Prospect Info: All-Purpose 2024 Draft Thread & Celebrini discussion (also the 14th pick and whatever else is draft related)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who should the Sharks draft #1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Chicago is a move back candidate. I was interested in 14 for 20 and 34.

Now it is even better to trade 14 for 18 and 34. Sharks could throw in 4th.

If the top D are gone I don’t think there will be much difference between 14 and 18. My favorite target after the D is MBN who could still be available at 18.

I feel like there’s something going on that hasn’t been revealed with that trade. Maybe the Isles needed another 2nd for trade purposes, if I had to guess.
It could also be like when the Sharks traded up to draft Couture (trading up twice). It is easier to trade up from 18 than 20.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
If the top D are gone I don’t think there will be much difference between 14 and 18. My favorite target after the D is MBN who could still be available at 18.
Solberg has shot up the rankings and some buzz about him now making it a "big 7" D men, even some buzz he should go before Yak. Emery is also shooting up in mocks and may go just behind Solberg. Lots of choice at 14, less so at 18. But you're right, someone exciting will fall to 18, could be MBN, could be Eiserman, could be Sennecke, could be someone else.

Chernyshov still lurking and someone is going to get him for a song in the 20s range, possibly.

• Love
Reactions: NiWa

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Solberg has shot up the rankings and some buzz about him now making it a "big 7" D men, even some buzz he should go before Yak. Emery is also shooting up in mocks and may go just behind Solberg. Lots of choice at 14, less so at 18. But you're right, someone exciting will fall to 18, could be MBN, could be Eiserman, could be Sennecke, could be someone else.

Chernyshov still lurking and someone is going to get him for a song in the 20s range, possibly.
Totally agree with Chernyshov as a sleeper in the late teens/early 20’s. I think trading down to 18 for 34 has some appeal. Solberg or Jiricek could be there, Eiserman is more palatable at 18 than 14 if he really falls, and I do like Chernyshov/Emery as “worst case” in that slot.

Reactions: Sandisfan and NiWa

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Totally agree with Chernyshov as a sleeper in the late teens/early 20’s. I think trading down to 18 for 34 has some appeal. Solberg or Jiricek could be there, Eiserman is more palatable at 18 than 14 if he really falls, and I do like Chernyshov/Emery as “worst case” in that slot.
You could also then go really crazy and package 33 and 34 for something higher that might allow you to get two of those guys. Pretty decent haul, though I guess it would depend on if Grier and his staff love someone that they'd be afraid of losing if they move out of 14.

Reactions: coooldude

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
You could also then go really crazy and package 33 and 34 for something higher that might allow you to get two of those guys. Pretty decent haul, though I guess it would depend on if Grier and his staff love someone that they'd be afraid of losing if they move out of 14.
I'm good with trusting the staff. If, in a year, it starts to look like maybe they made a bunch of mistakes in this draft, giving them a 50% rate of good-looking drafts, I'll start to worry a bit. But given a good track record so far, hopefully they either like someone and stick at 14 or they figure out how to trade back a bit for more darts and still get a player they really like.

I am getting more and more excited at the prospect of Solberg, Emery, Jiricek, or the upside of MBN or Yak falling (which I think are less and less likely). But who the hell knows! This is one of the reasons I'm so stoked to go to the draft live. It'll be super entertaining to see the first round unfold.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Yeah, I don’t hate that either if the first 13 picks go as poorly as possible:

Celebrini, Demidov, Buium, Levshunov, Lindstrom, Dickinson, Catton, Iginla, Parekh, Yakemchuk, Silayev, Sennecke, Brandsegg-Nygard

You’d be guaranteed at least two of Eiserman, Helenius, Jiricek, Solberg, Chernyshov, and Greentree being available at 18. Then use 33 and 34 to jump to ~21 and snag Emery. I wouldn’t hate it if it played out that way.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024

Which rankings have him going before Yakemchuk?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Probably isn’t the place to put it but dang, the anthem singer at the Mem Cup opening ceremony was really good. I was worried as he approached the high notes, but holy crap the vibrato came out and it was impressive as hell.

Hopefully Parekh is fully healthy, I’m really interested in how he fairs against Moose Jaw, who are an absolute wagon with Mateychuk, Savoie, Firkus, and Yager.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass

Celebrini, Demidov, Buium, Levshunov, Lindstrom, Dickinson, Catton, Iginla, Parekh, Yakemchuk, Silayev, Sennecke, Brandsegg-Nygard

You’d be guaranteed at least two of Eiserman, Helenius, Jiricek, Solberg, Chernyshov, and Greentree being available at 18. Then use 33 and 34 to jump to ~21 and snag Emery. I wouldn’t hate it if it played out that way.
I'd prefer Grier be proactive instead of reactive and get the guy he wants by moving up. He has the ammo and stocking up on 2nd rounders is a meh sort of template in my mind.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'd prefer Grier be proactive instead of reactive and get the guy he wants by moving up. He has the ammo and stocking up on 2nd rounders is a meh sort of template in my mind.
It takes two to tango. Moving up requires someone being willing to move down. Obviously I’d prefer to move up, but maybe no one is interested.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
Eklund is the Seto of the rebuild

an extension not a trade is what's on GMMG's mind, but if someone makes an offer he can't refuse...

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010

Yeah, I would totally be down for that. Solberg is the big question for me. Like, I just don't know what to make of him--I have the angel on one shoulder telling me he's the true sleeper of this draft who's going to end up being a steal, and then the devil telling me it's ridiculous to give so much weight to a guy who played this year in such a poor league even if he put in an accomplished effort in the World Championships.

Basically, if it weren't for him, I'd have no qualms about making these moves down in this scenario. But he's the one who's really the wild card to me and I'd sort of be tempted to say YES to with the #14 pick as a serious upside pick (the Worlds give me a sense that his floor might actually be surprisingly high) who could easily end up one of the top 2-3 d-men picked this year, despite there being so many ahead of him up to now.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
If you were Grier, would you trade the 1st for CHI's 2nd, 18th, and 50th? I would not as the draft doesn't seem as deep for giving up the 1st.

We know CHI was tanking hard for Celebrini, but just like EK was our kryptonite for Bedard, Bedard was their kryptonite for getting Celebrini.

I wonder what CHI is planning make a draft day trade this early (or maybe NYI.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
If you were Grier, would you trade the 1st for CHI's 2nd, 18th, and 50th? I would not as the draft doesn't seem as deep for giving up the 1st.

We know CHI was tanking hard for Celebrini, but just like EK was our kryptonite for Bedard, Bedard was their kryptonite for getting Celebrini.

The only way I trade #1 to Chicago is for bedard

Grinner

May 31, 2022

Unless Celebrini flat out refuses to sign with San Jose, then there's no reason under the sun where Grier should trade down from 1.

Chicago could be going a few ways with this trade.
They could be hoping for either a F or D to drop into their laps at 18, where it was much less likely in their eyes by staying at 20.
They could be looking to trade further up in the draft.
Or they could be looking to trade for an established player, where they 20th pick wasn't enticing enough as the main piece going back.
If nothing else, it should liven up several boards around here

Reactions: themelkman

Patty Ice

Mighty Luca
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
If you were Grier, would you trade the 1st for CHI's 2nd, 18th, and 50th?

1716619749634.png

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

No absolutely not. Celebrini is way above the field and there’s a pretty steep drop off in that like 14-16 range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad