Aleksander Barkov now vs Jonathan Toews prime?

Aleksander Barkov now vs Jonathan Toews prime?

• Aleksander Barkov now

Votes: 157 52.2%
  • Jonathan Toews prime

Votes: 125 41.5%
  • Even

Votes: 16 5.3%
  • Can't decide

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
He’s grossly out of place, but I’ll still take the one sitting at the table with Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, and Crosby.

Reactions: Voight

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Dude was voted the best forward at the Olympics and best player in the NHL playoffs in the same year.

Thats the definition of best of the best :laugh:

Sure, he was excellent in those playoffs (well except the final series where he was quite bad)

He then would only score 70 points once over the next 8 seasons, never win a Hart (or be a finalist even)

Yet the media selected him as the guy to go up against Crosby? Definitely square peg in a round hole

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Sure, he was excellent in those playoffs (well except the final series where he was quite bad)

He then would only score 70 points once over the next 8 seasons, never win a Hart (or be a finalist even)

Yet the media selected him as the guy to go up against Crosby? Definitely square peg in a round hole

I don't think anyone was saying Toews had the offensive skill of Crosby.
Toews was the king of matchup centers.

Toews and Crosby went head to head about a dozen times in the regular season (sadly never in the Finals) and it was Toews who came out on top by a significant margin. Of course linemates help but in his prime I'd put Toews up against anybody in a matchup role.

Head to Head vs Crosby:

15 games
Toews 5g 9a (+12)
Crosby 4g 5a (-12)

Blackhawks 12-2-1
Penguins 3-9-3

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
I don't think anyone was saying Toews had the offensive skill of Crosby.
Toews was the king of matchup centers.

Toews and Crosby went head to head about a dozen times in the regular season (sadly never in the Finals) and it was Toews who came out on top by a significant margin. Of course linemates help but in his prime I'd put Toews up against anybody in a matchup role.

Head to Head vs Crosby:

15 games
Toews 5g 9a (+12)
Crosby 4g 5a (-12)

Blackhawks 12-2-1
Penguins 3-9-3

Yes, nobody said Toews had the offensive ability of Crosby.

And yes Toews was better in his own end than Crosby...but he also wasn't as good as guys like Datsyuk, Bergeron or Kopitar and you would never hear anyone ask if those players are the best in the world.

Crow

May 19, 2014

And yes Toews was better in his own end than Crosby...but he also wasn't as good as guys like Datsyuk, Bergeron or Kopitar and you would never hear anyone ask if those players are the best in the world.
What are you basing this opinion on? I think in his prime he was as good a two way player as any of those. Those guys had better longevity. That’s it.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

Datsyuk is the only one of the guys you mentioned who had a higher peak on-ice impact than Toews, and he did years before Toews even entered the league.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2