Value of: Adin Hill - 2023 Unrestricted Free Agent

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
There is a very real possibility that Adin Hill could be the Cup winning goaltender for the Vegas Golden Knights. Just turned 27 years old and has played for 3 teams mostly as a backup. He came in for an injured Laurent Brossoit in the Oilers series and has posted strong numbers. Figure he should get an opportunity somewhere this summer.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Has all the hallmarks of a future mistake for some team imo. The most games he’s ever played in a season is 27. Vegas has started like a dozen goalies, and they’ve all posted good numbers, so there’s a big system factor there. Top that off with a playoff hotstreak, and you might get someone to bite on paying him like a starter, which I’m guessing won’t age well if it happens.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Concur with @tsujimoto74 . While Hill is probably the most reliable of the guys behind Lehner and Thompson (though at this point Lehner is probably cooked as an NHL player. A whole year missed and getting that time to dwell on his snake farm fiasco, I can't see him coming back as an effective starter) he does get the benefit of a very goalie friendly system. Vegas this year has been super suffocating at cutting off passing lanes and forcing shots out from the perimeter while also being the best shot blocking team in the league and somehow, in connection with that, don't often screen their own goalie.

If Vegas wins the cup, which I'm by no means penciling in, Hill deserves a lot of credit and maybe it's a sign that he's reaching a new level in his career. But there's too many question marks about where his game will be going forward.

I think a team actually ready to win hockey games is best off giving him a show me deal at 1x3.5. Assuming Vegas can't hold on to him.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Has all the hallmarks of a future mistake for some team imo. The most games he’s ever played in a season is 27. Vegas has started like a dozen goalies, and they’ve all posted good numbers, so there’s a big system factor there. Top that off with a playoff hotstreak, and you might get someone to bite on paying him like a starter, which I’m guessing won’t age well if it happens.
This is true, but he could also be the next Craig Anderson, who wasn't a starter until he was 29. This happens from time to time with goalies. Tim Thomas was like 31 when he became an NHL starter. Jack Campbell was 29, although he is a flash in the pan who has regressed horribly. Dominik Hasek 28.

They mentioned the story of how in Phoenix, Rick Tocchet told Hill that if he wants a long career he should start taking hockey seriously. Maybe he took that to heart and worked a ton on his technique from then on, hence late bloomer. Since 2019, his NHL save % is pretty decent, Craig Anderson type numbers from his last years before becoming a starter.

Vegas has a great system, but Hill does look in control out there, and has good technique, and a style that fits with a larger goalie.

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
This is true, but he could also be the next Craig Anderson, who wasn't a starter until he was 29. This happens from time to time with goalies. Tim Thomas was like 31 when he became an NHL starter. Jack Campbell was 29, although he is a flash in the pan who has regressed horribly. Dominik Hasek 28.

Hasek is a pretty awful example to point to. The only reason he wasn't a starter much sooner is because (1) the iron curtain kept him out of the NHL, and (2) when he finally did make it over here, the team that held his rights already had Ed Belfour.

TF1970

May 9, 2021
Correct me if I am wrong, but it has never been an ability thing for Hill, he just hasn’t stayed healthy.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Hill isn't a guy that's going to steal you a series, but if you already have a team with a decent defensive structure he's the type of big reliable goalie you want.

I'd love him in Toronto to pair with Woll, similar style of goalie and better than the erratic Samsonov. He's also a guy LA could've used this season.

He's just not going to change the fortunes of a fringe team like Columbus or Detroit.

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
Hill isn't a guy that's going to steal you a series, but if you already have a team with a decent defensive structure he's the type of big reliable goalie you want.

I'd love him in Toronto to pair with Woll, similar style of goalie and better than the erratic Samsonov. He's also a guy LA could've used this season.

He's just not going to change the fortunes of a fringe team like Columbus or Detroit.
i could see jets cashing in on Helle (sad but still)

And going for hill.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Columbus is desperate for a goalie, I could see us opening up the checkbook to give Elvis some real competition and force Tarasov to stay in the AHL for another year to get some consistency going with hopefully, a healthy season.

Doesn't mean we won't do it and try :laugh:

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Winnipeg will probably have an opening for starting position right after we trade Hellebuyck. Doubt he’d wanna come here tho.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Correct me if I am wrong, but it has never been an ability thing for Hill, he just hasn’t stayed healthy.
Health was an issue this year. Before that he was a 3rd string goalie for Arizona. Health wasn't an issue I was aware of, he just only got to come up to nhl when one of their 2 goalies was down but he was decent. He was backup for San Jose for one year after but was less effective than with arizona.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Concur with @tsujimoto74 . While Hill is probably the most reliable of the guys behind Lehner and Thompson (though at this point Lehner is probably cooked as an NHL player. A whole year missed and getting that time to dwell on his snake farm fiasco, I can't see him coming back as an effective starter) he does get the benefit of a very goalie friendly system. Vegas this year has been super suffocating at cutting off passing lanes and forcing shots out from the perimeter while also being the best shot blocking team in the league and somehow, in connection with that, don't often screen their own goalie.

If Vegas wins the cup, which I'm by no means penciling in, Hill deserves a lot of credit and maybe it's a sign that he's reaching a new level in his career. But there's too many question marks about where his game will be going forward.

I think a team actually ready to win hockey games is best off giving him a show me deal at 1x3.5. Assuming Vegas can't hold on to him.

Some teams make goalies look good and Vegas is definitely one of them.

Some teams make them look bad and Edmonton is one of them.

Some goalies make teams look good but I find it's only in fits and spurts.

Some teams and goalies play good and the goalie gets a bit overrated.

The position has kind of turned into an enigma imo.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Could see buffalo being interested if the contract is relatively fair and they don't land any big fish like hellebuyck. Assuming they'd atleast want insurance around levi or a split 1a,1b type of thing.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Knights should just get rid of Lehner and stick with a Thomspon-Hill duo.

But Hill is going to want to get paid.

Reactions: um and rams

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad