Confirmed with Link: All Encompassing Arena Talk: Meruelo focused on winning auction, but now may be looking for buyers (in and out of state)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018

attention to the wording when the auction gets announced. Says that there may be a possibility that the wording states that if you buy the land, you have to build an NHL arena. Have to think that would favor us.

Doesn't that open an angle for suit?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Doesn't that open an angle for suit?

Don't see how it would. You'd see threats of a lawsuit if, say, the Coyotes were trying to get public money to pay for development or even subsidize the cost of the land purchase, but as the owner of the state land, it's up to Phoenix to designate what the land should be used for if sold. In fact, it's a necessary element, to my way of thinking, so that a potential buyer doesn't promise to build one type of development on the lot, and then after winning the auction tries to build something completely different.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
I mean couldn't a potential other bidder file a suit if they phrase it like that?
Because this would not seem like an open auction anymore.
Atleast it does to me.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

RABBIT

AKA Turd Ferguson
I mean couldn't a potential other bidder file a suit if they phrase it like that?
Atleast it does to me.
I’m not heavily involved in municipality rules and regulations, but that being said, wouldn’t it be the state’s choice to put any stipulations they see fit on land up for auction?

It may not be as simple as I’m about to lay it out but the way I look at it is if I had some I’m hosting an auction for, I should be able to qualify my buyers in anyway I deem suitable.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Atleast it does to me.

It's still an open auction - it's just that if Meruelo were somehow outbid, the winning bidder would have to build an NHL arena on the land... :D

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Great minds don't stick rings in their noses but I don't think that's the point anyway. If the release of the renderings was a mistake, it is on Xavier and Alex, regardless of who pushed the buttons.
A high school classmate of my son's just graduated from MIT last May at the top of her class with a double major in Astrophysics and Aerospace Engineering with a...wait for it...gold ring in her nose. So yeah, in today's world, great minds do.

“Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!”
Folks, I like the pics, but, call me cynical, I’m not buying one bit of it at this point !
I'm with ya. Pretty pictures and all, but there's many a slip betwixt the cup and the lip.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Because you’re too good for her, man. Don’t sell yourself short. :)

Atleast it does to me.
U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Speaking of which, if Meruelo wins the auction, he'd better be on the effing phone to the NCAA re: the Frozen Four, Team USA for Olympics prep, the World Juniors folks, etc. to get their flabby white keisters out to the Hundred Acre Wood and set up shop.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Speaking of which, if Meruelo wins the auction, he'd better be on the effing phone to the NCAA re: the Frozen Four, Team USA for Olympics prep, the World Juniors folks, etc. to get their flabby white keisters out to the Hundred Acre Wood and set up shop.
And get on the horn and contact whomever did Mullett's ice-making apparatus or whatever you want to call it. I've skated on it and it's downright dreamy.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Atleast it does to me.
I believe the state could stipulate what has to be built on any land they sell. Anyone can bid if they agree to those terms.

It's still an open auction - it's just that if Meruelo were somehow outbid, the winning bidder would have to build an NHL arena on the land... :D
And whatever else the state wants on that land.

Reactions: moosemeister

Dirty Old Man

Still processing...
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
(In my mind that gets changed to "Hundred Acre Scrub".)

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
If indeed that verbiage is in the land use wording, then we'll know for sure that there was some level of... I don't want to say "collusion," but at least an understanding... between Phoenix and Meruelo on this. Because if that is the case, that's as much as gifting the land to Meruelo (albeit with a hefty "convenience charge") in the auction process.
My thoughts as well. Lends some credence to speculation that they would once again be the Phoenix Coyotes as well.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
I don’t think requiring a sports stadium would open it up to a suit, if I owned a big commercial spot and wanted to sell it to someone who’s gonna build the biggest Arby’s in the world, TJ maxxx just won’t have say.
Sorry TJ Maxx, but Arby's has the meats.

Real talk: I just saw the renderings, been at work all day. They look f***ing stunning.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
If the state decides they want bids to include plans for mixed use, including housing, retail, and a sports and entertainment district, with associated professional sports venue, how is that sneaky or wrong in any way? If that’s what they want, that’s what they want. Why would any lawyer or political have a problem with that? This is an America, man.

JasonDemersWasOkay

F Utah and anyone who roots for them
Nov 14, 2018
If the state decides they want bids to include plans for mixed use, including housing, retail, and a sports and entertainment district, with associated professional sports venue, how is that sneaky or wrong in any way? If that’s what they want, that’s what they want. Why would any lawyer or political have a problem with that? This is an America, man.
Exactly, like they can require what they want and if in some hypothetical scenario the coyotes didn’t want to build an arena, then they wouldn’t submit a bid.

I think we’re all just so used to dick punches that we’re all walking around with our legs shaking waiting for it

• Haha
Reactions: DustyDangler

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012

Why do governments own land? This is America.

Dirty Old Man

Still processing...
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
It’s a trust. So that schools get funding. Which they need pretty bad right now. Lowest literacy rates since the Great Depression.

USA! USA! USA!
Also, all those little eastern states in the erstwhile Northwest Territory and others - full of nothing but arable farmland - are all sold out... Arizona is of course late to the party, relatively, large, and still has a lotta land to play with. Give us time, Mig, we'll be sold out soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad