Player Discussion Adam Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
There was a play last night where the puck came around to Fox on the boards/halfwall in the defensive zone, with like 3 Penguins charging at him. Basically the hardest situation to be in as a defenseman.

He just patiently waited for the puck, drew two of the forecheckers to him and slipped the puck between them to the Rangers forward breaking the puck out.

It was so simple looking, but was something none of our other defenseman (or most in the league, for that matter) are even remotely capable of replicating. This guy is unbelievable.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Marty Skoula could only dream of having this kids puck poise.

Remember this thread, started by a Devils fan of all people, and everyone was dunking on him calling Fox the smartest puck moving dman in the league..he was right. Props.

Adam Fox

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I said it last night, there isn’t a single time he’s on the ice where I’m worried.

Not even McD at his best made me as comfortable as he does.

McDonagh at his best (it was only a brief window from the Winter Classic in Philly up until he got the C) was on a whole different level. We forget how good he was because it was such a short peak.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
McDonagh at his best (it was only a brief window from the Winter Classic in Philly up until he got the C) was on a whole different level. We forget how good he was because it was such a short peak.

I went to possibly the best game he had in his career against the Coyotes, he had I think 2 goals and an assist and had 2 points on the game tying goal and game winning goal in OT. MSG went crazy.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Not sure I agree. I think Fox is on that level...maybe not completely up there with prime McDonagh but close. McDonagh has the physical skills that Fox doesn't and was a joy to watch play 1 on 1 defense but Fox is so incredibly smart and better with the puck than McDonagh

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'll say it.

Fox has been better than Prime McDonagh since December of last year. 1 on 1 and in the corners Mac has the edge, but Fox controls the game when he's out there. He's doing at the NHL level what he did in college.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I'll say it.

Fox has been better than Prime McDonagh since December of last year. 1 on 1 and in the corners Mac has the edge, but Fox controls the game when he's out there. He's doing at the NHL level what he did in college.

Nope it's not even close. Some serious revionist history with this. McDonagh was what seth Jones is right now.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Fox is a stud but it's really hard to compare him to McDonagh given their usage (to this point), play style and the where their teams are/were.

Fox so far has averaged 19:15 TOI in his career. Prime Mac was getting 24/25 Mins a night. Fox also hasn't been deployed as a shutdown guy or against top players specifically so much yet, that's been Jacob Trouba mostly so far in the time Fox has been a Ranger.

McDonagh finished 11, 8, 11, 15, 17 in Norris voting in a 6 year span and was a big reason the Rangers became cup contenders when he supplanted Staal.

He has the talent to be on that level or better though. But he needs to prove it over larger sample and over tougher minutes.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Fox is a stud but it's really hard to compare him to McDonagh given their usage (to this point), play style and the where their teams are/were.

Fox so far has averaged 19:15 TOI in his career. Prime Mac was getting 24/25 Mins a night. Fox also hasn't been deployed as a shutdown guy or against top players specifically so much yet, that's been Jacob Trouba mostly so far in the time Fox has been a Ranger.

McDonagh finished 11, 8, 11, 15, 17 in Norris voting in a 6 year span and was a big reason the Rangers became cup contenders when he supplanted Staal.

He has the talent to be on that level or better though. But he needs to prove it over larger sample and over tougher minutes.
It's only his second year. His minutes are going up to 24-25 mins a game already. I think he's already ahead of McD when he was starting up his career. Fox's hockey smarts surpasses McD's I think.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Rookie seasons time on ice:
McDonagh- 18:44
Fox - 18:54

Second seasons time on ice:
McDonagh- 24:44
Fox - 24:10

Seems to be right on par with McDonagh

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
Rookie seasons time on ice:
McDonagh- 18:44
Fox - 18:54

Second seasons time on ice:
McDonagh- 24:44
Fox - 24:10

Seems to be right on par with McDonagh

Yeah... If was to choose one of McD or Fox after each of their rookie seasons +5 sophomore season games (assuming you wouldn't know what McD would become), at this point I would pick Fox. Already playing the same type of minutes that McD did while putting up much better numbers, and still playing very good D.

That doesn't take away how good McD was though.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
I'll also add that his ability to see shooting lanes is the best I've ever seen and 70% of the time he is actually aiming to put it in the perfect spot for a tip. When you watch the slo-mos of his shots its almost as if the player in front doesn't even have to move to get the tip. Just outstanding vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,700.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Austria vs Norway
    Austria vs Norway