Confirmed with Link: Alexis Lafreniere Signs Extension [7Y/7.45M AAV]

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Nice deal indeed. Looking forward to watching him for at least the next 7 years.
Get him on the PP. It also be nice to see him drive his own line, but Panarin and he are dynamite together so that can wait...

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
To add: let's keep the tribalism to a minimum. We don't need a victory lap against the "Laf haters" every time he scores or a dunk session on the "Laf defenders" every time he has a bad game.

We root for the same team.
I have always been rooting for him, even when it looked like he may not break through and even I had some doubts going into last season. I'm happy for him that he's been able to play to the level that got him that new contract. They were patient with him (and an new HC helped him break out) an they have seen the results.

Hopefully he continues to progress like he has in the last 12 months. He'll likely never be a 100 pt player, but a high level forward in he top 6.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Nothing is better than being wrong about a player you were down on for a team you root for. Now hopefully Kakko redeems himself and K and Trouba do the same. Lindgren....lost cause.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Before the 2023 season I traded debrincat for Laf in my fantasy hockey dynasty league and I'm feeling like such a guru right now.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I only wish it was 8 years.

wow. I thought for sure no cheaper than 8.25-8.5

L

that .55 is 4.5m almost 10% of the entire deal.
I think you're not wrong but thats a lot of money to turn down for a year.
So this is a good way to explain what I often mean when I say that players think about salaries in cash terms not cap hit: this (excellent extension for the Rangers) has build in cash increases year over year. Lafreniere will likely make less in earlier (including 2 RFA) years and will have increases as he gets older (let’s say from $5m in the first year to $10m in year 7) that comes to this $7.5 average. For Drury to buy the 8th year Lafreniere agent let’s say asked for $11.5 cash then $11.5-$7.5=$4/8=$0.5m extra AAV that would bring the contract to $8x8, and GM said no can’t do it. This is an illustration obviously.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
So this is a good way to explain what I often mean when I say that players think about salaries in cash terms not cap hit: this (excellent extension for the Rangers) has build in cash increases year over year. Lafreniere will likely make less in earlier (including 2 RFA) years and will have increases as he gets older (let’s say from $5m in the first year to $10m in year 7) that comes to this $7.5 average. For Drury to buy the 8th year Lafreniere agent let’s say asked for $11.5 cash then $11.5-$7.5=$4/8=$0.5m extra AAV that would bring the contract to $8x8, and GM said no can’t do it. This is an illustration obviously.

But that is not what the deal is. He gets less money almost every year starting with 10M next year and ending with 6M the last 3. It will almost never make sense for the salary to up in later years (provided a non cheap owner) since the AAV is based on total dollars and money now is worth more than money later so if the owner doesn’t care about paying more now he can likely get a lower AAV by front loading the deal

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
But that is not what the deal is. He gets less money almost every year starting with 10M next year and ending with 6M the last 3. It will almost never make sense for the salary to up in later years (provided a non cheap owner) since the AAV is based on total dollars and money now is worth more than money later so if the owner doesn’t care about paying more now he can likely get a lower AAV by front loading the deal
Ok, I didn’t see the structure, but I doubt that the issue was that Lafreniere wanted $0.5m more each year - the extra $4 would have been included in only one or maybe two years(early years in this case).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad