Confirmed with Link: Ads on jerseys coming in 22/23 season

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
That is the subconscious part of advertising. You may not make an active choice based on those commercials but they enter your thinking and decision making process.

Also those word of mouth, videos, specs, had to find out about the product in the first place.
Yeah I guess that's true. But outside of the essentials the last product I bought for myself was a Garmin watch over a year ago, I'm very strict with my money :laugh:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I might be weird, strike that....I am weird, but anyways I actually go out of my way to make sure clothes that I buy do not have any logos on them. I won't even wear polo shirts that have a polo-horse and player on them. I prefer not to purchase a product I need, only to become a walking billboard for some company.

Disclaimer....My blue jeans and sneakers have have logos. Most every pair of blue jeans has a tag of some kind identifying it as Levi's, Wranglers, Rustlers, whatever and the same goes for sneakers....Nike swoosh, Adidas stripes, etc... Outside of those two items I've largely been able to make it work. Also, T-Shirts...Most of mine are just a solid color but sometimes I like to buy a Colorado Avalanche Stanley Cup Champion T-Shirt and I break my own rule willingly. This also goes for Big Johnson T-shirts. I can't believe those didn't make a comeback with Eric and Jack both on our team last season.

Reactions: katfude

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
I mean it definitely has an effect, it just rattles my brain with how effective it is when I see 100M+ advertising deals. But when I choose to buy something 99% of the time I'm relying on word of mouth, comparison videos, looking at the specs, personal preferences, price.. Not the fact that it's endorsed by an athlete or that quirky 30 second commercial I saw last week.

I find the times a commercial actually has an effect on me are when they are well written and funny versus any other ethos. I'm like, "that was good, maybe I should give them a shot as a means of a pat on the back". However, it can also have the inverse affect. I will never be a client of Liberty Mutual. Those commercials are so f***ing awful I will never use their product because of it. So cringe.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I might be weird, strike that....I am weird, but anyways I actually go out of my way to make sure clothes that I buy do not have any logos on them. I won't even wear polo shirts that have a polo-horse and player on them. I prefer not to purchase a product I need, only to become a walking billboard for some company.

Disclaimer....My blue jeans and sneakers have have logos. Most every pair of blue jeans has a tag of some kind identifying it as Levi's, Wranglers, Rustlers, whatever and the same goes for sneakers....Nike swoosh, Adidas stripes, etc... Outside of those two items I've largely been able to make it work. Also, T-Shirts...Most of mine are just a solid color but sometimes I like to buy a Colorado Avalanche Stanley Cup Champion T-Shirt and I break my own rule willingly. This also goes for Big Johnson T-shirts. I can't believe those didn't make a comeback with Eric and Jack both on our team last season.
Same. If a shirt or anything I'll be wearing has big, noticeable branding it's an instant no. Although I'm definitely more of a minimalistic guy when it comes to fashion :laugh:

I find the times a commercial actually has an effect on me are when they are well written and funny versus any other ethos. I'm like, "that was good, maybe I should give them a shot as a means of a pat on the back". However, it can also have the inverse affect. I will never be a client of Liberty Mutual. Those commercials are so f***ing awful I will never use their product because of it. So cringe.
Brodeur's Enterprise Rental commercials single handedly stopped me from ever using that company.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
I'll go out of my way to avoid any establishment that advertises via some dancing fool with a sign outside said establishment lol. Annoying commercial = I'll never buy your shit.
That being said, I've gotten used to ads on jerseys since the early 2000's when I purchased minor league hockey season tix lol

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I remember when the boards were white and unadorned with any advertising..

Also when Jim MacMahon defied Commish Pete Rozelle by wearing a Nike branded head band.

My my, how times have changed.

Last year.... helmets. This year sweaters. Next year, breezers. Sorry, I think ads on hockey players uni's and gear are just pathetic and the epitome of greedy classlessness. I won't be buying any of their merchandise any longer.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I bought a brand new car last year and specifically asked to not have a dealer sticker on it.

I'm paying full price for that car, why the f*** would I advertise their business??

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I avoid any clothing like Tommy Hilfiger and Abercrombie and Fitch not necessarily because they emblazon the brand name across their material, but because I just find it tacky. It's just not me, but making brand names highly commercial like that works for a ton of brands. People enjoy adorning themselves with labels, it's capitalist pop culture.

TBH, me wearing their brands in public would likely result in a sharp decline in their sales.

I'll freely admit one of my favorite t-shirts I wear is an old beat-up gray number with the Atari logo on the front. Totally commercial but who cares, the logo is iconic and I loved those games when I was a kid.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I mean it definitely has an effect, it just rattles my brain with how effective it is when I see 100M+ advertising deals. But when I choose to buy something 99% of the time I'm relying on word of mouth, comparison videos, looking at the specs, personal preferences, price.. Not the fact that it's endorsed by an athlete or that quirky 30 second commercial I saw last week.
Most of human behaviours and decisions are formed in the subconscious mind. This was already understood a hundred years ago when Edward Bernays (Freuds nephew) wrote books on propaganda. Mind sciences are very well understood by media moguls, and they certainly do take advantage of that knowledge to the fullest extent, usually to the detriment of mankind unfortunately.

Ceremony

How I choose to feel is how I am
Jun 8, 2012
1662741480980.png

The big patches really make these look a lot less awful than just stitching the logo straight on to the jersey

Reactions: Refalanche

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The beautiful thing about those patches is that one day the NHL is going to learn about velcro and then the players will be able to switch the ads during intermissions.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
One thing that just makes sense is that the Wild went with a really weird ugly one, to go with their bad brand.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
It's interesting another KSE team is seen as lame and unappealing because they DONT have an ad on their jersey.

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
Have they announced what shitty gambling site bought the ad space on the Avs jersey yet?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad