Boston Bruins All Bruins Free Agent/Trade Rumours and Proposals III

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
It's Eklund. That means the Bruins are never going to land Skinner. I think you should seek elsewhere for rumors. Eklund, Haggerty, Murphy? All one in the same. Hacks.

Maybe it’s right on, but it seems like the most generic rumor you could think of.

DS doesn’t seem like the guy to just take the name off the top of the list at this point.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Maybe it’s right on, but it seems like the most generic rumor you could think of.

DS doesn’t seem like the guy to just take the name off the top of the list at this point.

If Eklund is 'right' on this rumor, I'd chalk it up to the blind squirrel finally finding the nut. I don't think he's ever called a rumor/trade before it happened.

Reactions: GloveSave1

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Just going from a no tax state to the highest tax rate in North America probably makes this a non-starter.

If Seguin gets to the UFA talking period, I suspect it will go down much like Tavares in that he'll accept formal presentations from a select number of teams. He'd roughly be in the same caliber of UFA.

Hopefully he'd tell the Habs the same thing Tavares did, don't bother.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
I'd prefer no Skinner for a few reasons:
1) Another small forward being inserted into our top 6, makes us softer than we currently are
2) I believe I'm correct when I say he's had injury problems, possibly concussions?
3) I don't have a link or source........but remembering games against him, Bergy seems to have a genuine hate on for that guy.

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
1) Another small forward being inserted into our top 6, makes us softer than we currently are
2) I believe I'm correct when I say he's had injury problems, possibly concussions?
3) I don't have a link or source........but remembering games against him, Bergy seems to have a genuine hate on for that guy.

1) Who cares? He's an incredible goal scorer, especially when you consider who his linemates have been the past few years
2) Yes, he's had quite a few concussions
3) I'm sure Bergy will get over it

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

1) Plays with an edge, isn't afraid of going to the dirty areas for goals. Skinner isn't someone you would call "Soft"
2) Valid, concussions
3) There was 1 game against him where Skinner "slew foot" Bergeron and Bergeron reacted to it. Far from a "genuine hate" as you would call it.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Not a Skinner fan, but wouldn’t mind it if we had size already, but our foward group is so small already, and the prospects on cusp are small too. Montreal got no where in the playoffs when they had the smurf lineup to the point they got Laraque, who can’t play a lick and chased Lucic around. It was embarrassing for them.

They might as well wait if they are looking at another small forward.

Reactions: Strafer

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
1) Plays with an edge, isn't afraid of going to the dirty areas for goals. Skinner isn't someone you would call "Soft"
2) Valid, concussions
3) There was 1 game against him where Skinner "slew foot" Bergeron and Bergeron reacted to it. Far from a "genuine hate" as you would call it.

he's soft. 30 hits/yr, 25 blocks/yr, ~30 PIM/yr

He's also painfully 1 dimensional. A career -95 with 65% o-zone starts and zero PK min/gm

Reactions: Dizzay and Strafer

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

He's also painfully 1 dimensional. A career -95 with 65% o-zone starts and zero PK min/gm

Wrong.

Lack of hits thrown ≠soft. You don't get a Jeff Skinner to play him on the PK. That point makes zero sense as well. And he has played on terrible Carolina teams. +/- is useless in that case. Bergeron was a -28 one year.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Not a fan of Skinner or his style OR the fact that he's had multiple concussions IIRC. Also, I agree with Dizzay that there is something edgy between him and Bergeron. I would stay away.

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017

It's almost as if using plus minus on a player who has been on a team with laughably bad goaltending for 9 years is a bad way to assess that player's value...hmm...

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Not a fan of Skinner or his style OR the fact that he's had multiple concussions IIRC. Also, I agree with Dizzay that there is something edgy between him and Bergeron. I would stay away.

Hasn't missed significant time since the 2012 season.

GP since then

Way overblown about the injury issue.

Does this team need a Skinner to the degree that losing Krug makes this a wise move? Not IMO

Losing Krug for what? Knowing that I can give you an answer.

Reactions: maxl7

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
It's almost as if using plus minus on a player who has been on a team with laughably bad goaltending for 9 years is a bad way to assess that player's value...hmm...

Aho was +4 last year
Skinner was -27

well done ignoring the fact that I didnt use only +/- to show he's 1 dimensional.

once again:

35 hits per year
25 blocks per year
ZERO PK time

or how about some more?

-0.9 CFrel ON THE POWERPLAY
a career 0.6 CFrel

You too can have all this 1 trick pony goodness for the bargain basement price of trading valuable pieces AND paying him $6 million per year...

The 1 benefit is those that complain about Krejci being soft and not performing to his contract will have a new whipping boy

He makes Ryder look like Gainey

Reactions: Strafer

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Hasn't missed significant time since the 2012 season.

GP since then

Way overblown about the injury issue.

I still think that the other points are valid. The most important of which is I just feel that he's the wrong move, and he'd be yet another highly paid UFA. He would be finishing up on a $5,725,000 contract. He's not small but he's not a bruiser at 5'11" and as mar2kbos said he is not a physical player. He brings nothing that we don't already have or are on the verge of having, ESPECIALLY not hitting. In the playoffs, hitting is an important element, one which we were lacking this spring.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Aho was +4 last year
Skinner was -27

well done ignoring the fact that I didnt use only +/- to show he's 1 dimensional.

once again:

35 hits per year
25 blocks per year
ZERO PK time

or how about some more?

a career 0.6 CFrel

You too can have all this 1 trick pony goodness for the bargain basement price of trading valuable pieces AND paying him $6 million per year...

And that $6 million is only for this upcoming season. If anyone thinks that he's going to take less than that they're truly mistaken.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I still think that the other points are valid. The most important of which is I just feel that he's the wrong move, and he'd be yet another highly paid UFA. He would be finishing up on a $5,725,000 contract. He's not small but he's not a bruiser at 5'11" and as mar2kbos said he is not a physical player. He brings nothing that we don't already have or are on the verge of having, ESPECIALLY not hitting. In the playoffs, hitting is an important element, one which we were lacking this spring.

We have an abundance of goalscoring wingers that I'm not aware of? I don't think we have that many guys you can pencil in for 30 goals who don't play on the top line.

Reactions: Blowfish

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
Aho was +4 last year
Skinner was -27

once again:

35 hits per year
25 blocks per year
ZERO PK time

or how about some more?

a career 0.6 CFrel

He *is* one-dimensional. But using plus minus to evaluate his (or any player's) defensive ability is outdated and leads to bad conclusions on good players.

I'm not even arguing that the Bruins should trade for him, I just think that the reasons for not acquiring him so far have been really bad. There are legitimate reasons not to get him (acquisition cost, his UFA status, etc.) but using something as misleading and outdated as plus minus or his lack of "size" are absurd.

EDIT: Also, back to his "one-dimensional" label. Does every forward on this team need to be some two-way master in order to provide value?

It seems like people constantly harp on "balance" in the roster construction ("Can't have TWO 5'9" players on the backend!!!!") but what it really comes down to is that people value defensive ability over offensive talent. Because let's be honest, if people really cared about one-dimensionality they should be lobbying for the removal of McQuaid and Carlo, and should be questioning the signings of Nordstrom and Wagner.

Last edited:
Reactions: lopey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad