to terminate the lease early, etc. While I imagine Glendale would have made that number astronomical and unrealistic, but there are these options in leases(I would assume this is something that is normally built in for sports teams too?).
Quotes from Glendale’s city manager good enough??

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Sad thing is, winning the auction is only a part if the equation. Still doesn't mean an arena actually gets built.
IMG_4383.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Arizonatah Coyetis

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Quotes from Glendale’s city manager good enough??

Sure, but I'm saying, most leases come with an option to terminate. If AM really wanted to, he could have signed a long term lease, and once he got his arena built, he could have terminated the lease. Additionally, there's no telling what the COG would have done had AM started building an arena, knowing there were 10 years left on their current lease. It was a bad option all around, if in fact the end goal was AM getting his own arena/district.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Sure, but I'm saying, most leases come with an option to terminate. If AM really wanted to, he could have signed a long term lease, and once he got his arena built, he could have terminated the lease. Additionally, there's no telling what the COG would have done had AM started building an arena, knowing there were 10 years left on their current lease. It was a bad option all around, if in fact the end goal was AM getting his own arena/district.
Glendale would have added a poison pill clause like what the Panthers had when they signed their last lease. Something in the neighborhood of $25 million IIRC.

Roadrunners have a $3 million out clause in theirs.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Glendale would have added a poison pill clause like what the Panthers had when they signed their last lease. Something in the neighborhood of $25 million IIRC.

Roadrunners have a $3 million out clause in theirs.

Looking back, maybe that could have been worthwhile. He spent $20M on the annex itself just to play at Mullet. If the out was only $25M, might have been worth it to tough it out in Glendale until there was a new arena/district. But, hindsight is 20/20, and it's possible that Glendale would have just went nuts with the termination fee.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Looking back, maybe that could have been worthwhile. He spent $20M on the annex itself just to play at Mullet. If the out was only $25M, might have been worth it to tough it out in Glendale until there was a new arena/district. But, hindsight is 20/20, and it's possible that Glendale would have just went nuts with the termination fee.
Think Bettman's bad taste for Glendale politics also played a role....he wanted nothing to do with Glendale after the Tindall/Frisoni fiasco.

Reactions: TheLegend

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Sure, but I'm saying, most leases come with an option to terminate.
For both sides.
Imagine this, Glendale does that and then AM buys land and starts with construction.
Glendale would immediatly cancel the lease and then you are in big doodoo.
In addition, your reputation is on the line, because you made a contract that you never wanted to honor to its full extent. This also could lead to litigation.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
For both sides.
Imagine this, Glendale does that and then AM buys land and starts with construction.
Glendale would immediatly cancel the lease and then you are in big doodoo.
In addition, your reputation is on the line, because you made a contract that you never wanted to honor to its full extent. This also could lead to litigation.

True, so in reality, the best option was not try anything with Glendale unless you could get a short term lease, knowing that you were leaving(and Glendale knowing as well). So can't really fault AM for not working with Glendale if they weren't willing to work with him.

Reactions: Edenjung

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
True, so in reality, the best option was not try anything with Glendale unless you could get a short term lease, knowing that you were leaving(and Glendale knowing as well). So can't really fault AM for not working with Glendale if they weren't willing to work with him.
Aren't the Coyotes ending a lease early right now after paying $20 plus million upfront?? That sure doesn't look like a better alternative than negotiating a City friendly deal with Glendale that didn't make them the laughing stock of the League?? And maybe spend some money on tge product while in an arena that has seats to sell might have been a better plan??

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
I liked hockey at the Mullett. I will always enjoy recalling attending games there. It was unique and entertaining.
I sure would have liked to seen parking lot expansion and an upper bowl added right on top. Could’ve been done, except that it wouldn't have serviced the greed.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Aren't the Coyotes ending a lease early right now after paying $20 plus million upfront?? That sure doesn't look like a better alternative than negotiating a City friendly deal with Glendale that didn't make them the laughing stock of the League?? And maybe spend some money on tge product while in an arena that has seats to sell might have been a better plan??

He still has a lease and it's paid up through this coming season. Just no NHL team to use it on.

One of the reasons why he wanted to bring the Roadrunners up to Tempe, but the lease specifies it has to be an NHL team.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
He still has a lease and it's paid up through this coming season. Just no NHL team to use it on.

One of the reasons why he wanted to bring the Roadrunners up to Tempe, but the lease specifies it has to be an NHL team.
Wonder why they had to pay upfront?? No need to answer as it was rhetorical

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad