Alexander Burmistrov "will almost certainly return to NHL"

Status
Not open for further replies.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
He could wear 96 instead. ;)

If Burmi returns to the Jets: great - we could definitely use him. If he returns, and is traded for other assets: also great - it means the 8th utilized for him by Atlanta didn't go to waste. The worst outcome would be for him to stay in the 'old mans league', and we end up seeing no benefit from that draft pick.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005

If Burmi returns to the Jets: great - we could definitely use him. If he returns, and is traded for other assets: also great - it means the 8th utilized for him by Atlanta didn't go to waste. The worst outcome would be for him to stay in the 'old mans league', and we end up seeing no benefit from that draft pick.

Completely agree, YWG. Like I always say, he was the 8th overall pick a just 12 months prior to Scheifele, and most view Scheifele in cautious form given just how young he is. Burmistrov isn't all that different regardless of the NHL games he has played. His quick road to the NHL wasn't the best for him in my opinion. We need to find a way to utilize or maximize this asset one way or another.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
It's hard to believe, but he is only 22 years old, only 17 months older than Scheifele, with his best years likely ahead of him.

Can anyone comment on his play last season in the K ?

edit: great minds, Guerzy...;)

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Completely agree, YWG. Like I always say, he was the 8th overall pick a just 12 months prior to Scheifele, and most view Scheifele in cautious form given just how young he is. Burmistrov isn't all that different regardless of the NHL games he has played. His quick road to the NHL wasn't the best for him in my opinion. We need to find a way to utilize or maximize this asset one way or another.

I think that because of the way he was treated by Noel he probably lost a lot of his offensive confidence and swagger.

As much as we hated to see him go, playing in the KHL might have been the best thing that could have happened to him. He's already a pretty defensively strong kid and if he can rebuild that offensive savvy he could be a very good 2 way centre for us. So good maybe we end up moving Little to the wing so he can score 30 goals for us again :laugh:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
It's hard to believe, but he is only 22 years old, only 17 months older than Scheifele, with his best years likely ahead of him.

I only watched the start of the season. I'm not a huge KHL fan like some.

I heard though post Olympics his team was in shambles and played pretty horribly. I noticed his pts/gp dipped severely at that same time.3

Ak-Barz fans worshiped him.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005

3870423-7600354178-tumbl.gif

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Agree completely. This is a pleasant surprise. I don't think it makes any real difference whether we get value by playing him or by trading. However it comes it will seem like a bonus now to get value for that pick.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I think that because of the way he was treated by Noel he probably lost a lot of his offensive confidence and swagger.

As much as we hated to see him go, playing in the KHL might have been the best thing that could have happened to him....

I heard though post Olympics his team was in shambles and played pretty horribly. I noticed his pts/gp dipped severely at that same time.3

I am not one to blame Noel for Burmi, but I do agree that his confidence, swagger, emotional state--call it what you wish--were major factors impacting his play and his decision-making. He was really just a kid in a strange and stressful land.

A mature and complete professional should not let off-ice shenanigans affect their play so much. Let's hope the years back home will help him strengthen his character as well as his game.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
McEichel/Barzal
Little
Scheifele
Burmi

And people complain about our C depth?:sarcasm:

Even this looks okay....

Little
Scheifele
Perreault
Burmi

If the Jets pick up a top-grade C in 2015, they'll be in good shape down the middle.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Even this looks okay....

Little
Scheifele
Perreault
Burmi

If the Jets pick up a top-grade C in 2015, they'll be in good shape down the middle.

Damn, I completely forgot about Perreault. Yep, and from what I hear, Barzal is supposed to have very high potential, and I don't think it's out of the question that we finish low enough to pick him.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
Agree completely. This is a pleasant surprise. I don't think it makes any real difference whether we get value by playing him or by trading. However it comes it will seem like a bonus now to get value for that pick.

I would say the value we get by keeping him significantly outweighs what we would likely receive in a trade

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Even this looks okay....

Little
Scheifele
Perreault
Burmi

Burmi looks good on the 4th, as long as he s not playing with Thorbs as a winger. Not sure if Burmi would be happy with 4th line mins though, likely wants to play on at least the third line.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Burmi looks good on the 4th, as long as he s not playing with Thorbs as a winger. Not sure if Burmi would be happy with 4th line mins though, likely wants to play on at least the third line.

You don't play a guy like burmi on the 4th. If that's how good your depth is you should probably try and swing a trade.

I really wish he was back this year, him on a line with Schiefe and Wheels would be awesome.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Let's just play what-ifs for a moment:

Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Kane-Scheifele-Burmistrov
Ehelers-Perreault-Frolik
(insert half-decent 4th line)
(insert a few decent 13/14th forwards)

Enstrom-Trouba
Morrissey-Byfuglien
Clit/Stu-Bogosian
Clit/Stu-Postma

Hutch
Not-Pavelec

Note: not really afraid of putting Bogo on third pair due to injuries and special teams, he'll get enough TOI.

C depth doesn't mean playing on 4th line. Lots of teams have large C depth by having C playing in top 9 wing positions.

Makes it flexible for injuries.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Let's just play what-ifs for a moment:

Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Kane-Scheifele-Burmistrov
Ehelers-Perreault-Frolik
(insert half-decent 4th line)
(insert a few decent 13/14th forwards)

Enstrom-Trouba
Morrissey-Byfuglien
Clit/Stu-Bogosian
Clit/Stu-Postma

Hutch
Not-Pavelec

Note: not really afraid of putting Bogo on third pair due to injuries and special teams, he'll get enough TOI.

C depth doesn't mean playing on 4th line. Lots of teams have large C depth by having C playing in top 9 wing positions.

Makes it flexible for injuries.

How much better does that line-up look than the 2011/12 line-up?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I would say the value we get by keeping him significantly outweighs what we would likely receive in a trade

As it stands now yes. He is still a maybe. If he is actually back his value should be higher. Even then you are probably right. I dont know how he would best fit back into the lineup now that we have 3 legit Cs. maybe Little goes to Rw?

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
As it stands now yes. He is still a maybe. If he is actually back his value should be higher. Even then you are probably right. I dont know how he would best fit back into the lineup now that we have 3 legit Cs. maybe Little goes to Rw?

I'd have Burmi play wing - lose too much having Little move imo

plus having multiple C/W that can play either gives some nice flexability

Master Scheif

dirt nasty
Jun 7, 2014
Winnipeg
I'd have Burmi play wing - lose too much having Little move imo

plus having multiple C/W that can play either gives some nice flexability

I agree. I think separating Ladd and Little isn't a good idea. Unless their chemistry goes away somehow, we should keep them together (in the same positions).

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Very good news. IF he comes back to Winnipeg he would be the perfect 3rd line center IMO. If not, I imagine we could pick up something with his rights that will help us.

I would prefer him playing in Winnipeg though obviously. I think he will excel in a bottom 6 role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad