Confirmed with Link: Alexis Lafreniere Signs Extension [7Y/7.45M AAV]

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
But he was given a chance, he's been given nothing but chances since he's been here. I don't know off hand but I'm willing to bet his most common line mates last season were with good players and not 4th line scrubs. All we heard last year was that the Rangers were ruining him because he wasn't on the first line or first PP unit. His detractors, I was one of them, just wanted to see some flashes in whatever role he played but looked awful.

Maybe he just wasn't ready seasons prior, maybe the lightbulb in his head went off and he realized he needed to rethink how he trains in the offseason. It really doesn't matter and it's great he looks like a completely different player but I don't see his deployment or PP usage being the catalyst for what we're seeing now.
This is incorrect. Laf and Kakko have not received the same investment in their development as top picks normally get. He wasn’t given every chance. He’s STILL not on PP1 where all top picks are normally stapled right from the start. (and yes I understand why, but that still doesn’t change the fact that he hasn’t had that opportunity) Slower development was to be expected because of that. Putting three young guys all trying to find their game on the same line was not best for their development either. It was what the coaches thought was best for winning in the short term. Lines they were on with vets were quickly broken up for a bad game or even just a couple of ineffective shifts. The way the were utilized was terrible for their confidence, and THAT is the biggest thing. If the “lightbulb” you are referring to was realizing he had the support of his coach and wasnt going to be moved off Pan’s line or back to LW after a few shifts or a game then yeah, lightbulb moment. His detractors were saying he took no steps forward over the summer when he didn’t look great in preseason, so, no, it was not that he “finally” started putting in the work this past off season either.
The difference is being a year older, more man strength and most importantly more confidence. He didn’t learn that shootout backhand over the summer or since preseason. He didn’t have the confidence to try these things. Or RARELY did. Lavi has given him his vote of confidence and that has given Laf HIS confidence. Gallant would have broken up the Laf Fil Bread line during the Nashville game and everyone would still be calling Laf a bust. That’s just the reality of it.

Last edited:

Stone97Ace

Oct 30, 2023
My 18 cents...the shit everyone's been taking on Laf has led to what he's doing now..he's been the popular kid at the rink for way too long then got a harsh wake-up call, even leading to him making his Insta going private. He woke up.

Some guys, actually most, shrivel up. He stepped up, in NYC on top of everything. He's now in serious zone - you can see it in his interviews (hopefully it's not when can I go to the Canadiens).

I bought a nephew a Kakko jersey and bashed people who made fun of his name. I think Kappo would react differently.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
This is incorrect. Laf and Kakko have not received the same investment in their development as top picks normally get. He wasn’t given every chance. He’s STILL not on PP1 where all top picks are normally stapled right from the start. (and yes I understand why, but that still doesn’t change the fact that he hasn’t had that opportunity) Slower development was to be expected because of that. Putting three young guys all trying to find their game on the same line was not best for their development either. It was what the coaches thought was best for winning in the short term. Lines they were on with vets were quickly broken up for a bad game or even just a couple of ineffective shifts. The way the were utilized was terrible for their confidence, and THAT is the biggest thing. If the “lightbulb” you are referring to was realizing he had the support of his coach and wasnt going to be moved off Pan’s line or back to LW after a few shifts or a game then yeah, lightbulb moment. His detractors were saying he took no steps forward over the summer when he didn’t look great in preseason, so, no, it was not that he “finally” started putting in the work this past off season either.
The difference is being a year older, more man strength and most importantly more confidence. He didn’t learn that shootout backhand over the summer or since preseason. He didn’t have the confidence to try these things. Or RARELY did. Lavi has given him his vote of confidence and that has given Laf HIS confidence. Gallant would have broken up the Laf Fil Bread line during the Nashville game and everyone would still be calling Laf a bust. That’s just the reality of it.
You keep using PP time as a reason why he was so underwhelming last year with no proof. What makes you think that would have mattered, especially when he’s doing what he’s doing this season with no PP 1 time? The rest of this post is just a bunch of conjecture that people have been spewing for the last two seasons. He was too invisible for far too long last season and did nothing with the multitude of opportunities and linemates he was given.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
My 18 cents...the shit everyone's been taking on Laf has led to what he's doing now..he's been the popular kid at the rink for way too long then got a harsh wake-up call, even leading to him making his Insta going private. He woke up.

Some guys, actually most, shrivel up. He stepped up, in NYC on top of everything. He's now in serious zone - you can see it in his interviews (hopefully it's not when can I go to the Canadiens).

I bought a nephew a Kakko jersey and bashed people who made fun of his name. I think Kappo would react differently.

Panarin literally said in Staple's recent article that Lafreniere "grew up enough" and now he's playing to his potential. Seems like everyone around the team knew it was time for Lafreniere to put on his big boy pants and he has done that. It will make him an even stronger player in the future, especially in this market, as you mentioned.

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

Shadowtron

Feb 27, 2002
Earth
It's not revisionist history though.
Through the 1st 13 games of last season (ie the same point as now basically) Laf played exclusively with Tro and Panarin. That line was 1st in 5v5 ice-time 11 times and 2nd the other two. Laf himself was 1st in 5v5 icetime 6 times in those games, 2nd another 4 and 3rd twice.
He just didn't look anything like he does now.

Even when they put the kid line back together for 8 games (before they split it up again for 6 games then went back to it again) that lines was 1st in TOI 4 times and 2nd twice. Laf was anywhere from 3-8th in ice time.

In the vast majority of those games he looked like an absolute passenger and it wasn't because he was on some 'leash'.

It's absolutely brilliant that Laf is starting to look like the player (almost) everyone thought and/or hoped he'd be, but to say it's happening because he's finally being given an opportunity is BS. This is just the first time he seems to be really maximizing the opportunity given.
Excellent post.

I was never a proponent of blaming the franchise and/or coaches for Laff looking like the most disappointing 1st overall in about a decade. I put the majority of it on his shoulders. And as such, I also put the majority of this emergence almost entirely on him. Yeah, Lav and Panarin may be helping his stat line. But he just looks…different out there. Faster…confident…playing with determination. He’s keeping up and getting into the spots he needs to be in. This is the only thing I’m willing to eat crow over: I didn’t think he had this level in him. I chalked him up to a hyped 1OA who’s game just didn’t translate to the NHL level. He was what he was. But over these past 14 games he’s been proving me wrong. And I’m thrilled to be wrong.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
You keep using PP time as a reason why he was so underwhelming last year with no proof. What makes you think that would have mattered, especially when he’s doing what he’s doing this season with no PP 1 time? The rest of this post is just a bunch of conjecture that people have been spewing for the last two seasons. He was too invisible for far too long last season and did nothing with the multitude of opportunities and linemates he was given.
No, I have not. I have used lack of PP1 time as evidence that he did not receive the same investment in development and high picks normally get. That's not the only difference in usage, responsibility and opportunity, but its the most easily demonstrable. Aside from PP1 time (and even his PP2 shifts are longer) he's being used completely differently. When he looked bad in preseason, and the "pundits" on here were saying he deserves a PTO for his next contract or that we should trade him with a 1st attached for Garland, Lavi didn't panic, didn't break up the lines, didn't sit him, and instead ENCOURAGED him and built up his confidence.
SURE, it's all conjecture, as is everything you "spew" on it as well, but what I'm saying is pretty much common sense/logical/obvious. Pretty funny to consider labeling talking about his confidence being the difference between now and last season (AND preseason) "conjecture", while you guys were all making up scenarios about how he doesn't train in the off season and just eats poutine. Which I admit was often entertaining as f***. hahaha.
Hey, if you want to say it's all conjecture and stay in denial about how important confidence is and how the current staff have nurtured that instead of stomping on it, that's fine, but then should you really be throwing your own conjecture out there about "not putting in the work"? I mean how much room was there for "work" between pre season and the season? That makes no logical sense.

GENESISPuck94

May 2, 2022
NJ
He is being given a better opportunity this season. Its the opportunity to go out and play without constantly having to second guess himself because if he made a mistake he'd be demoted and benched. This coaching staff is giving him the opportunity to go out there and do things regardless if he makes a mistake or not. I don't care what anyone says that in itself is the biggest difference. Being given the opportunity to be creative, to make plays, to take risks.

The next step is to give him PP1 time where he can rack up gimme points like all his peers do on PP1.

Last season Laf wouldn't have been in the shootout that early. He would have gone after everyone and their mother.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
No, I have not. I have used lack of PP1 time as evidence that he did not receive the same investment in development and high picks normally get. That's not the only difference in usage, responsibility and opportunity, but its the most easily demonstrable. Aside from PP1 time (and even his PP2 shifts are longer) he's being used completely differently. When he looked bad in preseason, and the "pundits" on here were saying he deserves a PTO for his next contract or that we should trade him with a 1st attached for Garland, Lavi didn't panic, didn't break up the lines, didn't sit him, and instead ENCOURAGED him and built up his confidence.
SURE, it's all conjecture, as is everything you "spew" on it as well, but what I'm saying is pretty much common sense/logical/obvious. Pretty funny to consider labeling talking about his confidence being the difference between now and last season (AND preseason) "conjecture", while you guys were all making up scenarios about how he doesn't train in the off season and just eats poutine. Which I admit was often entertaining as f***. hahaha.
Hey, if you want to say it's all conjecture and stay in denial about how important confidence is and how the current staff have nurtured that instead of stomping on it, that's fine, but then should you really be throwing your own conjecture out there about "not putting in the work"? I mean how much room was there for "work" between pre season and the season? That makes no logical sense.
He started last year with Panarin and Trochek. How is that any different than how he's being used this season?! No matter how bad he played last year (and there were stretches where he was awful) he was still in the lineup. But I guess Kakko and Chytil weren't worthy linemates and Kreider and Zib also weren't up to snuff for the kid?

And no one was making up scenarios about how he didn't train. He didn't train. Valiquette said it on air. There were rumblings about it all over the place. But credit to him and in his own words, he worked on his skating and explosiveness in the offseason, and it seems to have paid off because he looks like a different guy out there.

He is being given a better opportunity this season. Its the opportunity to go out and play without constantly having to second guess himself because if he made a mistake he'd be demoted and benched. This coaching staff is giving him the opportunity to go out there and do things regardless if he makes a mistake or not. I don't care what anyone says that in itself is the biggest difference. Being given the opportunity to be creative, to make plays, to take risks.

The next step is to give him PP1 time where he can rack up gimme points like all his peers do on PP1.
Where is the proof? You guys are just making shit up at this point.

Reactions: Mandar

GENESISPuck94

May 2, 2022
NJ
He started last year with Panarin and Trochek. How is that any different than how he's being used this season?! No matter how bad he played last year (and there were stretches where he was awful) he was still in the lineup. But I guess Kakko and Chytil weren't worthy linemates and Kreider and Zib also weren't up to snuff for the kid?

And no one was making up scenarios about how he didn't train. He didn't train. Valiquette said it on air. There were rumblings about it all over the place. But credit to him and in his own words, he worked on his skating and explosiveness in the offseason, and it seems to have paid off because he looks like a different guy out there.

Where is the proof? Watch the games. Every single time he or his line messed up they'd have an extended seat on the bench. This season he hasn't. If he turns the puck over he doesn't magically find himself on the 3rd line the next shift 15 minutes later.

Or you know, ignore reality to be contradictory in the face of logic.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Where is the proof? Watch the games. Every single time he or his line messed up they'd have an extended seat on the bench. This season he hasn't. If he turns the puck over he doesn't magically find himself on the 3rd line the next shift 15 minutes later.

Or you know, ignore reality to be contradictory in the face of logic.
This is such BS. If he was benched for every bad play last year, he would have never seen the ice.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012

If you can't see (or maybe just can't admit) the difference between Laf's handling last year and this year I can't help you. Just like if you can't see, or admit, the sky is blue I can't help you. And I have no need to. It's obvious and most people can see it.

You are stating unequivocally, without proof, that he didn't train in the off season (no Valiquette did not say he didn't train, if so link it), at the same time that you are giving him credit for working on his skating and explosiveness (because Laf said he did), contradicting yourself, while accusing other people of just making shit up... Yeah, he worked on his skating and explosiveness between pre season, where he looked just like he did last year and regular season where he's a confident top six winger. Imagine if he did that for a whole off season! This is the silliest conjecture yet on Laf.

Shadowtron

Feb 27, 2002
Earth

Last season Laf wouldn't have been in the shootout that early. He would have gone after everyone and their mother.

I think maybe where the scouts got it wrong, and let me know your thoughts, is perhaps his game wasn’t as matured as they had thought. It can’t be mere coincidence that both he and Quinton Byfield are both quietly breaking out this season. Forget points and ice time for a second….his overall game just looks better.

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
If you can't see (or maybe just can't admit) the difference between Laf's handling last year and this year I can't help you. Just like if you can't see, or admit, the sky is blue I can't help you. And I have no need to. It's obvious and most people can see it.

You are stating unequivocally, without proof, that he didn't train in the off season (no Valiquette did not say he didn't train, if so link it), at the same time that you are giving him credit for working on his skating and explosiveness (because Laf said he did), contradicting yourself, while accusing other people of just making shit up... Yeah, he worked on his skating and explosiveness between pre season, where he looked just like he did last year and regular season where he's a confident top six winger. Imagine if he did that for a whole off season! This is the silliest conjecture yet on Laf.
On air he said, he needs to leave his golf clubs in his car this summer. And if you don't see a difference in his skating this year, that's on you.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I think maybe where the scouts got it wrong, and let me know your thoughts, is perhaps his game wasn’t as matured as they had thought. It can’t be mere coincidence that both he and Quinton Byfield are both quietly breaking out this season. Forget points and ice time for a second….his overall game just looks better.

A lot of factors people deemed 'excuses' and 'copium':

- Covid seasons may have just harmed some players development more than others.

- We've had some wild, dog shit coaching the past few years (thx Lav and co. luv u).

- Our PP1 has been untouchable and I agree to an extent. Though I really do wish Laf and Kak could get in there.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
On air he said, he needs to leave his golf clubs in his car this summer. And if you don't see a difference in his skating this year, that's on you.
On air he hinted that all of the young guys needed to take their training to another level. That's a very far cry from "not training." ...
Difference in skating this year... after all the detractors were saying in preseason, that he obviously DID NOT work on his skating or anything else. Hahahaha. I see a big difference in his skating between PRESEASON and REGULAR season. Tell me how that's due to him upping his training. Please. That must be a HELL of a program. Or just MAYBE it's confidence which makes you do EVERYTHING at a higher pace.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
On air he hinted that all of the young guys needed to take their training to another level. That's a very far cry from "not training." ...
Difference in skating this year... after all the detractors were saying in preseason, that he obviously DID NOT work on his skating or anything else. Hahahaha. I see a big difference in his skating between PRESEASON and REGULAR season. Tell me how that's due to him upping his training. Please. That must be a HELL of a program. Or just MAYBE it's confidence which makes you do EVERYTHING at a higher pace.
No, he specifically called out Laf. Take it however you want but it was obvious to everyone outside of the "his coach is mean to him crowd" that what he was doing wasn't cutting it. But sure, confidence.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
No, he specifically called out Laf. Take it however you want but it was obvious to everyone outside of the "his coach is mean to him crowd" that what he was doing wasn't cutting it. But sure, confidence.
I remembered it as the "young guys" in general, but since Laf is in that group, what's the difference? It doesn't change my point at all.
Yeah and it was clear in pre season that he still wasn't cutting it to the "he needs to work harder (or at all, apparently) in the offseason crowd," but sure, he upped his training and improved his skating between then and the regular season... Sounds way more reasonable than confidence, right?
And for the record, I've said that he didn't receive the investment in his development that high picks normally get (KK has not either), I never even HINTED that the coach was mean to him. Maybe someone else had that take? No idea. My contention is the coaches prioritized trying to win over development, which I can't even fault them for, it's a balancing act. At worst he was MISHANDLED, not MISTREATED. Lavi seems to have a MUCH better grasp on the balance between development and trying to win.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I remembered it as the "young guys" in general, but since Laf is in that group, what's the difference? It doesn't change my point at all.
Yeah and it was clear in pre season that he still wasn't cutting it to the "he needs to work harder (or at all, apparently) in the offseason crowd," but sure, he upped his training and improved his skating between then and the regular season... Sounds way more reasonable than confidence, right?
And for the record, I've said that he didn't receive the investment in his development that high picks normally get (KK has not either), I never even HINTED that the coach was mean to him. Maybe someone else had that take? No idea. My contention is the coaches prioritized trying to win over development, which I can't even fault them for, it's a balancing act. At worst he was MISHANDLED, not MISTREATED. Lavi seems to have a MUCH better grasp on the balance between development and trying to win.
Homie, Laff was like in the top 4 for ES ice last year. How is that any different than what Lav is doing this year? He's being used the almost identically to how he was used for the majority of last year. Lots of ES ice, not a lot of PP time.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Homie, Laff was like in the top 4 for ES ice last year. How is that any different than what Lav is doing this year? He's being used the almost identically to how he was used for the majority of last year. Lots of ES ice, not a lot of PP time.
It's not almost identical treatment/usage. Hahaha. There's WAY more to it than how much EV or PP time you get. But sure it was him upping his training after pre season... that is the difference, not confidence. Lavi hasn't moved him around at all, uses him late in the game, gives him responsibility that he didn't get. If he makes a mistake he's not stapled to the bench or moved to a different line. Tell me you really believe Gallant leaves that Laf/Fil/Bread line together after that awful Nashville game... it would have been done by the 3rd period. Lavi and his staff nurtured Laf's confidence, that is the difference. You want to stay in denial about that for the sake of some illogical narrative that's not my concern.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
It's not almost identical treatment/usage. Hahaha. There's WAY more to it than how much EV or PP time you get. But sure it was him upping his training after pre season... that is the difference, not confidence. Lavi hasn't moved him around at all, uses him late in the game, gives him responsibility that he didn't get. If he makes a mistake he's not stapled to the bench or moved to a different line. Tell me you really believe Gallant leaves that Laf/Fil/Bread line together after that awful Nashville game... it would have been done by the 3rd period. Lavi and his staff nurtured Laf's confidence, that is the difference. You want to stay in denial about that for the sake of some illogical narrative that's not my concern.
Oh now it's no longer about EV or PP ice time guys get? Weren't you the guy bitching in every damn thread about Laff not getting any PP 1 time and how it was ruining his development? You think what you want. You're right, Laff didn't work his skating this offseason, clearly he was lying when he said it just to appease Vally. It's simply a matter confidence. At least we don't have to hear about Laff not being on the PP anymore because he's confident.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
If anyone has had a boss leave their company and seen it go to shit or a bad boss leave and a much better boss come in and turn the entire atmosphere of your job around you can understand what someone who is on their 3rd boss(coach) just starting his 4th season must have gone through.

Its comical because everyone gave Quinn crap and now Gallant but now its not their fault. GTFOOH with that garbage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad