Prospect Info: All-Purpose 2024 Draft Thread & Celebrini discussion (also the 14th pick and whatever else is draft related)

Who should the Sharks draft #1?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
Yea Sharks prospect pool is very forward heavy and unless a good Defenseman slides, we likely are picking up two more forwards in the first round this year.

You aren't shopping Eklund but if a similarly profiled defense becomes available you at least consider the swap.
Untouchable means you don't touch no matter what.
Eklund is untouchable right now. Maybe after 15-20 years with the Sharks, Eklund maybe consider as a trade price at that time. It is too soon to talk about trading 1 of our best prospects.

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
He’s not a prospect as much as one of the core to build around. That’s my take.
to me Eklund is the first piece to the puzzle like Marleau was before they went and got Joe Thornton. He is part of the core. If GM mike Grier happens to read these posts, Please Sir, Do Not Even consider trading Eklund until 2035. I hope Eklund has a long Sharks career like Marleau here with the Sharks. Thank you sir.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baysick

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
to me he is the first piece to the puzzle like Marleau was before they went and got Joe Thornton. He is part of the core. If GM mike Grier happens to read these posts, Please Sir, Do Not Even consider trading Eklund until 2035. I hope Eklund has a long Sharks career like Marleau here with the Sharks. Thank you sir.
The key difference is that Marleau was playing center when he was becoming a core piece of the team. Eklund right now is still a winger and the future doesn't look like he will switch to center like Hertl did. If a winger can be moved for a top defenseman, it's something to consider even if that winger is a core piece.

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
Comparing Marleau to Eklund is an insult to Marleau. They're both forwards, that's about where the similarities end.
Given your logic, any unproven players would be an insult to Marleau even if their names are Bedard or Celebrini. They have not have the time to prove how great they will be. Who knows if Eklund might even be equal or even be better Marleau given a chance. The point is we should keep Eklund until he proves he otherwise. Right now, we should not even consider trading our best NHL young CORE player and Eklund is our BEST NHL young player.

Patrick Marleau 1st full season season (97-87 season)in the NHL
GP 74Goals 13Assists 19TP: 32

Eklund 2023-24 Season 1st full season (2023-24 Season) in the NHL
GP 80Goals 16Assists 29. TP: 45

Last edited:

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Given your logic, any unproven players would be an insult to Marleau even if their names are Bedard or Celebrini. They have not have the time to prove how great they will be. Who knows if Eklund might even be equal or even be better Marleau given a chance. The point is we should keep Eklund until he proves he otherwise. Right now, we should not even consider trading our best NHL young CORE player and Eklund is our BEST NHL young player.

Patrick Marleau 1st full season season (97-87 season)in the NHL
GP 74Goals 13Assists 19TP: 32

Eklund 2023-24 Season 1st full season (2023-24 Season) in the NHL
GP 80Goals 16Assists 29. TP: 45
You're comparing a season by an 18 year old to a season by a 21 year old. NHL scoring was also 15% lower back then. It's also worth noting Marleau jumped straight from the WHL to the NHL while Eklund was already in his 5th season of pro hockey.

Comparing Celebrini to Marleau, or even suggesting he'll be better than Marleau, would be reasonable given what he's accomplished as a prospect. Eklund has never been in that category.

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
You're comparing a season by an 18 year old to a season by a 21 year old. NHL scoring was also 15% lower back then. It's also worth noting Marleau jumped straight from the WHL to the NHL while Eklund was already in his 5th season of pro hockey.

Comparing Celebrini to Marleau, or even suggesting he'll be better than Marleau, would be reasonable given what he's accomplished as a prospect. Eklund has never been in that category.
I count when they are in the NHL. Age is unimportant. If they are not ready, they should not be the NHL. Making excuses for a 12 years old that makes the NHL is irrelevant. 18 or 21 whatever, it should not matter.

It is still crazy to even suggest trading Eklund. Like having Smith or Celebrini for 1 year and and discussing to trade him. It's STUPID! I'm done talking about this subject. We are NOT trading Eklund EVER!

I need to have my mind back before I get too angry over these posters suggesting trading Eklund! I'll step out and take a breather!

Ignore Hodge button pushed!

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I count when they are in the NHL. Age is unimportant. If they are not ready, they should not be the NHL. Making excuses for a 12 years old that makes the NHL is irrelevant. 18 or 21 whatever, it should not matter.

It is still crazy to even suggest trading Eklund. Like having Smith or Celebrini for 1 year and and discussing to trade him. It's STUPID! I'm done talking about this subject. We are NOT trading Eklund EVER!
How old they are when they're in the NHL matters no matter how much of a tantrum you decide to pull.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

21 year old seasons.

52 points (4th NHL season) vs 45 points (1st NHL seasons).

Still not much of a difference.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
21 year old seasons.

No but the gap widens when you go a little deeper into the analysis. Usage and era differs quite a bit with this comparison. Eklund could still be on par with Marleau when it's all said and done but Eklund has started his NHL career with better offensive opportunities than Marleau did at that time.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
21 year old seasons.

Did you even read the rest of his comment?

When you make points like this, you're either dim or being a bad-faith rabble-rouser (like everyone accuses @Hodge of being).

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Some of these takes are riduclous. Eklund is absolutely tradeable. He has the lowest potential of our key drafted guys so far in Celebrini and Smith. Plays the least valuable position, and has shown enough promise we can use him to bring in a dman that we desperately need. When you keep drafting forwards every year....they eventually become expendable. Look at the Ducks with Zegras.

How the hell can anyone compare Eklund to Patrick Marleau? I love Eklund too and do want him around, but let's hold our horses here.

At the end of the day, a top pair defenseman is miles more valuable than a top line winger. If we can trade Eklund for a guy like Dobson (for example) we do that every day.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
I doubt Eklund actually gets us a #1D, which we should absolutely move him for. So I'm happy keeping him. But if that deal came up it would be so easy to move him.

It's really hard to find a #1 Dman.
It's not that hard to find a top 6 winger - hopefully Eklund because I legit first liner but even that is attainable

Le Grand Quebecois

Jun 6, 2015
Oakland, CA
Moving Eklund seems a bit premature but I don't see why they wouldn't consider it in a few years when the team has finally acquired the rest of it's core players. It feels a little bit like Colorado trading Matt Duchene. I know there were way different reasons, but at one time he was thought to be a corner stone of their rebuild.

Reactions: coooldude

Skeksis25

Feb 17, 2023
North Brunswick, NJ
Eklund should definitely not be untouchable, but also I agree that its probably too early to talk about getting rid of him. I don't know if he has the value around the league to actually get us a quality top 4 young D-man. Unless we are getting something like that, I would rather not get rid of him just for the sake of it.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Moving Eklund seems a bit premature but I don't see why they wouldn't consider it in a few years when the team has finally acquired the rest of it's core players. It feels a little bit like Colorado trading Matt Duchene. I know there were way different reasons, but at one time he was thought to be a corner stone of their rebuild.
I was coming to say that. He is our Matt Duschene before we got our Mackinnon/Gabe.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
Eklund should definitely not be untouchable, but also I agree that its probably too early to talk about getting rid of him. I don't know if he has the value around the league to actually get us a quality top 4 young D-man. Unless we are getting something like that, I would rather not get rid of him just for the sake of it.

I don't think anyone is advocated rushing to dump him

Just that he isn't untouchable in a trade for the right dman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad