Player Discussion Alexis Lafreniere

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
8x8 who says no? That's the kind of deal that allows you to continue to compete later on if he continues to grow and the cap does too

I say fair for both sides. Why don’t Rangers ever do these kind of deals with young players. I think Fox was the exception but he was a little older. Lafy should be wearing a letter in the near future. Let the kid have some responsibility. It cant hurt. He has leadership qualities. Good team player

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I'd give him an 'A' next season. Doesn't matter that he's super young, or a bit of a goofball; kid competes.

Was perhaps our best forward in the playoffs, and was absolutely our best forward against Florida. When games get tougher, he shows up to do everything he can to win. If that doesn't deserve a letter, then I've got no clue what the point of them are.

Reactions: Rongomania

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I say fair for both sides. Why don’t Rangers ever do these kind of deals with young players. I think Fox was the exception but he was a little older. Lafy should be wearing a letter in the near future. Let the kid have some responsibility. It cant hurt. He has leadership qualities. Good team player
Quite simply because we haven't had that many young players who have been worthy of that type on contract. Signing a player to that type of deal can save cap down the road, but it can also be a problem if the player doesn't develop.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
8x8 who says no? That's the kind of deal that allows you to continue to compete later on if he continues to grow and the cap does too

id absolutely have that offer on the table and would go up to prob 8.75 to get it done now, but he might still say no. that said, i don't think it comes from a mindset of chasing a lot more than that.

i'm not sure what would get it done now. the fact that he would rather play out this season and revisit though doesn't make me think he's seeking a max payday. i do think at this point he probably has less interest in getting locked in at a number he's confident he'll easily outplay like a 5.5-6.5...8 might be enough. personally, i just think he wants to show another level and prove he's in that upper tier of players in the league. if he does that, and the team demonstrates it values him as such though, i think he'll be pretty reasonable in his asks on a long term deal. he's as much of a team guy as there is in the league....it's impossible to not see how beloved he is as a teammate or how much he cares about his teammates. nothing about his personality suggests he's a guy chasing every dollar. i think he wants to know he's valued by his org to where they'd absolutely meet a 10mm type demand, but would take a bit less to keep the roster stronger and not feel like he pushed teammates out pushing for more. whatever he gets, he's going to be set for life and he knows that.

Reactions: bhamill

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Laf's contract won't be 8 years. That would mean his next contract after that will start when he's turning 32, which he isn't going to do. He's going to want to set himself up for another big payday. I expect the contract will be 5 years, 6 at most.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Laf's contract won't be 8 years. That would mean his next contract after that will start when he's turning 32, which he isn't going to do. He's going to want to set himself up for another big payday. I expect the contract will be 5 years, 6 at most.
Really what’s the difference if he takes 8x9 now and say 6x6 at 32, or 6x6 now and 8x9 at 30? If we even give 8 years at 30 at that AAV. AND another team can only give 7 years...
Basically I’m saying it is probably going to even out over the two contracts as far as money and years go. Then you take into consideration that he could get hurt in the next 6 years, getting the bigger money and longer term up front might be desirable. He’ll also have the loot earlier to invest for later.
Guess we will see, but really neither scenario would surprise me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad