All of Tampa, FLA, EDM, Vegas, COL & Dallas made final/won cup recently - and are in "win now" mode still. Who wins a cup in next 5 years?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Over the next 5 years - which of these 6 teams win at least 1 Stanley Cup?

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
6 teams make up the Stanley Cup finalists of the past 5 years (I left out Montreal from 2021, since they're not exactly a contender today).

All 6 teams are currently in "win now" mode - and you could argue among these 6 teams are some of the absolute top cup contenders heading into next season. And in some cases - you might argue their window is going to last a few years still.

Poll Question is - over the next 5 years - which of these 6 teams win at least 1 Stanley Cup?

Tampa Bay - In my opinion, strongest team/core of the cap era. Only team to make the finals 3x in a row, and also won back to back cups....but have since lost in round 1 2x in a row. Despite that - they're definitely still in "win now" mode - and have actually made some significant changes to team so far this off-season. Kucherov just had his best season yet - one of the best overall individual seasons of the cap era. Stamkos/Sergachev gone, Guentzel in, etc. Does Tampa Bay win at least 1 more cup in the next 5 years?

Florida Panthers - Current champions, and one of very few teams to make back to back finals in the cap era. They came very close to being the laughing stock of the league and get reverse swept in finals - but to their credit they won game 7 and are champions. Great team, built for playoffs. A lot of changes this off-season already though. Can this team win at least 1 more cup in the next 5 years?

Colorado Avalanche - MacKinnon, Makar, Rantanen...which team in the NHL boasts a better top 3? Maybe 1 or 2 if you try really hard, or maybe none. It's a hell of a core. All still young enough too. Maybe you think the team needs a bit more depth, maybe a better goalie...but with that core do they have what it takes to win at least 1 more cup in next 5 years?

Las Vegas Golden Knights - Oddly quiet at draft/UFA day. They lost in round 1 of playoffs this year - very disappointing for a cup champion, but Dallas is quite strong themselves. Las Vegas always seems to pull off amazing moves, be it trades, at TDL, or UFA signings, or 'creative LTIR usage', etc. Great team - with a hell of a playoff track record over past few years, including 1 cup. Do they have 1 more cup win in them in next 5 years?

Dallas Stars - One of 2 teams listed who hasn't won one yet with this core. A lot of people had them as favorites in the West this season. Super deep team, with lots of talent. They had a great playoff run this year, seemed to run out of steam a bit in round 3 vs Edmonton. I suspect a lot of people expect them to be among top contenders again going into next year. Do the Dallas Stars manage to win at least 1 Stanley cup in the next 5 years?

Edmonton Oilers - Connor McDavid had a hell of a playoff run, with 42 points and a conn smythe and breaking records. Bouchard had a hell of a playoff run, breaking records himself. Draisaitl started out great, he did slow down towards end - he was injured, how much of it was due to injury vs just being 'off' is anyone's guess. But that's one hell of a trio. They added some good players as UFA's too, seem primed to contend again. But Drai has 1 year left before UFA, and McDavid right behind him, so lots of question marks. Do the Oilers manage to win at least 1 cup in next 5 years?

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
I think the window is closed for Tampa and Dallas. Colorado could still retool and contend. Harder to Vegas to retool, but still possible.

Florida and Edmonton are young enough to be back.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I think the window is closed for Tampa and Dallas. Colorado could still retool and contend. Harder to Vegas to retool, but still possible.

I'd say Dallas is fine. Their actual core is young. Heiskanen, Oettinger, Hintz, Robertson, Johnston, etc... Benn, Seguin are just cap-hit placeholders at this point.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Stars offseason doesn't have me feeling very promising unless Oettinger turns into Bobrovsky in the playoffs.

They still need a top 4 D and they didn't get one. I also am curious if most of the forwards will have a quiet playoffs again

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

The window is basically just opening up for Dallas

Lot of young elite& quality talent in the system and they’ll be able to free up lot of cap in the near future

Colorado’s situation looks like a mess right now and Tampa/Vegas are getting old

All Florida/Dallas/Edmonton have a legit chance in the next 3-5 years

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Stars offseason doesn't have me feeling very promising unless Oettinger turns into Bobrovsky in the playoffs.

They still need a top 4 D and they didn't get one. I also am curious if most of the forwards will have a quiet playoffs again

The best thing that happened to Stars this post season was seeing how well Johnston& Stankoven performed

Robertson has lot of work to do on becomin a playoff player

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
We drastically lowered our chances signing these garbage ass blueliners.
Our UFA approach is we just punted on 1st and 10 and i can't fathom why

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
EDM, FLA, DAL would be my picks. Voted EDM, at some point I think we will see some new blood in the cup finals over the next few years.

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
I think Dallas has a very big window and will win at least one cup in the next five years.

I bet Colorado makes at least one more trip to the finals in the next five years as long as they have Nate and Makar.

Tampa reminds me of the Wings post-2009 and Penguins post-2017. Their stock will continue to decline year over year.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
Florida did a good job keeping their team together, they definitely could win another

Edmonton, I'm a homer, so I say we win one, especially after keeping the important pieces this off-season.

With Dallas' core, they could win one. I think they are a small move or two away from becoming true contenders.

Colorado could win another; they have the high-end pieces to do it. As an average watcher of them, I would say they could make a big move and be a top contender again. They should be conference contenders every year for the next bit.

Vegas is chaos, but I think they start slowing down.

Tampa Bay has the least likely odds on the list, at the price of two cups and three finals appearances. I'm sure they're happy.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Vegas and Tampa are probably done. Dallas doesn't have the scoring jam to get it done. Colorado has huge holes to fill with Nichuskin and Landeskog being out so I'm not sure exactly what the plan is there. I'd bet Florida and Edmonton will be in the final four again next season. No one else in the East or West is really stepping up

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
I like the moves Edmonton made yesterday. I think they win it this coming season tbh.
Really? I think they had one of those “stars aligned” type playoffs this last season. I can’t see that happening again, not with that defense. I think they can squeak into the playoffs just because they play in the West, but they’ll get smoked in the first round.

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Voted Edmonton and Dallas in the next two years.

Sharks and Habs will spend the next decade trading the Cup and battling in the SCF each time. :sarcasm:

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The ship has sailed with Tampa, don't think Vegas will win another one either.

The rest can win a cup with some solid deadline additions.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
The ones that didn't win yet, I voted them. I think in a long run Dallas is biggest candidate because of some great long contracts(Miro&Hintz), Benn&Seguin contracts expiring, young studs who can improve a lot like Harley, Johnston, Stankoven, Bourque, Bichsel.

However, I don't like their moves this off-season at all, so I think for the next season, biggest contenders are finalists Edmonton and Florida, especially Oilers have done tremendous work this offseason. But Oilers will have serious cap problems after this season.

Colorado can't spend on wingers bc they have to save up a cap space for Nuke and Landy, who both are huge question marks, can they even return?

Vegas have had a poor off-season as well, losing lot of core pieces and even 780k$ which I don't understand at all.

Col&VGK can still come back with the right moves, but now they're running out of assets and doesn't have enough depth.

Tampa might be better than last year if Kuch can keep his level, but I don't see them going finals.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Really? I think they had one of those “stars aligned” type playoffs this last season. I can’t see that happening again, not with that defense. I think they can squeak into the playoffs just because they play in the West, but they’ll get smoked in the first round.

I mean Oilers relied on McDrai and Bouchard having an epic run...but they've done that 3 years in a row now (2 for Bouchard). I actually think their performances are likely to be repated, yes, it wasn't just a one off.

Also - Draisaitl was just not a good player in rounds 3 and 4. I assume it's because of his injury, so with a healthy Drai they could do better.

Their top 6 looks better for next year after UFA day - if healthy they can now roll 2 legitimate lines, which will be a big help.

Skinner in goals...is a strange one. He's either very good, or very bad. I feel as though he doesn't know how to be just average, or slightly above/below average - so assuming he doesn't shit the bed, he could probably be solid for another run.

I think the one huge "stars aligned" element of their run this year was their PK. That was stupid good, and I'm sure it won't be repeatable. But - I think with their stars having another epic run, they could still win without such a strong pk.

In my opinion - if Oilers retain their core for next 5 years, they almost for sure win one cup. The biggest risk really is Draisaitl's contract, followed by McDavid one year later. It's very possible they both stay, but also quite possible one, or both, leave.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Oilers window is basically next season, which is why I'm not too comfortable picking them. Florida and Dallas can win in the next 5 years. Colorado is also a possibility.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Colorado and Florida for me, Sakic and Zito are suave geniuses and have their cores locked in reasonably for a number of years.

If Edmonton doesn't win in 2025, they're not winning one.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
lmao Squeak?
They've been 2nd in the division for 5 years in a row. Hilariously poor choice of words.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Tampa I don’t think wins again. Colorado I could see but they need a couple of years to re took. Still could see them winning again in 2-3 years though. Vegas I don’t think does it. Their constant all in play since their inception is catching up with them. Florida Dallas and Edmonton are all good bets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad