Value of: Adrian Kempe

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
What's the value of Adrian Kempe right now? Kempe has 10 goals and 18 points so far this year (a 26-goal pace) after scoring 35 last year. He just turned 26 and has three years remaining at $5.5 million. With the signing of Fiala and the emergence of Kaliyev and Vilardi, Kempe has the highest value-to-expendablility ratio on the team I think.

Kings are looking for a left-handed defenseman and would be willing to include one of their right-handed defenders along with Kempe to make it happen. One of Durzi, Roy, or Walker would be preferable.

Thoughts?

Trading a cost control 30 goal winger away and keep the actual 35 year old anchor of the line.
This makes total sense.

If anyone has to go, it's Arvidson or Iafallo

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Now... might I interest the fine folks in LA in a guy by the name of Ben Chiarot?
The fine folks in L.A. would be delighted to add Chiarot.
The only problem is that we could only offer 3 players as available

You can chose between Kopitar, Doughty or Arvidson

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
Trading a cost control 30 goal winger away and keep the actual 35 year old anchor of the line.
This makes total sense.

Kempe is a one time 30 goal scorer he's been garbage every other year arvidsson is 3rd on the team in points lol

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Well one things for certain, he has more value than Boeser does. Why do I bring that up, maybe look back at the Kempe extension thread.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Kempe is a one time 30 goal scorer he's been garbage every other year arvidsson is 3rd on the team in points lol

Coming off a 35 goal season still on pace for 26 is garbage? A single multi goal game puts in him in the 30 goal pace. Who cares what his production was years ago, he only recently turned 26.

Arvidsson is about to turn 30 and he’s had some serious injuries already. You really would keep him over Kempe? I’m not even one advocating trading Arvidsson but man I’d keep Kempe before him moving forward without a second thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: go4hockey

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
This makes total sense.

Sure, but that cost-controlled 30-goal winger has more value and is much easier to trade than the 35-year-old "anchor" (who is scoring at a 70-point pace). If Kempe and one of Roy or Durzi can get us a first-pairing left-shot defenseman, it's something we should consider.

I'm not opposed to trading Kopitar or Doughty at this point, I just can't think of anyone able to take on a $10+ million contract without sending back some actual garbage.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
Coming off a 35 goal season still on pace for 26 is garbage? A single multi goal game puts in him in the 30 goal pace.

Arvidsson is about to turn 30 and he’s had some serious injuries already. You really would keep him over Kempe?

He's on pace for 26 goals in what has been widely considered a relatively disappointing season for him thus far too. Fiala took his spot on the top line and he's not being deployed (nor is he playing) as effectively as he was last season.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
He's on pace for 26 goals in what has been widely considered a relatively disappointing season for him thus far too. Fiala took his spot on the top line and he's not being deployed (nor is he playing) as effectively as he was last season.

Less opportunity yet still could end up quiet realistically a 30 goal scorer. Not sure how that’s counts as a disappointment but we can agree to not agree I suppose.

I see a guy entering his prime with a great one timer, great wrist shot and he’s money when he gains a single step on the oppositions D.

End of day I could care less if LA trades him unless you send him to Edmonton then I would certainly be appreciative.

Last edited:
Reactions: go4hockey

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
The fine folks in L.A. would be delighted to add Chiarot.
The only problem is that we could only offer 3 players as available

You can chose between Kopitar, Doughty or Arvidson
The only reason I'd hesitate for even a second before dibs'ing Anze is because I'd feel bad that he wouldn't retire as a King lifer.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
This makes total sense.

because we are trading from a position of strength for a position of need. We can sub out Arvidsson for Kempe if the trade value still works.

Our top 9 wingers without Kempe/Arvidsson

Fiala - Kaliyev
Moore - Arvidsson (Kempe)
Iafallo - Vilardi

We have to start looking at spots for Fagemo, Turcotte, Kupari, Chromiak in the next year to two if everything goes well. Stop pretending the Kings are going to trade Kopitar or Doughty as it is not an option. Even if he is slowing down Kopitar is still taking all the hard minutes and on pace for his usual 70 plus points.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
The "garbage" goal output from Kempe has not been reached by Arvidson since 2018 and Arvidson is turning 30.
Also Kempe is on 26 goal pace showing absolutely no effort or skill.

Reactions: YP44

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
The "garbage" goal output from Kempe has not been reached by Arvidson since 2018 and Arvidson is turning 30.
Also Kempe is on 26 goal pace showing absolutely no effort or skill.
Kempe also is very fast while staying on his skate. Arvidsson has become our Dustin Brown replacement when it comes to falling down with no/minimal contact.

edit: Felt the need to stay I am in no way saying Arvidsson or Brown dove. Just they were/are not the most steady on their skates.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Things Kempe does:

your typically inconsistent 25-35 goal, 45-60 point scorer
Fast as hell
A little spicy
Excellent at zone entries, particularly on the power play (think Scott Gomez (no, the good version))
Excellent transporting the puck through the neutral zone
Good in puck protection
Always had a good shot, became a GREAT shot with work on his release
Takes shifts off
Worst line change timing in the NHL
Offensive zone penalty machine, typically aggressive penalties rather than lazy
An absolute disaster in overtime

Reactions: funky and YP44

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Best case scenario for the Kings is dealing Kempe for a top 4 physical LHD and letting Arvidsson - the better player of the two - leave via free agency at the end of next year so that two offensive roles are opened up for the kids who are ready AND losing their waiver eligibility.

Not every trade has to be won on paper in a vacuum. Opening up roster spots has as much value as the assets coming in return.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
Less opportunity yet still could end up a 30 goal scorer. Not sure how that’s counts as a disappointment but we can agree to not agree I suppose.

It's been a disappointment only because he hasn't looked as assertive this year as he was last year, and because we know how great he was last season. It's certainly a good thing that a disappointing season for him now would be almost 30 goals.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Best case scenario for the Kings is dealing Kempe for a top 4 physical LHD and letting Arvidsson - the better player of the two - leave via free agency at the end of next year so that two offensive roles are opened up for the kids who are ready AND losing their waiver eligibility.

Not every trade has to be won on paper in a vacuum. Opening up roster spots has as much value as the assets coming in return.
Gonna be a lot of crinkled up undies after the plebeians pick through this, but it’s absolutely sage.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
Kempe making a lot of people in this thread look oh so dumb.

Eh, I don't know about that. We can all look back on proposals and make comments, but at the time the Kings were 18th in the league in points percentage and their defense was pretty severely underperforming. Kempe also picked up his pace pretty considerably, because he was on a 26-goal pace and finished with 41. It was clear this Kings team needed an upgrade at LD and at the time, Kempe was one person who could potentially bring that.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
LAK fans, who is better Fiala or Kempe? What are the main differences between the two? How do Kings fans feel about each player. This would help me understand how good he is. It looks like Fiala had a down year scoring-wise or at least was playing more of a facilitator role for LAK than for the Wild. I'm surprised that he wasn't on a 30-40g pace.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
LAK fans, who is better Fiala or Kempe? What are the main differences between the two? How do Kings fans feel about each player. This would help me understand how good he is. It looks like Fiala had a down year scoring-wise or at least was playing more of a facilitator role for LAK than for the Wild. I'm surprised that he wasn't on a 30-40g pace.

This depends on the view of the Winger position.

In my humble position, a top 6 winger has no other job than scoring goals.
Kempe is lightning fast and scores tons of goals, so he would be my first choice.

If you like this dangling and entertaining style with less goal output but still in the 30 goal range, Fiala is your man

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009

Fiala completely changed how the Kings play. He was able to control whole games offensively, something we haven't seen since Ziggy Palffy. He was one of the best Kings this season, if not the best. It sucks that he took that knee from Cogliano, because I would have loved to see him in the playoffs.

Kempe is more of an elite complementary guy. Super fast, great shot, kind of a jerk, but has a tendency to be streaky. First King since Robitaille in 93-94 to score 40+ in LA.

I think Fiala is the better player, but Kempe might be the most underrated player in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad