Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 4)

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
I’m sorry but if he indeed is as large as that photograph suggests, then he is not taking care of himself at all. Which is totally fine, he’s an icon and has earned that right. He’s also going to be 39 when the season kicks off and he looked awful to start the year and his playoff performance was dreadful. Hopefully he comes to camp in halfway decent shape this year. If they are going to spend to the cap and be competitive for his goal chase, I’d expect the same respect from the captain who was benched in a playoff sweep last year and didn’t look good.

I think it would be unreliable to make any judgements from the photo. Ovie is a physical freak of nature and makes most people standing next to him look diminutive. Besides, there is 3 months until training camp. He'll be fine. This is just a nothing burger of a story designed to get clicks during the offseason.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Remember when people made fun of Kessel for being chubby and eating hot dogs?

Worked out pretty well.

Also, some cell phones widen images in pictures, especially near the edges due to the wide lens used to get as much in the pic as possible.

Here's a recent pic from twitter, on vacation:

1718713756408.jpeg

Compared to:

1718713772353.jpeg

The shirtless pic looks more realistic to my eye. The lens could be adding a few imaginary inches to Ovie's left side, even a bit at the shoulder in the shirtless pic.

He doesn't look super fat in this pic, either. He's got dad bod padding and isn't ripped, that's all.

1718713965820.png

That said he could use some time on the bench press. C'mon, Ovie. Get those pects popping.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Remember when people made fun of Kessel for being chubby and eating hot dogs?

Worked out pretty well.

Also, some cell phones widen images in pictures, especially near the edges due to the wide lens used to get as much in the pic as possible.

Here's a recent pic from twitter, on vacation:

View attachment 883849

Compared to:

View attachment 883850

The shirtless pic looks more realistic to my eye. The lens could be adding a few imaginary inches to Ovie's left side, even a bit at the shoulder in the shirtless pic.

He doesn't look super fat in this pic, either. He's got dad bod padding and isn't ripped, that's all.

View attachment 883851

That said he could use some time on the bench press. C'mon, Ovie. Get those pects popping.
Russian machine is fine. His only crime is wearing those 80's swim trunks!

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
The video of him playing volleyball is the one that is most telling. He’s got 10-15 extra lbs, I’d say, on his torso.

His hand eye coordination is outstanding (gets to the spiked ball wicked fast….with his left hand as well? Maybe it’s just opposite of reality) as well, and his jumping ability is…..well…..it’s good he plays hockey.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The video of him playing volleyball is the one that is most telling. He’s got 10-15 extra lbs, I’d say, on his torso.

His hand eye coordination is outstanding (gets to the spiked ball wicked fast….with his left hand as well? Maybe it’s just opposite of reality) as well, and his jumping ability is…..well…..it’s good he plays hockey.

Ovi is a lefty in most things and has been a professional athlete in a sport that requires great hand-eye coordination for 20 years, that’s normal stuff for him.

The dad bod is clearly visible, but nothing says he couldn’t drop the extra 10-15 lbs by the time the seasons starts. Ovi treats the NHL like I treat my beer league, so it’s up to him to overcome his love of beer :D

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
If Ovy can start sorta fast — like 6-8 goals in first 12-15 games, then I think he can get *awfully* close this coming season.

I’m be pretty surprised if he wasn’t within single digits of 894 when the 82 games are over.

But we will see

Reactions: Calicaps

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Ovechkin's game isn't diminished much from the recent seasons when he scored 42 and even 50 goals.

Maybe he's no longer an 'automatic' 42 goal scorer, but the team is set to have better passing and effort than early last season, AO's hopefully going to be healthier, and seeing Gretzky's record more or less within a season's striking distance can make him more inspired/motivated than he has been for years.

Coincidentally, this is post #894.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
It will be interesting to see who center’s OV this year. It can be argued that McMichael and OV looked really good. I think you have to try PLD there as well. Personally (and against many here), I don’t want to see Strome there. I like Strome a lot and i think he can drive a strong second line.

Reactions: BallardEra

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2