Prospect Info: All Prospect Talk Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kentti

Oct 5, 2012
Another disappointing game for Teuvo Teräväinen as TT's team Jokerit lost 1-3 today against JYP. No points.

Leehh

Oct 8, 2011
Austria
Another disappointing game for Teuvo Teräväinen as TT's team Jokerit lost 1-3 today against JYP. No points.

I watched the game. The way their coach makes them play is just plain Pejorative Slured to be honest.

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
From everything I saw from pre-season, training camp and post season... here's what I think:

Pirri may be injured, but I didn't see too much. Still, he looked injured when he played and he did look average so there's that. Maybe he deserves a call-up if there's an injury. He doesn't seem to have much else to prove in the AHL...

Morin looked good IMO. He doesn't fit as well as Smith or Hayes at this point, but he certainly deserves to be in the lineup over Nordstrom. If not for this 'finding chemistry for Kruger on the PK' business, I think he'd have a good shot at making our team.

Hayes < Smith at this point. I don't understand why we don't send down Nordstrom and Hayes to refine their game and keep Smith up over Bollig as the 12th man. Honestly, Bollig doesn't provide much and Smith will at least work his ass off to keep himself on this team. Plus he just has more tools.

Clendening, IMO, had an awesome camp + pre-season. He obviously needs to work on his defensive game... but he's not far off from NHL level. His offensive awareness makes him such an amazing tool to have on our team and I think he might replace Leddy in a few years. The only thing that's hindering him is that our system demands more than 'okay' defense... i.e. Leddy on the third pairing. I truly believe Clandening takes Leddy's spot when his contract expires. His talent far surpasses Leddy's, IMHO.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Pirri and Morin discuss their disappointment over getting sent back to the AHL.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bla...45/morin-pirri-working-through-disappointment

After reading the quotes from the article, it's not hard to reason that Pirri is very disappointed, and already his mind is wandering to playing for another team rather than the Hawks. With Handzus and Kruger taking center spots, not hard to see why he's so disappointed.

Morin likely feels that he'll be up sooner or later this year, with the wing spots easier to shuffle.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
So far Teuvo Teräväinen has played 8 games, 1 G + 1 A = 2 P.

Meanwhile the guy that was picked right behind him in the 2012 draft scored 4 goals in one game the other night and is leading the NHL in goals scored.

It seems like Jokerit is not a very good team, at least in terms of offense, and of course TT is not helping that situation - but I wonder if this will end up being a help or hindrance to TT's development?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Meanwhile the guy that was picked right behind him in the 2012 draft scored 4 goals in one game the other night and is leading the NHL in goals scored.

It seems like Jokerit is not a very good team, at least in terms of offense, and of course TT is not helping that situation - but I wonder if this will end up being a help or hindrance to TT's development?
Hertl was drafted before TT, not after.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I wonder how possible it would be for him to just bail on the team in the middle of the year? I think that's what Filip Forsberg did last year to join Nashville.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Hertl was drafted before TT, not after.

oops - I stand corrected.

Watched some of the Sharks/Canucks game tonight and Hertl is a pretty nice player. Good size/speed/skill and he plays physical too. I wouldn't be surprised that when the season is winding down, Hertl will be in he Calder conversation.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
So far Teuvo Teräväinen has played 8 games, 1 G + 1 A = 2 P.

can you (or any of our other finnish friends) clarify the situation with jokerit. i'll preface this by saying all i see of the team is the clips posted here or looking at the stats posted on elite prospects...so i'm not coming from a point of impressive (or any) knowledge - but just to refer to the post i made in the Teuvo thread on the prospects board...

...from what i understand, his line mates are Janne Lahti and Steve Moses. Unlike Teuvo, they have played for the team since the beginning of the year (i.e. they weren't off at a training camp on another continent).

(from elite prospects) - Lahti's put up 2 pts in 12 games and Moses has put up 3 pts in 12 games. I don't know how to figure out what of those points were put up while Teuvo was playing with them, but it seems their stats are horrible too.

also, from the SM-Liigaa scoring list i could generate, only 2 of Jokerit's players appeared in the top 75 scorers in the league and their top scorer was a d-man (whose ppg was something like 8 pts in 12 games).

i would have loved to see teuvo light it up on his return to finland but it seems that his team is in a bad place when it comes to scoring. knowing little (ha ha..'nothing'?) about the ins and outs of jokerit, what's the issue with the team - are the players unskilled, is the coaching bad, are the players good but the goalie is bad, etc?

Maybe all the talk by management, and coaches got to his head a little bit. Hope he turns it around soon.

From how he presented in training camp, he certainly didn't come off as an arrogant kid. It also seems like his team is slightly allergic to scoring...so while I was anticipating high level offensive production immediately from him, it seems like his team has offensive problems...

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
can you (or any of our other finnish friends) clarify the situation with jokerit. i'll preface this by saying all i see of the team is the clips posted here or looking at the stats posted on elite prospects...so i'm not coming from a point of impressive (or any) knowledge - but just to refer to the post i made in the Teuvo thread on the prospects board...

...from what i understand, his line mates are Janne Lahti and Steve Moses. Unlike Teuvo, they have played for the team since the beginning of the year (i.e. they weren't off at a training camp on another continent).

(from elite prospects) - Lahti's put up 2 pts in 12 games and Moses has put up 3 pts in 12 games. I don't know how to figure out what of those points were put up while Teuvo was playing with them, but it seems their stats are horrible too.

also, from the SM-Liigaa scoring list i could generate, only 2 of Jokerit's players appeared in the top 75 scorers in the league and their top scorer was a d-man (whose ppg was something like 8 pts in 12 games).

i would have loved to see teuvo light it up on his return to finland but it seems that his team is in a bad place when it comes to scoring. knowing little (ha ha..'nothing'?) about the ins and outs of jokerit, what's the issue with the team - are the players unskilled, is the coaching bad, are the players good but the goalie is bad, etc?

From how he presented in training camp, he certainly didn't come off as an arrogant kid. It also seems like his team is slightly allergic to scoring...so while I was anticipating high level offensive production immediately from him, it seems like his team has offensive problems...

Jokerit have fundamental issues in their system and also the roster is lacking skill, especially that number one skill center(to take the pressure off Teuvo). They know how to defend and have good defensemen but going forward nothing is working like last season or as it should be by modern hockey standards. Dmen can't open to a center in the middle cause they're all near the boards or nowhere to be found. Most attacks end up consisting of dump ins except they're executed badly as well. There's also an air of uncertainty among many players about where they are going to play next season. TT confirmed that the younger players especially are unsure of their future. On Finnish radio yesterday, one ex-player said that this uncertainty is beginning to show more and more.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Jokerit have fundamental issues in their system and also the roster is lacking skill, especially that number one skill center(to take the pressure off Teuvo). They know how to defend and have good defensemen but going forward nothing is working like last season or as it should be by modern hockey standards. Dmen can't open to a center in the middle cause they're all near the boards or nowhere to be found. Most attacks end up consisting of dump ins except they're executed badly as well. There's also an air of uncertainty among many players about where they are going to play next season. TT confirmed that the younger players especially are unsure of their future. On Finnish radio yesterday, one ex-player said that this uncertainty is beginning to show more and more.

That sounds like a troubling situation. I think most Hawk fans look at TT playing for Jokerit as a transition period before he plays for the Hawks, but it must suck for Jokerit fans to have the team playing this poorly after how well they played last season. I know they lost Ilari Filppula, but did they lose other good players from last season?

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Hey Hawks nation, NYR fan checking in here. I was watching the ND-Western Michigan game tonight, and just wanted to say I was really impressed by your 2012 6th Round pick, Vince Hinostroza. A little undersized for sure, but he looked dangerous every single time he touched the puck. Fast and slippery, with a hard wrister. Ended the game 1-1-2 on the stat line, while being the best offensive player on the ice, IMO. He looks like he's going to need 3 or 4 years in college to fully bulk up (ND site lists him at 175lbs.... no way) and learn defensive responsibility, but man he's fun to watch.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Hey Hawks nation, NYR fan checking in here. I was watching the ND-Western Michigan game tonight, and just wanted to say I was really impressed by your 2012 6th Round pick, Vince Hinostroza. A little undersized for sure, but he looked dangerous every single time he touched the puck. Fast and slippery, with a hard wrister. Ended the game 1-1-2 on the stat line, while being the best offensive player on the ice, IMO. He looks like he's going to need 3 or 4 years in college to fully bulk up (ND site lists him at 175lbs.... no way) and learn defensive responsibility, but man he's fun to watch.

Thanks for the report. We know he has some offensive skill but he's small so probably not NHL calibre unless he gets bigger.

How did Stephen Johns look? He's one of the Hawks' top d-man prospects.

Kennel

Aug 17, 2012
Teräväinen is playing as a winger today.

Last year this move was made after 9 games (and 1+1) and he got 12+17 in 33 games after that (of course back then the whole team was playing better).

I wouldn't be surprised if the new 1st line center was introduced in the end of October. If player spends less than 6 months is Finland, his taxes are about two thirds smaller.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Thanks for the report. We know he has some offensive skill but he's small so probably not NHL calibre unless he gets bigger.

How did Stephen Johns look? He's one of the Hawks' top d-man prospects.

I was mostly focusing on NYR's 2011 3rd Rounder, Steven Fogarty, so I wasn't focusing on Johns as much, but he looked fine. Didn't make any glaring defensive mistakes, but always seemed to try and do too much with the puck when taking it back the other way. There were a few times that he rushed the puck up the ice, as was actually successful at getting it into the offensive zone, but I just looked at it and said to myself "there's no way he's going to be able to do that at the NHL level," if that makes any sense. His skating probably isn't that close to where it needs to be either, but I guess that's to be expected for a guy his size, still growing into his body. His stride is smooth, but he really needs to work on acceleration. Take my opinion for what it's worth, since I was just watching him in passing.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I was mostly focusing on NYR's 2011 3rd Rounder, Steven Fogarty, so I wasn't focusing on Johns as much, but he looked fine. Didn't make any glaring defensive mistakes, but always seemed to try and do too much with the puck when taking it back the other way. There were a few times that he rushed the puck up the ice, as was actually successful at getting it into the offensive zone, but I just looked at it and said to myself "there's no way he's going to be able to do that at the NHL level," if that makes any sense. His skating probably isn't that close to where it needs to be either, but I guess that's to be expected for a guy his size, still growing into his body. His stride is smooth, but he really needs to work on acceleration. Take my opinion for what it's worth, since I was just watching him in passing.

Thanks - appreciate it.

How did Fogarty look?

Kentti

Oct 5, 2012
Teuvo Teräväinen was invisible and ineffective again as Jokerit lost to Kärpät 8-4 today. 0+0=0. His stats this season: G 9, G 1, A 1, P 1. It was the third loss for Jokerit in a row. From the last 6 games, Jokerit has lost 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad