All-Encompassing Womens Soccer Thread

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I feel like this could have been a red. There's no reason to throw your elbow into someone's face like that.

Edit: The knee to the face actually did the most damage.

Reactions: Summer Rose

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Can't say Spain doesn't deserve this. Significantly better team on the pitch today.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The best team won. This was a terrific tournament, exceptionally entertaining. And Spain is a very worthy champion.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think the enduring message from this WWC here is that, if it wasn’t clear before, the advantages some nations previously had when it came to development and support is gone and the major players are here and they’re serious.

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
US used to dominate recruiting and development thanks to title IX but Spain as well as England poured resources into their domestic leagues and development. Spain had some of the most talent out there including many players from Barcelona, who won the women's champions league.

That said, equality has a ways to go. This is the same Spanish side who literally revolted against Vilda and refused to suit up last year. A few players refused to play for him this year, yet they still won the championship. Curious to see how Spain resolves that dissonance. Just one in a long saga of feuds between players and federations.

Reactions: KevFu

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Congrats Spain. The better team won.

Not sure about taking Russo and Daly off at ht. Unless they were injured. Could have changed formation without making subs with Daly and Carter's versatility.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
US used to dominate recruiting and development thanks to title IX but Spain as well as England poured resources into their domestic leagues and development. Spain had some of the most talent out there including many players from Barcelona, who won the women's champions league.

That said, equality has a ways to go. This is the same Spanish side who literally revolted against Vilda and refused to suit up last year. A few players refused to play for him this year, yet they still won the championship. Curious to see how Spain resolves that dissonance. Just one in a long saga of feuds between players and federations.
The circumstances being what they are, you bring half your B-team and win it, says a lot to their quality of players and they clearly play an attractive brand of football.

Usually as long as you had your 3 or 4 best players going, you were in it.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think the enduring message from this WWC here is that, if it wasn’t clear before, the advantages some nations previously had when it came to development and support is gone and the major players are here and they’re serious.
Yup.

It took a while, but now the traditional footballing nations have established a culture in the women’s game and they will likely dominate the Top 5 for years to come.

Spain in particular looked awesome and they have talents in all positions. And this was without the best player in the world healthy.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Yup.

It took a while, but now the traditional footballing nations have established a culture in the women’s game and they will likely dominate the Top 5 for years to come.

Spain in particular looked awesome and they have talents in all positions. And this was without the best player in the world healthy.
I look at the Netherlands still maintaining a high quality without, like, the best goal scorer ever.

That would’ve been impossible before.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
It's not coming home.
It’s never been home.

IMG_2672.jpeg

CuuuJooo

May 28, 2021
Motherf*cker.

I KNEW that England would find a way to let me down again. Can’t remember the last time they gave up possession that easily and that often. They were lucky it was only 1-0.

Congratulations to La Roja!

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Congratulations to Spain. Things could have gone badly after they lost to Japan but they righted the ship.

I wonder how the players that took themselves off the team feel now? At least that allowed a young player like Paralluelo to shine on the world stage.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yup, as I said in this thread when US were knocked out. The women's leagues in England and France are attracting big names and some of the big teams in Germany and Italy are doing the same (Bayern, AC Milan). Barcelona are probably the best women's club team right now but they're dominance in Spain could prove problematic down the line unless other teams give similar focus to their women's teams. I mean they've lost only 2 games in the past three seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad