Confirmed with Link: Ads on jerseys coming in 22/23 season

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
One negative I see is that it snowballs into having the ice being almost covered by ads which IMO becomes dangerous because the puck is much harder to track by players/goalies. I want the ice to stay relatively clear. I don't have a problem with a few ads on the ice like it is currently but more than that and I start to draw the line.

I highly doubt it ever comes to that, but if it does I'm sure the players will have some say over it to ensure the puck can be seen safely and what not.

I wouldn't have any issues with it.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I just realized this was being implemented in 2022-23. I thought it was starting next year.

I feel like the NHL tricked me to make it easier to accept a year from now. :laugh:

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Don't even care about the ads honestly. A professional league that pays players millions of dollars to play a game, that had a huge chunk of their revenue suddenly cut seeking financial help for nothing more than a small patch on the jersey isn't an issue in my mind. I stopped noticing the helmet ads pretty quickly into the season.

Call me when they start having players read advertisements to the crowd during ice scrapes. "A quick shoutout to one of our sponsors, RAID Shadow Legends. If you join now and use the code "NateDogg", you'll receive 200 silver tokens immediately and can even join my guild and play with me, Nathan MacKinnon."

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Don't even care about the ads honestly. A professional league that pays players millions of dollars to play a game, that had a huge chunk of their revenue suddenly cut seeking financial help for nothing more than a small patch on the jersey isn't an issue in my mind. I stopped noticing the helmet ads pretty quickly into the season.

Call me when they start having players read advertisements to the crowd during ice scrapes. "A quick shoutout to one of our sponsors, RAID Shadow Legends. If you join now and use the code "NateDogg", you'll receive 200 silver tokens immediately and can even join my guild and play with me, Nathan MacKinnon."

Yeah, I mean personally it doesn't bother me that much. Certainly not going to lose sleep over it, however the commercialization of every aspect of life is annoying/sad.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Any additional revenue streams to the league are nothing but a positive to me.

Why? Are you a player? An agent? An owner?

If not this brings you absolutely nothing other than an eye sore. Ticket prices won't go down, it won't bring better players to the league...there's literally zero upside to it as a fan.

People who already make a ton of money make more money by showing you ads. That's what it is.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado

If not this brings you absolutely nothing other than an eye sore. Ticket prices won't go down, it won't bring better players to the league...there's literally zero upside to it as a fan.

People who already make a ton of money make more money by showing you ads. That's what it is.
More league revenue could (this remains to be seen) result in a raise in the salary cap which allows teams like the Avs to stay competitive for longer by being able to afford a MacKinnon monster contract + the pieces around him.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Edit: Delete, not even worth a response

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
More league revenue could (this remains to be seen) result in a raise in the salary cap which allows teams like the Avs to stay competitive for longer by being able to afford a MacKinnon monster contract + the pieces around him.

In reality the salary cap could be 30 million and we'd see virtually the same product on the ice as long as there's isn't a league that pays more money elsewhere (and there wouldn't be).

These people are in business, so I'm not against them wanting to make more money...in this case it's just not a good thing for fans (but not the end of the world either).

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Damn, I'm mad I missed it. It must have been so well though, enlightening and skillfully explained how the fans benefit from watching ads on players' jerseys.

I'm sorry, where have I ever said the fans benefit from the ads on players jerseys?

There you go, spewing bullshit again.

EDIT: You've goated me into it so here goes. Personally, I dont give a shit what is on the jerseys, ice, etc. regarding adds. Whatever creates more revenue for the league, allowing them to recuperate the losses associated with two shortened seasons and 2 years with limited or no fans, is a good thing to me.

No, it doesn't directly benefit me or the "Fans" in any direct way. But the league having more money and more revenue is a good thing for the league. Simple as that. It means an increase in cap, which right now would mean more money for the Avs to spend trying to win a Stanley Cup. That would certainly be a benefit to me. It also means more money the league and individual teams can spend on improving the product they present to us.

If adding a small jersey patch of some random sponsor can result in the quality of the product I watch improving, I really dont give a shit about it. Especially as someone who really does not care one bit what the Jerseys look like, or the ice looks like.

Now if it becomes problem in that the ads are intrusive on the ice and actually make it hard to see the puck or see the game playing out, then yeah I'd have an issue with that. But I dont see that ever happening. A single ad on a Jersey will not be intrusive. So I'm completely fine with it.

Last edited:

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'm sorry, where have I ever said the fans benefit from the ads on players jerseys?

EDIT: You've goated me into it so here goes. Personally, I dont give a shit what is on the jerseys, ice, etc. regarding adds. Whatever creates more revenue for the league, allowing them to recuperate the losses associated with two shortened seasons and 2 years with limited or no fans, is a good thing to me.

No, it doesn't directly benefit me or the "Fans" in any direct way. But the league having more money and more revenue is a good thing for the league. Simple as that. It means an increase in cap, which right now would mean more money for the Avs to spend trying to win a Stanley Cup. That would certainly be a benefit to me. It also means more money the league and individual teams can spend on improving the product they present to us.

If adding a small jersey patch of some random sponsor can result in the quality of the product I watch improving, I really dont give a shit about it. Especially as someone who really does not care one bit what the Jerseys look like, or the ice looks like.

Now if it becomes problem in that the ads are intrusive on the ice and actually make it hard to see the puck or see the game playing out, then yeah I'd have an issue with that. But I dont see that ever happening. A single ad on a Jersey will not be intrusive. So I'm completely fine with it.

Well that was a bit better than expected so there's that.

FYI Bill Daly said last week that the added sponsorship money from the jersey ads is something extra and will help but it isn't a significant source of revenue. It probably won't have a very noticeable impact on the cap, if any impact at all.

Regardless, I don't care about those ads all that much. Case closed as far as I'm concerned.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver

If it adds more money for all teams how does it help fans?

I don’t care if Mack is paid $12 or $13m. It’s still way too much money. The salary cap is the same for all teams, it’s not like the Avs getting $5m from Ball corp is gonna allow them to sign more players than the next team.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
If it adds more money for all teams how does it help fans?

I don’t care if Mack is paid $12 or $13m. It’s still way too much money. The salary cap is the same for all teams, it’s not like the Avs getting $5m from Ball corp is gonna allow them to sign more players than the next team.
Because the actual amount of the cap varies on a year-to-year basis, and is calculated as a percentage of the League's revenue from the previous season. So if the league gets more revenue the cap rises.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
Because the actual amount of the cap varies on a year-to-year basis, and is calculated as a percentage of the League's revenue from the previous season. So if the league gets more revenue the cap rises.
I get that. But it goes up for Vegas and Tampa too. It’s the same for all teams.

all this does is add more money to wallets, it doesn’t impact the Avs chances at winning a cup

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
I get that. But it goes up for Vegas and Tampa too. It’s the same for all teams.

all this does is add more money to wallets, it doesn’t impact the Avs chances at winning a cup
I disagree. It allows you to afford more complimentary pieces around your stars. $1mill extra would have been big this off-season. It's not about paying Mack an extra couple of mill, it's about affording more depth as a proportion of the cap.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
I disagree. It allows you to afford more complimentary pieces around your stars. $1mill extra would have been big this off-season. It's not about paying Mack an extra couple of mill, it's about affording more depth as a proportion of the cap.

You are missing my point. It goes up for all. It won’t impact just Colorado. Everyone else could afford that extra depth too.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
WTF are you talking about? Even if the cap was 25M it wouldn't change anything for you. The "complimentary pieces" would make 1.5M/year instead of 4M.

Players would be less rich but the product wouldn't be affected.

Reactions: CharlesPuck

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Yeah, I mean personally it doesn't bother me that much. Certainly not going to lose sleep over it, however the commercialization of every aspect of life is annoying/sad.
This! I'm just tired of being a product. Feels like everywhere I go, no matter what I do, someone is trying to sell me (my data, my info) or sell me stuff (pervasive advertising).

It's one of the reasons I still enjoying gaming. It's one thing I can do, depending on the title, where I can spend hours and not ever see a single ad. Just bought the mass effect legendary edition on steam and am having a blast. I never played the 2nd or 3rd before. But yeah, 100% agree with this entire post but that bolded part hit a nerve bigtime.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
This! I'm just tired of being a product. Feels like everywhere I go, no matter what I do, someone is trying to sell me (my data, my info) or sell me stuff (pervasive advertising).

It's one of the reasons I still enjoying gaming. It's one thing I can do, depending on the title, where I can spend hours and not ever see a single ad. Just bought the mass effect legendary edition on steam and am having a blast. I never played the 2nd or 3rd before. But yeah, 100% agree with this entire post but that bolded part hit a nerve bigtime.
Clearly you don't play sports games and whatnot.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
WTF are you talking about? Even if the cap was 25M it wouldn't change anything for you. The "complimentary pieces" would make 1.5M/year instead of 4M.

Exactly

The only thing this helps is the wallets of the players and owners. Nobody else, especially not the fans.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado

Aggressive much?

Sure if you quartered the cap overnight those additional players cost a quarter of what they get now. But over time adding a few mill here or there doesn't magically make all the existing contracts inflate in price. We sign MacKinnon for 13mill and then the cap goes up 2mill guess what? We have 2 extra mill to spend.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Clearly you don't play sports games and whatnot.
I did say "depending upon title". And no, I quite playing sports games when I switched back to the PCMR in the late 00's. I think NHL Hits Pro (the one with one of the Red Wings on the cover...might've been Nick Lidstrom) was the last NHL game I really played and enjoyed the heck out of. I always thought EA was trying to be to realistic and always appreciated the games with a bit more of a ragdoll physics to the system. Now I play mostly DayZ but also a fair amount of RPGs, MMOs and other shooters/survival games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad