Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I still have no problem with the trade. It was going to be a long time before Forsberg would have had a chance to even sniff the top 6 on this team. We got Latta who is an upgrade over Beagle and we're going to get something back for Erat. If anything, I think the failure here is not giving Erat more of an opportunity on the top line with Ovie and Backstrom. He's a top line player. He never got a chance to develop any chemistry and Johansson is a just a really fast human turnover machine.

As long as Latta develops and Forsberg doesn't, agreed. Total misuse of Erat by team management. He's the main piece of a redundant trade and then is treated almost like an outcast, not put into a situation to help him succeed, pretty much the opposite actually. Now maybe it comes out that he got here and was surly and nobody on the team liked him, dunno... On the surface the Erat handling was atrocious...

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I wonder if we could work something out like Erat and Ernskie for Gaborik

Personally I just don't like Gaborik and I doubt we would trade in division and I doubt Jackets would take that. So I don't think it works for either club.

Now..also we could use a Dman. A vet left handed shooting Dman would be ideal.

I'd target Brad Stuart altho he may have a NMC as he went back to the west coast for a reason. He wouldn't be happy here even if not but worth asking.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Personally I just don't like Gaborik and I doubt we would trade in division and I doubt Jackets would take that. So I don't think it works for either club.

I'd target Brad Stuart altho he may have a NMC as he went back to the west coast for a reason. He wouldn't be happy here even if not but worth asking.

We traded a Captain to Columbus. I could see trades in division. Depends on what Columbus things Gaborik would return at the deadline. I just don't think Gaborik fits here myself. Another left handed RW.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
We traded a Captain to Columbus. I could see trades in division. Depends on what Columbus things Gaborik would return at the deadline. I just don't think Gaborik fits here myself. Another left handed RW.

The handedness thing aside when we traded Clark and Juice we have to remember that Clark wasn't really playing that much so the Captain thing didn't mean alot. Also they were in the Western Conference at the time.

Most teams avoid trades within the division if at all possible.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA

What, because we're afraid Erskine will improve their team?

Either way, Erskine and Gaborik are on IR and cannot be traded.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I have been a serious Erat defender since he arrived, but WTF? He didn't get a chance last year because he was hurt the whole time and this year he played a half dozen games with 19 and 8 and had no goals and what, 2 points? The idea that he wasn't give a chance is BS.

Hate the discord though, so guess it's time they ship him out.

That said, McPhee should never be allowed to make a move for this team again. Fire him today and make Erat wait until they get a decent GM.

Also, too, is it possible Neuvy isn't hurt, but is part of a package with 10? Anyone see the injury?

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I don't buy that there's an intentional shift away from a skill game.

Semin was coming off two 50 point seasons and it would've been madness to hand him $7 million.

Flash had no place here and he was out of our price range.

Perreault was shipped out due to poor coaching.

Erat (a rw for 11 years in the NHL) has also failed largely due to coaching.

The lack of skill has more to do with Mcphee's inability to acquire it via trade and free agency. He's relying solely on the draft to build a team and the results are an unbalanced team in terms of positional depth, skill, health, salary and experience.

Halpysback*

I don't buy that there's an intentional shift away from a skill game.

Semin was coming off two 50 point seasons and it would've been madness to hand him $7 million.

Flash had no place here and he was out of our price range.

Perreault was shipped out due to poor coaching.

Erat (a rw for 11 years in the NHL) has also failed largely due to coaching.

The lack of skill has more to do with Mcphee's inability to acquire it via trade and free agency. He's relying solely on the draft to build a team and the results are an unbalanced team in terms of positional depth, skill, health, salary and experience.

Perreault was moved to make room for Wilson, as was Forsberg

When Semin left GMGM brushed aside any skill concerns with his "Troy Brouwer is a 20 goal scorer" crap and his pitch that they can make up the offense by committee.

Erskine was made a top 4 mainstay and they were looking to keep him this year.

Olesky.

Erat continuously gets the shaft for so called gritty (if you listen to them) pluggers.

There's a very obvious shift to a grit/toughness game which isn't necessarily a bad thing on its own but it's being done very half-assedly and with no regard for how the team fits together. It's like GMGM is looking at players NHL '13 scores and throwing them on the roster if they're adequate for him.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Perreault was moved to make room for Wilson, as was Forsberg

When Semin left GMGM brushed aside any skill concerns with his "Troy Brouwer is a 20 goal scorer" crap and his pitch that they can make up the offense by committee.

Erskine was made a top 4 mainstay and they were looking to keep him this year.

Olesky.

Erat continuously gets the shaft for so called gritty (if you listen to them) pluggers.

There's a very obvious shift to a grit/toughness game which isn't necessarily a bad thing on its own but it's being done very half-assedly and with no regard for how the team fits together. It's like GMGM is looking at players NHL '13 scores and throwing them on the roster if they're adequate for him.

Forsberg was traded in a desperate attempt to make the playoffs. It had nothing to do with grit or toughness..

Perreault was traded because he's a left handed center and Oates wanted 2 LH C and 2 RH C. Again, nothing to do with grit or toughness.

Liberati0n*

Forsberg was traded in a desperate attempt to make the playoffs. It had nothing to do with grit or toughness..

Perreault was traded because he's a left handed center and Oates wanted 2 LH C and 2 RH C. Again, nothing to do with grit or toughness.

He may want that handedness balance, but I'm pretty sure Perreault was traded almost solely to get under the salary cap. I know for sure he wouldn't have been traded if they hadn't been over it. Both that and the Forsberg trade were made in the context of Wilson as their priority. He's been prioritized because of his style of play, and that's defined more by his grit than anything else.

I think there was a specific effort to add more "grit" after 2010, but it wasn't executed well. Putting so much stock in Brouwer as a core player is probably the biggest mistake in that process. He and Laich are players with nice aesthetics but who aren't legitimately hard to play against (Erat is probably harder to than either of them). Wilson looks like he fits the actual idea much better though, and Latta helps.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
He may want that handedness balance, but I'm pretty sure Perreault was traded almost solely to get under the salary cap. I know for sure he wouldn't have been traded if they hadn't been over it. Both that and the Forsberg trade were made in the context of Wilson as their priority. He's been prioritized because of his style of play, and that's defined more by his grit than anything else.

I think there was a specific effort to add more "grit" after 2010, but it wasn't executed well. Putting so much stock in Brouwer as a core player is probably the biggest mistake in that process. He and Laich are players with nice aesthetics but who aren't legitimately hard to play against (Erat is probably harder to than either of them). Wilson looks like he fits the actual idea much better though, and Latta helps.

If true, that's ridiculous. We traded a potential top-6 kid and a proven scoring/energy center to make room for a 4th liner with 1 goal in 23 games? I like Wilson, but he's shown no scoring line potential to this point and is 100% not a replacement for a skill player.

You should trade guys out to make room for similar players or for cap space for better players.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The handedness thing aside when we traded Clark and Juice we have to remember that Clark wasn't really playing that much so the Captain thing didn't mean alot. Also they were in the Western Conference at the time.

Most teams avoid trades within the division if at all possible.

There's a history there....I just don't think the trade works for the Caps.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
What, because we're afraid Erskine will improve their team?

Either way, Erskine and Gaborik are on IR and cannot be traded.

That's easily addressable for a trade...not an impassable roadblock assuming healthy at some point. I think the hockey reasons not to do it are more valid.

Liberati0n*

If true, that's ridiculous. We traded a potential top-6 kid and a proven scoring/energy center to make room for a 4th liner with 1 goal in 23 games? I like Wilson, but he's shown no scoring line potential to this point and is 100% not a replacement for a skill player.

You should trade guys out to make room for similar players or for cap space for better players.

I mean, I obviously agree that Wilson shouldn't be in the NHL yet, but I don't really have a problem with valuing him over Forsberg in general. I'm not saying that Forsberg was traded because they didn't think he was gritty or something; just that he was the one available because they were focused on Wilson.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I mean, I obviously agree that Wilson shouldn't be in the NHL yet, but I don't really have a problem with valuing him over Forsberg in general.

I'm less concerned with Forsberg in particular than with the randomness. A Forsberg-type player (not to mention the value he had around the league at the time) and a Wilson-type player should not be evaluated relative to one another. The only thing they have in common is being RW.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012

Not seeing the 2 RH C and 2 LH C thing. He needed to clear cap space for Wilson so he dealt Perreault.

We've had 3 LH C and 1 RH C for practically the entire year.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I have been a serious Erat defender since he arrived, but WTF? He didn't get a chance last year because he was hurt the whole time and this year he played a half dozen games with 19 and 8 and had no goals and what, 2 points? The idea that he wasn't give a chance is BS.

Hate the discord though, so guess it's time they ship him out.

That said, McPhee should never be allowed to make a move for this team again. Fire him today and make Erat wait until they get a decent GM.

Also, too, is it possible Neuvy isn't hurt, but is part of a package with 10? Anyone see the injury?

A whole 6 games to acclimate himself to a new team, new linemates and new city with his family? Oh my God....I'm sorry, you're right, he had an eternity to prove his worth. You're right, McPhee handled it all perfectly. :thumbu:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
A whole 6 games to acclimate himself to a new team, new linemates and new city with his family? Oh my God....I'm sorry, you're right, he had an eternity to prove his worth, you're right. :thumbu:

I just disagree with the notion that he's not had any chance, which is what he said. He's spent plenty of time with this team now and while I think he's 100% better than Brouwer, he hasn't exactly lit the world on fire.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I just disagree with the notion that he's not had any chance, which is what he said. He's spent plenty of time with this team now and while I think he's 100% better than Brouwer, he hasn't exactly lit the world on fire.

Any vs barely....splitting hairs. EVERYONE knows he got a sniff with the top line here and there, that's not debatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad