Player Discussion Alexis Lafreniere

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Laf absolutely did not show signs of this breakout year. He showed some flashes here and there. You can't deny he had the talent, but nothing ever came together for more than a few games at any given time, opportunities or not. Nothing indicated he'd actually grab the fkn bull by the horns like he did this season and break out. Like you said, Buch was way farther along development-wise and was already in the middle of a big upswing. Trading Buch and the return NYR got was awful all around given where he was. There are about 15 other players I'd move off that 2020-21 squad to make room for him.

If Kakko is on the same general path as Laf of knowing what to do but not yet being able to put everything together, that's great and there's certainly still hope with how young he is. I would love nothing more than for Kakko to do the same thing next year that Laf did this year. But to me, there's nothing to really indicate that Kakko *will* put everything together. He's a solid possession guy, but I still don't think Kakko or the team really know what player he's trying to be, wants to be, or actually can be. A lot of people have said it - He needs to be stapled to the PK next season.

Being a post-season healthy scratch across two different coaching staffs in big time games is not a good look at all. The fact that Matt Rempe's 10 minutes was what replaced Kakko..I just don't see it happening with Kakko unfortunately, and I don't think the organization does either.
Buch “showed signs” at age 25.
Compare his offensive production at even strength to Kakko’s at the same age seasons. Same with Laf.
Stop comparing a 25 year old or 27 year old to an 18 year old.

xsniper11x

Jul 12, 2002
Visit site
I think PPG stats are actually pretty meaningless unless it’s accompanied w/ context on PP time. Would any of you take Zib’s performance this year over Laf’s? PPG says Zib was better. Then you realize over 50%(!) of his pts came on the PP. That is an astonishing reliance on the PP for a forward.

I’ll take the fwd who is 0.8 PPG with no PP pts vs the PPG player who gets 40%+ of his pts on the PP any day.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Buch “showed signs” at age 25.
Compare his offensive production at even strength to Kakko’s at the same age seasons. Same with Laf.
Stop comparing a 25 year old or 27 year old to an 18 year old.
What? Kakko's 23. Buch's big year was his last here, 2020-21 when he was 25 and he put up a respectable season when he was 24. At 23 Buch was on the PP. His second season in NY. In Buch's last season at 25 he was trusted on the PP and PK. Kakko is lucky to get a shot off in a game at 23 years old. Buch had more time to develop outside the NHL between being drafted and making his NHL debut, but I'm not sure what that has to do with what Kakko's been doing.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Laf absolutely did not show signs of this breakout year. He showed some flashes here and there. You can't deny he had the talent, but nothing ever came together for more than a few games at any given time, opportunities or not. Nothing indicated he'd actually grab the fkn bull by the horns like he did this season and break out.
You may not have seen it, but there were people on this board expressing specifically what you wrote. It's not a victory lap thing, it's just the truth. The analytical trend was there and the eye test was too.

Reactions: bhamill

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
What? Kakko's 23. Buch's big year was his last here, 2020-21 when he was 25 and he put up a respectable season when he was 24. At 23 Buch was on the PP. His second season in NY. In Buch's last season at 25 he was trusted on the PP and PK. Kakko is lucky to get a shot off in a game at 23 years old. Buch had more time to develop outside the NHL between being drafted and making his NHL debut, but I'm not sure what that has to do with what Kakko's been doing.
Im saying you’re comparing stats between two different players at very different ages.
Im pointing out that Buch did get pp2 time, and that he was getting some production out of it, but it was also during the time our power plays weren’t that good.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
You may not have seen it, but there were people on this board expressing specifically what you wrote. It's not a victory lap thing, it's just the truth. The analytical trend was there and the eye test was too.
I supported Laf through the long stretches of unremarkable play. I saw a lot of what people denied existed back then too. I simultaneously saw nothing to suggest he would put everything together to be a top line player. I would love to be shown the contrary with Kakko in the same way.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Remember when Kravtsov was going to outscore Laf and Kakko combined 2 years ago?

Laf had more goals in the playoffs than Vitali had in his NHL career.

Edit: he actually had more points too lol.
Kravy's been sandbagging us for dramatic effect. Yes, he will be back. Player/coach of the stanely cup winning 2024-2025 New York Rangers hockey club team

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I think PPG stats are actually pretty meaningless unless it’s accompanied w/ context on PP time. Would any of you take Zib’s performance this year over Laf’s? PPG says Zib was better. Then you realize over 50%(!) of his pts came on the PP. That is an astonishing reliance on the PP for a forward.

I’ll take the fwd who is 0.8 PPG with no PP pts vs the PPG player who gets 40%+ of his pts on the PP any day.
Oh no question Laf shit all over Zib this year.

Zib’s point totals are actually pretty pathetic considering his usage.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
You're fixated on my use of "PPG" to describe buchnevich when he never put up a point per game for NYR. this is a semantic dispute and not germane.
I’m “fixated” on not exaggerating what a player we traded was before we traded him. It’s NOT semantics. You are calling what was not a PPG player a PPG player. In fact he was at PPG only two out of what, eight seasons in the league?
My original response was a simple clarification of what Buch was: NOT a PPG player. YOU have expanded this whole thing. Just accept that you mischaracterized him. Or don’t. Because it doesn’t change what he was (not) when we traded him.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Laf has earned at least an A on his jersey next season--this kid is our future captain.
I wouldn’t give him the C yet. A lot of pressure for a young kid who’s just scratching the surface of what he can finally become. Maybe it’s time for an A.
He’s got a lot of playoff experience already at such a young age….
Trade Trouba.
Imo Trochek is the next/real captain of this team….
Cuylle living with his family all season,
Him going right up to Igor after the loss,
The entire year with Laf on his line rubbing off on him as well. He’s been an A+ signing and truly a guy who leads by example.
He’s not a guy who just talks either, he backs it up on the ice…
He’s been around the block, this is his 3rd team and he’s 30 years old.
To me, there is no other choice really….

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I wouldn’t give him the C yet. A lot of pressure for a young kid who’s just scratching the surface of what he can finally become. Maybe it’s time for an A.
He’s got a lot of playoff experience already at such a young age….
Trade Trouba.
Imo Trochek is the next/real captain of this team….
Cuylle living with his family all season,
Him going right up to Igor after the loss,
The entire year with Laf on his line rubbing off on him as well. He’s been an A+ signing and truly a guy who leads by example.
He’s not a guy who just talks either, he backs it up on the ice…
He’s been around the block, this is his 3rd team and he’s 30 years old.
To me, there is no other choice really….

I just hope Trocheck’s physical style of game ages well but at his size who knows. He is a competitor. Wish other vets had that in them. Show some emotion and get involved in the battle. Trouba sadly had no trade value. He’d have to be bought out for the Rangers to get rid of him. I think Lafy should get an A in the future. Let him get better a player and person in the 24-25 season. Maybe in the 25-26 season would be better for Lafy to get an A.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Just want to emphasize how good Laf was in the playoffs. After a great season he put an exclamation point on it with his playoff performance. He hasn't played in weeks and is still among the playoff leaders in EV goals.

He's the real deal. Always has been. Give him PP1 time and he's going to be a 40+ goal scorer as soon as the 24-25 season.

And if they are changing C's and A's this summer I'd slap an A on his chest and eventually the C.

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
Just want to emphasize how good Laf was in the playoffs. After a great season he put an exclamation point on it with his playoff performance. He hasn't played in weeks and is still among the playoff leaders in EV goals.

He's the real deal. Always has been. Give him PP1 time and he's going to be a 40+ goal scorer as soon as the 24-25 season.

And if they are changing C's and A's this summer I'd slap an A on his chest and eventually the C.
100%. Laff really took the steps we all hoped he would, and the best part is he did it all season. This is just his level of play now. Let's hope there's room for more, but MAN was he good. Very excited for his future here. I couldn't agree more that he should get an A. Start grooming him for a captaincy now.

Reactions: noncents

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
100%. Laff really took the steps we all hoped he would, and the best part is he did it all season. This is just his level of play now. Let's hope there's room for more, but MAN was he good. Very excited for his future here. I couldn't agree more that he should get an A. Start grooming him for a captaincy now.
Even when you look at Laf's point totals for the year, and consider the fact that they're mostly at even strength, it still doesn't tell the whole story.

There were probably 10-15 games when he was kept off the scoresheet where he was our best forward during the regular season, especially in the first half of the year. He was dangerous even when he wasn't scoring.

In fact, I can't really recall him having a bad game this year. He stopped being a passenger.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
Even when you look at Laf's point totals for the year, and consider the fact that they're mostly at even strength, it still doesn't tell the whole story.

There were probably 10-15 games when he was kept off the scoresheet where he was our best forward during the regular season, especially in the first half of the year. He was dangerous even when he wasn't scoring.

In fact, I can't really recall him having a bad game this year. He stopped being a passenger.
Couldn't agree more. Scoring wasn't the only story. He did EVERYTHING. Just unreal from him.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
kids a stud. it's that simple.

that doesn't mean he won't have a bad game or a bad stretch, or that jack hughes won't double his point production.

but what's important is he's a guy who elevated when it matters, a guy you can win with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad