Confirmed with Link: Alex Edler to Sign One-Day Contract and Retire a Canuck | Oct. 11th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
in his prime he was a legit. No.2 Top pairing guy
He had those four early years that were at like a 40 point pace... would have been a longer peak but the 2012-2013 saw him play only half the year... but even years after that he was good for 30 plus points, he made good reads 5on5 and brought physicality.
Awesome player.

will D-Petey develop into something like a mini-Edler? only if we're lucky.
Edler was a better player in some of those 30 point seasons than he was in those 40 point ones, IMO. I'd consider that his peak. I was shocked that he became so air-tight defensively.

Reactions: LaVal and racerjoe

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Just think this is a slam dunk ring of honour player given the other D who are up in there. But the fact that half his career was played throughout the Jim Benning era + Torts year clouds the judgement.

Reactions: Vector

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Edler was a better player in some of those 30 point seasons than he was in those 40 point ones, IMO. I'd consider that his peak. I was shocked that he became so air-tight defensively.

Yeah, it's still weird to me that people consider 2012 Edler when he was iffy defensively but picked up lots of Sedin-influenced PP points to be his 'prime' rather than the post-injury Edler who became a very, very solid defensive player. Unfortunately those years were wasted because Benning.

Reactions: timw33 and Vector

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Best shutdown pairing in the NHL wasted on the worst team in the NHL. It was crazy.

Edler rebounding from what you accurately defined as a guy who could clear waivers to start 2014-15 to doing a complete turnaround as a #1 defenseman when he found chemistry with Tanev was crazy

my memory is foggy but i'm sure you'll remember this - was it just Tanev that made him go from sulky prime-depression Naslund vibes to stepping up as a real team leader and being the best player on the team in the late/early post Sedin years? he hated Torts, didn't thrive in the first year under Willie (the Sbieksa year), but took off after that... ?

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
With all of our injuries maybe he should just kind of hang around the rink afterwards for a bit, see if he is needed?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad