All Bruins rumors/proposals: Reset and Sweenified

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Wouldnt yandle be needed to land shattenkirk? If not him than staal?

In all honesty the shattenkirk rumors ring false and hollow. All indication ive seen indicates st louis overrates shattenkirk and wouldnt move him without drastic overpayment.

On the other hand its easy to imagine rangers have a very bad taste in their mouth reguards to yandle.

If rangers want pp qb to compliment mcdonough staal and girardi than krug might be very attractive?

I honestly could see rangers liking khoklachev too.

Id be ok with khoklachev and krug for yandle

Blues can't take on any big contracts in return. The whole point is clearing out cap space to sign Tarasenko. They'd be looking for cheaper prospects with upside and pics. That's my read, anyways.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Dom was suggesting on the other thread the B's were talking to the Blues for a long, long, while a week back. Also, it's been reported that Blues are listening to offers on Shattenkirk. They're having problems signing Tarasenko, and Shattenkirk is one contract they might consider moving if the offer is a good one.

They are listening because other teams are calling asking abot him, and they have to do their due diligence and listen.

If I had to put a percentage on Shattenkirk getting traded, it'd be at 0.05867%. That's still a chance, but less than slim. It's unlikely that they would move Gunnarsson at this point.

If they make a cap saving move, it'll most likely be a forward that's going

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Kelly's numbers weren't that bad. 28 points is around his norm. More than passable for a bottom-6 forward. $3 Million cap hit/$2.5 million real dollars isn't that unreasonable IMO. Struggle is finding a team that is a fit. You aren't going to get value back.

Take back a useless player or contract and you might be able to find a match that actually clears cap space. Started looking at teams that operate with an internal budget ($2.5M action dollars becomes a factor), and has playoff aspirations. Probably more attractive to young inexperienced teams as well. Not much out there.

I was thinking something like Bordeleau for Kelly. He's likely waiver fodder come training camp. That $1M of nothing for $2.5 of something kind of useful. $1.5 difference. Campbell signed for $1.5 over two years.... Maybe I'm grasping...

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
What could we offer?

We seen of teams are moving big contracts... price to acquire goes down. Shattenkirk is on a beauty of a contract.

St louis is far more likely to let bouwmeister go. If they do move shattenkirk its because someone overpays with yummy young affordable premium talent or established game changers.

Think name like patrice bergeron... or
package that starts with pastrnak and adds... and adds

Shattenkirk makes everyones list as one of top 25 dmen in nhl... a legit number 1.

At his contract... price is going to be a teams good right arm

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
They are listening because other teams are calling asking abot him, and they have to do their due diligence and listen.

If I had to put a percentage on Shattenkirk getting traded, it'd be at 0.05867%. That's still a chance, but less than slim. It's unlikely that they would move Gunnarsson at this point.

If they make a cap saving move, it'll most likely be a forward that's going

:laugh::laugh: Okay, I'm going to end the Shattenkirk speculation.

I'm not even going to do that bad "so you're saying there's still a chance" cliched joke response.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Wouldnt yandle be needed to land shattenkirk? If not him than staal?

In all honesty the shattenkirk rumors ring false and hollow. All indication ive seen indicates st louis overrates shattenkirk and wouldnt move him without drastic overpayment.

On the other hand its easy to imagine rangers have a very bad taste in their mouth reguards to yandle.

If rangers want pp qb to compliment mcdonough staal and girardi than krug might be very attractive?

I honestly could see rangers liking khoklachev too.

Id be ok with khoklachev and krug for yandle

How does moving Krug for Yandle help?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't think our forward group is good enough to contend, but I agree we need a top pairing D to replace Hamilton; a young, smooth skating, puck moving D. Also agree this is probably a retool year.

But if this is season is for retooling, what is the point of squandering our minimal cap breathing space by signing from the crop of average UFAs this year? Oduya is just another slowing, aging, D, to add to the rest of our slow, aging, core.

I say try to make a significant hockey trade to acquire someone like Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo, Weber, whatever, some player like that.

If not, then stay put this year, see if Morrow and some of the youngsters have developed, and if not, we miss the playoffs and probably worse, and then with any luck will draft twice in the top 10, possibly top 5, with our 1st round pick and SJS' first rounder next year. Come back hard in 2016/17 with even more cap flexibility (Kelly gone), new elite level 2016 pics, and a better UFA crop to sign D from. Also, Pasta, Spooner matured, and some of the 2015 crop of prospects may also be ready to contribute.

I didn't mean/say that the forward group in 2015-16 season is good enough to compete, but it has the potential to be good enough and should be if nothing crazy happens, Pasta, Connolly, Spooner will get another year to develop their game and get ready, Senyshyn/DeBust will have a year to develop and get closer to NHL.

To me 2/3 of our forward groups are ready to contend,
Eriksson-Krecji
Marchand-Bergeron
Beleskey-Spooner
can challenge anyone in this league, next year is a big test/growing year for our young rw guys.

Beleskey-Spooner-Pasta-Kuraly-Marchand-Seny will make our forward group one of the fastest in the league, forward group with speed+size+skill will be deadly while having strong 2way game.
Then Krug+C.Miller providing elite skating suppor from the D group, I cant wait to see those guys flying.

I'm with you on that Sweeney has to do whatever it takes to find that #1D, you can't win without that and our time is running out on that, it has to be found latest next offseason. We have lots of strong D-players in the system but none has that top top potential.

I'd seriously try to make a package for that 2nd overall if we won't win the lottery next year and get our potential elite #1D.

Your last post is basically what I'm after in my plan, don't do any stupid longterm signings, make sure you have huge cap space/ton of assets available next offseason and fill up the roster and go fighting, those 2 1st round picks right now are looking good, 5 top15 1st round picks in 2years should be one fast way to do your re-tooling.

I'm not saying add Oduya, but if Sweeney feels that he has to sign someone then Oduya for 2-3y deal wouldn't be the worst one, but if Oduya was to come in I'd ship Seids right away. I want 2-3 fast skating puck movers on our D froup, to provide a lot of offensive support and easy D-zone exits. I'm really hoping that Morrow+C.Miller can step up next year, it would help a ton.

BIG BAD BRUINS

Jan 23, 2010
Nova Scotia
Lyndon Byers
16 mins ·
The Boston Bruins and Cody Franson have come to an agreement on a contract. The Bruins will announce it tomorrow morning. Looks like we got that top 4-D everyone!
Like · Comment ·
Most Recent
107 people like this.
35 shares
View 19 more comments

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Blues can't take on any big contracts in return. The whole point is clearing out cap space to sign Tarasenko. They'd be looking for cheaper prospects with upside and pics. That's my read, anyways.

Yandle is 1.5 less than shattenkirk... if rangers eat 1/2 than yandle drops to 1.3 caphit

Ultimately a team needs to ice 18 skaters so going to zero isnt an option. I mention yandle to ny specifically because st louis would be seeking cap room if they deal shattenkirk.

Staals the better fit for st louis talent wise... but not contract wise

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
Dale Arnold ‏@DaleEArnold 1m1 minute ago
My buddy @lbwaaf says @NHLBruins have an agreement with D Cody Franson. If true, good addition by Don Sweeney.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Kelly's numbers weren't that bad. 28 points is around his norm. More than passable for a bottom-6 forward. $3 Million cap hit/$2.5 million real dollars isn't that unreasonable IMO. Struggle is finding a team that is a fit. You aren't going to get value back.

Take back a useless player or contract and you might be able to find a match that actually clears cap space. Started looking at teams that operate with an internal budget ($2.5M action dollars becomes a factor), and has playoff aspirations. Probably more attractive to young inexperienced teams as well. Not much out there.

I was thinking something like Bordeleau for Kelly. He's likely waiver fodder come training camp. That $1M of nothing for $2.5 of something kind of useful. $1.5 difference. Campbell signed for $1.5 over two years.... Maybe I'm grasping...

Considering 26 of his 28 points came before the trade deadline, and he put up a paltry 0-2-2 statline the last 20 games, during the most crucial time of the year, 3.0 mil per is a severe overpayment, I don't care how much leadership and defensive responsibility he brings. I think the guy is cooked much like Campbell was last year. He simply doesn't have the wheels anymore to be an effective player in this league.

The Bruins are likely going to leave a hole in their line-up AGAIN this season, likely a Top 4 D, just to retain Kelly for another season. I don't know how Sweeney can justify it but it is what it is.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I didn't mean/say that the forward group in 2015-16 season is good enough to compete, but it has the potential to be good enough and should be if nothing crazy happens, Pasta, Connolly, Spooner will get another year to develop their game and get ready, Senyshyn/DeBust will have a year to develop and get closer to NHL.

To me 2/3 of our forward groups are ready to contend,
Eriksson-Krecji
Marchand-Bergeron
Beleskey-Spooner
can challenge anyone in this league, next year is a big test/growing year for our young rw guys.

Beleskey-Spooner-Pasta-Kuraly-Marchand-Seny will make our forward group one of the fastest in the league, forward group with speed+size+skill will be deadly.
Then Krug+C.Miller providing elite skating suppor from the D group, I cant wait to see those guys flying.

I'm with you on that Sweeney has to do whatever it takes to find that #1D, you can't win without that and our time is running out on that, it has to be found latest next offseason. We have lots of strong D-players in the system but none has that top top potential.

I'd seriously try to make a package for that 2nd overall if we won't win the lottery next year and get our potential elite #1D.

Your last post is basically what I'm after in my plan, don't do any stupid longterm signings, make sure you have huge cap space/ton of assets available next offseason and fill up the roster and go fighting, those 2 1st round picks right now are looking good, 5 top15 1st round picks in 2years should be one fast way to do your re-tooling.

I'm not saying add Oduya, but if Sweeney feels that he has to sign someone then Oduya for 2-3y deal wouldn't be the worst one, but if Oduya was to come in I'd ship Seids right away. I want 2-3 fast skating puck movers on our D froup, to provide a lot of offensive support and easy D-zone exits. I'm really hoping that Morrow+C.Miller can step up next year, it would help a ton.

As usual, BB88, some good stuff in here. And also as usual, we're not disagreeing on a whole lot.

It's sort of funny that previously, when I thought Hamilton was going to be locked down long term, I thought fixing the D group was the easiest task, as all we needed to find was a "stay at home" type D with top 4 D quality, and we were good. Now, fixing the D is the most difficult task.

If the post a few lines up is accurate, sounds like Franson may have just been signed with the B's so... there's at least one D for the top 4... But Franson isn't a good enough Hamilton replacement.

It would be great to draft an elite D next year in the top 5, and then an elite F in top 5-8... But you're absolutely right. The clock is ticking on this, big time. The longer we take to find out future #1D, the longer we waste prime Bergy/Krejci/Marchy and whatever Chara has left in the tank.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Lyndon Byers
16 mins ·
The Boston Bruins and Cody Franson have come to an agreement on a contract. The Bruins will announce it tomorrow morning. Looks like we got that top 4-D everyone!
Like · Comment ·
Most Recent
107 people like this.
35 shares
View 19 more comments

On friday elliot friedman on edmonton radio said boston/buffalo were the two front runners for franson.

In all honesty the news didnt make me jump for joy.

But if his cap hit is south of 5 mill i suppose i will live with it.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Dale Arnold ‏@DaleEArnold 1m1 minute ago
My buddy @lbwaaf says @NHLBruins have an agreement with D Cody Franson. If true, good addition by Don Sweeney.

So whose going?

3.4 million left in cap space.

Does anyone see Franson signing here for less than that?

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown

Looks like the rumblings we heard may have been legit. Franson is an interesting addition if this is true.

I've previously mused about Franson as an add-- big, decent skating, has some decent offensive production, and plays physical.

Others have been skeptical of his defensive credentials, which is fair, but if anyone can help Franson with his positional play in his own end, it's Julien.

Could be very interesting; but we're still missing a future #1D to replace Hamilton. It's too much to ask Franson to be that player...

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
How does moving Krug for Yandle help?

Yandle has proven he can be asked to play 24-26 mins and go against top machups. Hes very mistake prone so its not ideal.

Krug has proven anything over 17-18 mins exposes him at this point and he needs tons of protection as far as zone starts. He has impressed on pp but hasnt clearly shown he generates offense at even strength.

Krug is still a pp asset at this point and might never be more than that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad