Value of: Alex Turcotte

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Next season will be the time to have this conversation, as he will almost be assuredly claimed if he were waived.

Waiver exemption this year buys LA some time to hopefully have him get a healthy season in, and assess what they have in him.

What he does this season matters a lot in terms of if he would get claimed on waivers or not. He's on the Lias Andersson track bud.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Kings will be willing to trade him only @ trade deadline.
1- he will play and prove he can stay healthy and upgrade his value
2- Kings will maybe add a top players to be a cup contender but it depend where they will be in standing at this time
If he can stay healthy and produce then the King's won't want to trade him. There are prospects out there that need a change of scenery. This isn't the case. His value to the King's is higher than a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
…who was traded for a 2nd round pick due to fear of a waiver claim.

Thanks for reinforcing my point further.

Pal.

Doesn't mean everyone like them will get a 2nd offered. It doesn't work that way. It's like some Habs fans saying because Chiarot got a 1st, Edmundson should get one too. False!

Looks like your a bit sensitive to how he could possibly disappoint more. Not saying he will but it's not a good track no matter how you spin it.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Doesn't mean everyone like them will get a 2nd offered. It doesn't work that way. It's like some Habs fans saying because Chiarot got a 1st, Edmundson should get one too. False!

Looks like your a bit sensitive to how he could possibly disappoint more. Not saying he will but it's not a good track no matter how you spin it.
Have a wonderful day in Habs-Land.

Chief.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Former 5th OA pick. Unfortunately had multiple concussions and LBI’s and hasn’t played more than 32 games in a season since being drafted.

Decent AHL numbers, 0 points in the 12 games he’s played in the NHL.

Would love the Canucks to grab him as a buy low option. Not sure what the sentiment is with Kings fans as it stands. Is he an expendable piece considering Dubois/Byfield/Kopitar are likely the centers moving forward?
He doesn’t need to pass thru waivers so LA has no reason to dump him. Unless some team overpays. No reason Vancouver or anyone should do that. His value will decline significantly once he’s waiver eligible. So wait.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Something told me when I saw his dad picking his nose on camera during the draft that this kid was gonna be an issue.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230908-142319~2.png
    Screenshot_20230908-142319~2.png
    944.1 KB · Views: 15

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
No reason to move him until waiver exempt runs out and his value is basically nothing at this point.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I'd say that ship has sailed.

Are the really lowball? What is a mediocre. oft injured, AHL'er worth?
He is only 22 years old.

How would it be if your career potential was judged and capped when you were 22, or the same for anyone?

Step one is a healthy season and if he makes that other steps will follow.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Former 5th OA pick. Unfortunately had multiple concussions and LBI’s and hasn’t played more than 32 games in a season since being drafted.

Decent AHL numbers, 0 points in the 12 games he’s played in the NHL.

Would love the Canucks to grab him as a buy low option. Not sure what the sentiment is with Kings fans as it stands. Is he an expendable piece considering Dubois/Byfield/Kopitar are likely the centers moving forward?
Every so often, a player comes around who is basically “capped out” before he plays a professional game. Unfortunately it looks like this might be the case with Alex Turcotte..

99.9% of players have room to grow in a hockey sense, and in a physical sense. From knowledge, to training techniques, to different aspects of their game growing, etc, etc. Then there’s that ONE kid, who at any given moment, from the ages of 10 through 18, he’s filled the tank already. He knows almost everything imaginable, trained in almost every way possible, has the best shot he’s going to have, his stride is the best it’s ever going to be, etc, etc.

The family has done a lot of good for a lot of great players, for decades now.. If there was a way to train, they’d get it out of a player.

Alex had the best of that world. No doubt about it. There wasn’t “a way to get better” he likely didn’t take advantage of, or was put through.

When you played against teams or individuals who trained with them, you knew they’d be prepared in every way. I can personally attest to the extent his grandfather, uncle and extended family let’s say, prepared players.

It sure looks like that’s the case with Alex.. As his body stopped growing, there wasn’t much more to grow from a technical standpoint. Unfortunately, he’s the rare case of, already being the best he was going to be, the day he was drafted. Others have just kept passing him up now, as they’ve received more and more professional training, and had big growth spurts.

It sucks but it looks to be the case with Alex. He’s likely going to have to bear down and commit himself to being a really good bottom six player and create a nice career for himself in that role.

Reactions: Herby and habsterr

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He will be the Kings Thomas Hickey of this generation

Bust top end pick.

Byfield looks to be putting it together though and Clarke is promising, so they could have a Kopitar-Doughty type form again with high picks (2nd and 8th vs 2nd and 10th for the OG duo)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
He is only 22 years old.

How would it be if your career potential was judged and capped when you were 22, or the same for anyone?

Step one is a healthy season and if he makes that other steps will follow.
He has never had a healthy season. Insanity is believing there is much of a chance of him having one.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Next summer Turcotte might have a bit of value just before he loses waiver exemption. Most likely he plays in Europe though.
Yeah, he’s gonna have to show something to hold any real value. I’m glad the avs were able to get Bryan. I’d be pulling my hair out right now if we had gotten turcotte

Reactions: Fatass

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Honestly, if he was healthy, he clearly has NHL talent. You don't have to watch him long to know that he can drive a line and control play. He just can't stay healthy to save his life. The Kings are probably open to throwing him in to sweeten a trade, but it wouldn't be for futures or a late pick. At that point, they might as well see if he turns things around.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
The Hawks moved up to 3rd in the draft and Lefreniere and Kakko were going #1/#2 so the Hawks had the pick of the rest. Hawks blog posters were arguing between Turcotte and Byram. I flip flopped so many times I don't remember who I wanted on the day of the draft ... and then the Hawks took Dach, which was probably the right pick if you take Zegres out of consideration.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Adjusting to the pro game is difficult. You're now facing the best men in the world and many of them have size/skating. Hockey IQ to overcome it is a huge part of development. Some have it, most don't. He also doesn't have the size/skating as a strength so when he's in scrums or time/space is reduced, he gets smothered. You see this very often actually and you hear a lot of comments from young players about their reduced time/space. When you have it in development leagues, you can stand out and produce. When it's reduced, it's a shock to the system for many players.

Fans don't usually consider the huge hurdle of turning pro when projecting prospects potential. The real evaluation is when they turn pro IMO. Any predictions prior to that is very subjective and guess work. If you go back and look at all drafts, there are always top 10 disappointments. Great shot at adding serious talent but by no means it's a guarantee.

It's not over yet for him but his time to shine is closing fast. Heading into his age 22/23 season and he has hard time producing the numbers you would expect in the AHL.
Absolutely, Marco Rossi had a hell of a tough time in the AHL, nvm the NHL. He's smart, and skilled, but dealing with the speed, strength and seriousness of the pros was hard for him. He also had to deal with Covid related Myocarditis, which basically wiped out one season, but at least that appears to be in the rear view mirror, while Turcotte has had a whole array of injury problems which have prevented him from developing, or playing freely when he does play.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs Halifax

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
I'd say that ship has sailed.

Are the really lowball? What is a mediocre. oft injured, AHL'er worth?
Some people think every prospect is going to be the next big thing especially if they were 1st rounders or high 1sts. They don’t realize most prospects bust and it’s better to sell while they have some value vs hold until there’s none left.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
as there is still a poster out there, who thinks he will end up better than jack hughes, his value must be immense.

• Haha
Reactions: Herby and MXD

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
no reason to move him now. may as well wait until deadline to see how he progresses. i dont think he has much value even as a former #5 pick.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Some people think every prospect is going to be the next big thing especially if they were 1st rounders or high 1sts. They don’t realize most prospects bust and it’s better to sell while they have some value vs hold until there’s none left.

Most people realize that.

I would much rather gamble on the potential upside of Turcotte vs. that of some random 3rd round pick is all.

He has more value to the Kings than he does on the open market, it's not some metacommentary on thinking all prospects pan out. If anything, your post is ironic because it suggests gambling on a mid round pick is somehow better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad