Player Discussion Adam Gaudette, Pt. II

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Fantastic for him ! I think he is already a top 9 player but w. Development and ice time in utica then i believe he can be top 6 for us.

My guess is were going to be looking to trade a forward or 2 at TDL and then re call Hockey Gaud.

He most certainly is not a top9 forward right now. Not with his numbers. 4th line, yes.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
I thought he was getting better and would've liked to see him in over useless bum Granlund

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Gaudette > Sutter next year as the 3rd line centre. Gaudette plays fast with energy, Sutter is an offensive black hole.

Reactions: B-rock

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I still see the same issue with Gaudette that can only explain with he seems to always be actively thinking what he needs to do. It’s that thinking that hampers him at the NHL level as the decisions don’t seem to come fast enough. I’m still not convinced he’ll be much more than a 10-13th forward. Which isn’t necessarily a bad end result but I’m not really seeing the top 9 capable guy on a good team. At least not yet,

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Gaudette > Sutter next year as the 3rd line centre. Gaudette plays fast with energy, Sutter is an offensive black hole.

Gaudette is actually not that fast. I think Sutter is actually faster. Gaudette has 6 points in 36 career games. 14 point pace/82 games. Sutter is proven that he can produce 30 plus points. Sutter is also better defensively too, Gaudette needs to show he can replace Sutter before getting Sutter job.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Even if gaudette isn’t better than suffer next year he’s close enough that you deal with the downgrade for the potential that in 3-4 years when we are competing for a cup he’s more valuable to the team.

It’s the same reason why I want gaunce over beagle on the roster. The marginal downgrade right now and growing pains is worth the potential upside that gaudette/gaunce/other rookies give us over the players they are replacing for when we are trying to compete for a cup.

My idea however doesn’t work if your planning on the playoffs for this year or next year as your goal like this management group is.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Even if gaudette isn’t better than suffer next year he’s close enough that you deal with the downgrade for the potential that in 3-4 years when we are competing for a cup he’s more valuable to the team.

It’s the same reason why I want gaunce over beagle on the roster. The marginal downgrade right now and growing pains is worth the potential upside that gaudette/gaunce/other rookies give us over the players they are replacing for when we are trying to compete for a cup.

My idea however doesn’t work if your planning on the playoffs for this year or next year as your goal like this management group is.

Almost spilled my coffee on that...

Nice touch from your auto correct to turn the player into my feelings about said player.

Reactions: lindgren

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?

Even if you're not realistically projecting to be in the playoffs this year or next, I feel like you're on to something in downgrading in return for more draft picks and assets.

I personally would keep one of Sutter and Beagle, and from what I have seen displayed this year it would be Beagle as my choice as even though he is overpaid for his position he actually does provide the usually overstated "leadership and intangibles" or at least presents to. He's been very positive and has a wealth of experience including being a part of a cup winning team. Having one vet around who has done that is valuable from a mentoring perspective, especially when they are known for lifting a room.

I don't know Sutter super well? Seems to stick his foot in his mouth from time to time talking to the media? It doesn't feel like we missed him terribly, and we could probably get something decent back. Sutter also just doesn't have nearly as much experience to pass on as Beagle.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Keep in mind that Gaudette is an older prospect. He's doing what he should be in Utica: producing. Whereas guys like Kole Lind and Jonah Gadjovich have a couple years where they can get away with not making the NHL (though they do need to produce in Utica which they aren't), Gaudette pretty much needs to make the NHL next year. The next step will be producing at the NHL level. He looked awful for most of this year, but started to improve before he was sent down. Hopefully producing at the AHL level will help his confidence and he can round out his game and take that step forward next year.

Having said all that, he's still better than some of the garbage Benning has littered our NHL team with.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Keep in mind that Gaudette is an older prospect. He's doing what he should be in Utica: producing. Whereas guys like Kole Lind and Jonah Gadjovich have a couple years where they can get away with not making the NHL (though they do need to produce in Utica which they aren't), Gaudette pretty much needs to make the NHL next year. The next step will be producing at the NHL level. He looked awful for most of this year, but started to improve before he was sent down. Hopefully producing at the AHL level will help his confidence and he can round out his game and take that step forward next year.

Having said all that, he's still better than some of the garbage Benning has littered our NHL team with.
He is a lot better then some of the crap we already have on this team..but as long as he is gaining more confidence down in Utica I'm good with him there then dragging around a Grandlund or Eriksson...

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia

One would hope that he keeps producing until the TDL and we are able to sell of Granlund to make a spot for him. Shift Sutter to his wing and let him play as the 3C to get even more accustomed to the NHL game. Then he goes down to Utica again at the end of the year if they are in a playoff position for a Calder Cup run.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Gaunce is definitely a better player than 2-3 of our bottom-six players. He and Gaudette should be on the roster, and Schaller and Granlund can take a seat.

You are right and that shows exactly why the Beagle and Schaller signings were such poor management. Same or better results with cheaper, younger players with upside who could be part of the future.

Just another example of this management failing to grasp where this team is in its development cycle. They have had that wrong from day 1 and stubbornly sign poor veterans to bad contracts.

Reactions: bossram

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017

He never looked like garbage except for an off game or 2.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I personally would keep one of Sutter and Beagle, and from what I have seen displayed this year it would be Beagle as my choice as even though he is overpaid for his position he actually does provide the usually overstated "leadership and intangibles" or at least presents to. He's been very positive and has a wealth of experience including being a part of a cup winning team. Having one vet around who has done that is valuable from a mentoring perspective, especially when they are known for lifting a room.

Beagle being part of this cup winning team is being super overrated. He was out played mins wise by Charlie Stephenson (who???) And if you need to keep beagle around for leadership I question why we have the others that provide leadership and nothing else. Loui, guds etc. we can’t need so much leadership do we?

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Beagle being part of this cup winning team is being super overrated. He was out played mins wise by Charlie Stephenson (who???) And if you need to keep beagle around for leadership I question why we have the others that provide leadership and nothing else. Loui, guds etc. we can’t need so much leadership do we?

He was still a longtime part of that team that went through seasons of disappointments before finally winning it all.

It probably is overstated and a bit overrated... but it's still legitimate experience that Loui and Gudbranson, and whoever else just don't have. You can't manufacture that experience or share what it takes without having lived it.

If you don't see value in that, especially when looking for someone to mentor younger guys, well you are entitled to your opinion. :dunno:

(...also leadership is ideally something everyone on your team should display in some fashion.)

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
He was still a longtime part of that team that went through seasons of disappointments before finally winning it all.

It probably is overstated and a bit overrated... but it's still legitimate experience that Loui and Gudbranson, and whoever else just don't have. You can't manufacture that experience or share what it takes without having lived it.

If you don't see value in that, especially when looking for someone to mentor younger guys, well you are entitled to your opinion. :dunno:

(...also leadership is ideally something everyone on your team should display in some fashion.)

My question to you and in general is leadership provided only by Stanley cup winners?

Is it provided by veterans who have been around along time?

Leadership is so hard to quantify that it’s stupid to overpay and use that as a sole reason for someone on your team.

Can you order for me who of these players is providing the most leadership in order:

Horvat
Beagle
Eriksson

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Let Gaunce and Gaudette play together in the AHL for the rest of the year. Make space for them next year on the Canucks. They're probably both solid 4th line players now. A year of building confidence and chemistry can only help them.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

Complete nonsense, this over used veteran leadership thing in Vancouver. It is somehow supposed to justify horrible contracts on mediocre veteran players.

The best leader on the team right now, the one who all the veterans are trying to emulate with 2 way play, the one who is inspiring under achieving veterans like Edler to play well this season, is a 20 year old rookie who has never been near the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad