Value of: Alex Ovechkin (ducks and covers)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
This thread also appears to assume the Caps are done adding. I’m not entirely sure that’s valid. Kuznetsov or Mantha could still be traded. There are still plenty of players looking for a change of scenery. Lots will change between now and Opening Day.

Lou Sassole

Oct 15, 2020
This thread also appears to assume the Caps are done adding. I’m not entirely sure that’s valid. Kuznetsov or Mantha could still be traded. There are still plenty of players looking for a change of scenery. Lots will change between now and Opening Day.
Exactly, and depending on what happens with Backstrom, we could have cap flexibility and options. OP is ridiculous, possibly a trainable.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Okay hear me out.....

Assuming the Capitals do what I expect them to do (fall on their faces) with the current roster next year......I highly doubt Ovie wants to lose his way to the record and if he does, it will be pretty embarrassing and less legendary/epic.

Sure the Capitals will never trade him on their own accord, but looking at next years squad (so far ) it is not hard to imagine Ovie asking to be traded. I predict a severe losing streak next season if changes are not made . This scenario would occur after the season starts.

After today's signings, last years Capitals roster was better and it was still VERY far from enough. GMBM is in over his head and the signings today are symbolic of failure at an attempt to tread water before drowning.

I'd rather see Ovie leave DC, get on a competitive team and break the record while chasing the cup.

Ovechkin deserves a better team around him, not this pathetic, broken, aged Frankenstein GMBM has a vision of and put together.

I know if I were Ovie looking at the Caps roster right now, I at least start the conversation with myself, since Ovie is his own agent.

Wouldn’t it be cool if OvI broke the all time goal scoring record wearing a Sesttle Kraken jersey?

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
It is not as much about not breaking the record....does he want it to be like this? On a team that will be losing and not competitive? He was promised the team would remain competitive and that promise was broken. He is likely unhappy about whatever is up with Kuzy and Orlov leaving.

I would not discount the possibility of this happening after the season starts.
He's won the cup, been paid and has done everything there is to do. I'm sure he is perfectly fine riding out the end in a comfortable situation where his boys get to see him play a little while making really good money. I'm sure he would like to win but as long as the caps don't become the coyotes he will be fine. He may not even care that much about the goal record. It's just something he has to do because of media, fans and maybe for his family.

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
This would only hold some weight if the caps/ovi hadn’t won a cup already, and thank god they did. I don’t think he’d ever leave regardless but that classic “veteran chasing cup on contender” narrative doesnt apply to him

Reactions: orby

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
If he does.

He’s going to waltz past the record. He’s 72 goals out and scored 42 this season.

He could massively fall off and still probably break it on this contract, and even if he doesn’t, they’ll sign him to league min to play 5 minutes a night on the PP.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I'd bet dollars to donuts one of Crosby or Ovi has an odd year or two on another team before they retire.

Just Like St. Louis Blues legend Martin Brodeur and Captials legend Henrik Lunquvist.
Big difference between a goalie (2 roster spots) and a forward (12+ roster spots)

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Eh, if there is a contender our there that needs someone who can finish and they have cap space, Ovie could be an attractive fit.

But yeah the Caps aren't going to do it unless Ovie forces a trade. I don't think that's 100% out of the question. Ovie doesn't like losing and before he signed his last deal he was trying to make sure the Caps would remain competitive.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
He will get a lot more chances to break the record on a losing team playing just for that than on a contender limiting his ice time, and he only won once in his entire career hes used to losing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad