Prospect Info: All Prospect Talk Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Just a reminder retroview: At their 2010 draft when the Blackhawks surprised and took KEVIN HAYES at #24 (I and many of the ranking orgs had him only about 35-39 range) THEN traded the #30 down witrh NYI (who took C/W BROCK NELSON at #30 --the exact player I wanted for us at #24) --then got the #35 (Ludvig Rensfeldt --who the Hawks never signed and let go as a free agent,but who I wanted at #30 and still feel they gave up on way too early) and Kent Simpson (G) at #58 with the other pick NYI gave us BUT who never will play net for us given our signing of Raanta who will be CC's back up in 2014/15....well I said then in 2010 it was a mistake for Stan to do that ..and so far I think the entire exercise of that deal with NYI looks like one big fizzle ...you see, BROCK NELSON has just made the NYI final 23 man roster..and he has had a terrific camp and pre-season earning that spot ---I saw him score a very nice shot goal against Craig Anderson yesterday as an Isles split squad beat an Ottawa split squad (they beat Ottawa also in a second split squad game yesterday) and I believe Nelson scored a goal in their 6-4 win over the Preds in the previous pre-season game...anyway I said then Stan goofed and I still think so because Kevin Hayes has underwhelmed at BC in his career their so far and I doubt he will impact at the NHL level but NELSON already now looks like he willbe a big contributor to that vastly deepened and rising NYI team that will soon be counted as one of the contenders from the East..

We tend to forgive Stan because of the 2 cups in 4 years but still you just cannot waste drafting opportunities like 2010 and turn them into fiascoes ...

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Just a reminder retroview: At their 2010 draft when the Blackhawks surprised and took KEVIN HAYES at #24 (I and many of the ranking orgs had him only about 35-39 range) THEN traded the #30 down witrh NYI (who took C/W BROCK NELSON at #30 --the exact player I wanted for us at #24) --then got the #35 (Ludvig Rensfeldt --who the Hawks never signed and let go as a free agent,but who I wanted at #30 and still feel they gave up on way too early) and Kent Simpson (G) at #58 with the other pick NYI gave us BUT who never will play net for us given our signing of Raanta who will be CC's back up in 2014/15....well I said then in 2010 it was a mistake for Stan to do that ..and so far I think the entire exercise of that deal with NYI looks like one big fizzle ...you see, BROCK NELSON has just made the NYI final 23 man roster..and he has had a terrific camp and pre-season earning that spot ---I saw him score a very nice shot goal against Craig Anderson yesterday as an Isles split squad beat an Ottawa split squad (they beat Ottawa also in a second split squad game yesterday) and I believe Nelson scored a goal in their 6-4 win over the Preds in the previous pre-season game...anyway I said then Stan goofed and I still think so because Kevin Hayes has underwhelmed at BC in his career their so far and I doubt he will impact at the NHL level but NELSON already now looks like he willbe a big contributor to that vastly deepened and rising NYI team that will soon be counted as one of the contenders from the East..

We tend to forgive Stan because of the 2 cups in 4 years but still you just cannot waste drafting opportunities like 2010 and turn them into fiascoes ...

You know that hindsight works both ways, don't you?

Kyle Turris: 234 games played, 43 goals, 61 assists, 104 points. (0.44 ppg)

Patric Kane: 446 games played, 149 goals, 275 assists, 424 points. (0.95 ppg)

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Kent Simpson is only 21 yrs old and starting his 2nd season of professional hockey ,, A bit early to write him off

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

Drafting is not an exact science. It's easy to go back and say shoulda done this. If you called Nelson back in 2010 good for you. Looks like an awesome prospect.

How about grabbing Saad in the second round the very next year and then following that up with Shaw in the fifth? I would say that makes up for some bad picks in 2010. You can't literally expect the organization to never make a bad pick, especially when dealing with the end of the first round. A "fiasco" as you call it would be squandering a top 5 pick into nothing. The 24th and 30th (and the spots they subsequently moved down to) are pretty much crap shoots anyways.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Kevin Hayes is going to be better than his brother, who just made the best team in the league as our 3rd line RW.

Simpson will be a back-up at worst, and Q was impressed with his play in camp this year.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Can't really say any goaltender will be, "at worst", anything in the NHL. There's potential in Simpson, and that's all you can really say about any goaltending prospects.. even the most highly touted ones; Gibson, Lehner, Vasilevski, etc. aren't locks to be anything in the NHL. Lack of spots, ups-and-downs in confidence, the structure of a team.. lots of things go into what most would deem a good or elite goaltender.

Crawford was considered by many at this time last year, as a borderline NHL starter, and probably a back-up, "at best". Now, he's talked about in the top-15 of goaltenders in the NHL and could be on the Canadian Olympic team.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Simpson gets underrated since we drafted him and kind of overseen on the landscape... he has talent and good positioning already. He played on a bad WHL team just to go to no PO Hogs and ECHL.

His save% was always fine compared to the team infront of him and his GAA came down when the team infront of him was good enough to make the POs with him.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Simpsons regular season stats are decent. Post season and international series stats takes a significant nose dive. Big series choker or just playing on bad teams.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Simpson's international resume is incredibly small. Most of his games are at the U17s.. hardly a precursor for NHL success.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Simpson's international resume is incredibly small. Most of his games are at the U17s.. hardly a precursor for NHL success.
Except he sucked in the U18 and lost the the US. Canada supposedly being able to field their 3rd string team and still win.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
He played 2 games, as the back-up, at the U18s. He probably didn't even play 4 periods total in that tournament..

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Last edited:

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
First of all: I believe you.

Anyway, so he was reassigned on Sept 24th, called up on Sept 28th and reassigned now on... Oct 1st? Could somebody open the logic of that to me a bit?

Crawford was dinged for the last pre season game so they called him up to be a back up.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Simpson makes the Hogs over Carruth. Also confirmation that Shalunov did sign an AHL deal.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Simpson was very good in the ECHL and has been good in his few AHL starts. It's not surprising that he'd make the team over Carruth. He was also the most impressive of all Chicago's goaltending prospects in training camp, including Raanta.

Kentti

Oct 5, 2012
TT played today, his team Jokerit won Ässät 5 - 3. TT had one assist to Jokerit's first PP goal. Highlights later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad