Player Discussion Alexis Lafreniere

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I don't think he's Panarin level of "can boost his linemates" but he doesn't totally need to be...as much as we rag on Panarin sometimes he is one of the absolute top offensive players in the league, that's not easy to find even with a 1st overall pick. But I think Laf would be a first line player without Panarin assuming his other linemates are also skilled. I don't think you stick him with plugs and he makes that a first line though...he needs someone with creativity to play off as well.
Kind of like Nylander in that regard (albeit very different players).

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Off to a terrific start, but part of me wonders what Laf looks like without Panarin. Can he carry a line? He shows brilliance, but anybody would benefit from playing with bread man. That’s what I’d expect from a $8MM player — if that’s what we will spend on him. Nothing wrong if he can’t, but then we should revisit that figure. How much, if at all, would his performance suffer if he played with other line mates or, better yet, to what extent would their production benefit from playing with him?

We’re not talking about a 50-60 point player. Regardless of line mates, he looks like a 70 point player, but I wonder if he can get to 90 without the Bread Man and whether he can turn 40 point guys into 55 point guys.
Another way of looking at this is that Panarin had a career year playing with Laf.

This isn't like Strome generating offensive opportunities with Bread despite doing dumb things out there and playing an entirely perimeter east-west game.

Laf looked like he belonged on the top line, finished his checks, and drove to the crease to score dirty goals as expected of a playoff performer.

Yes, he benefits from playing with possibly the best LW in the game. But he also made the most of his opportunity. And that's something others like Kakko have not at all been able to do. So to me, he's a top line guy and not a pretender getting carried.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Another way of looking at this is that Panarin had a career year playing with Laf.

This isn't like Strome generating offensive opportunities with Bread despite doing dumb things out there and playing an entirely perimeter east-west game.

Laf looked like he belonged on the top line, finished his checks, and drove to the crease to score dirty goals as expected of a playoff performer.

Yes, he benefits from playing with possibly the best LW in the game. But he also made the most of his opportunity. And that's something others like Kakko have not at all been able to do. So to me, he's a top line guy and not a pretender getting carried.
Honestly the eye test is even better than the stats with Laf since last season. He just looks great out there, especially during the playoffs.

Once the team decides to hand him the keys for real he’s going to put up a lot of points.

Reminds me of Fox his rookie season, he was elite af but was being held back statistically because of the pecking order . As soon as they cleared the way for him on PP1 he won the Norris.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad