Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
So...which team needs an Erat kinda player...with a contract to dump or cap space to accommodate that hit?

Potential targets I see include Phoenix (Klesla), Carolina (Gleason, Ruutu), Tampa Bay (Malone), Montreal (Desharnais, maaaaybe Gorges), and Vancouver (Booth). Obviously none of those, save Gorges, are really attractive options. It would be a underachiever for underachiever deal, and we'd have to hope that the player we get steps up.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
The value of the return on the trade wasn't great but let's see what happens with Latta and Forsberg. It may not end up looking nearly as bad 5 years from now.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Potential targets I see include Phoenix (Klesla), Carolina (Gleason, Ruutu), Tampa Bay (Malone), Montreal (Desharnais, maaaaybe Gorges), and Vancouver (Booth). Obviously none of those, save Gorges, are really attractive options. It would be a underachiever for underachiever deal, and we'd have to hope that the player we get steps up.

Klesla really isn't an underachiever, he's played well. Phoenix just has 8 or 9 NHL caliber defensemen and are always in need of more offense.

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
Still think GMGM could've gotten Couturier for Forsberg if he'd tried (if he thought he knew something about Forsberg that others didn't, and was insistent on trading Forsberg before word got out). Couturier was in the doghouse around the time of that trade.

Liberati0n*

huh? They didn't get one?? I find that hard to believe. In the first period alone didn't Chimera walk out in front and take a strong shot and Ward pummeled a rebound that Reimer got lucky to save?

They really drove play by any measure. Shots, scoring chances, quality chances, Corsi, Fenwick...you name it.

Sometimes things just don't break your way (Clarkson and Gallagher borderline high sticks that counted which could have gone either way)

I asked that night whether anyone had seen Reimer make any difficult saves. I don't think there were any. Toronto also routinely gets outshot (only Buffalo is worse, I think, maybe Edmonton).

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Still think GMGM could've gotten Couturier for Forsberg if he'd tried (if he thought he knew something about Forsberg that others didn't, and was insistent on trading Forsberg before word got out). Couturier was in the doghouse around the time of that trade.

If we're looking back, I think he could of gotten Jeff Carter for Mike Green.

Liberati0n*

Everything I'm seeing about Gleason sounds really bad. If there's one player I don't want them to get, it's him. Well, Booth too. If it's up to Erat where he goes, I wonder what teams he sees as contenders.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
Lol, top of page 19 on the trade deadline Erat thread Vladiator16: "4.5 mill 4th liner? Hmm..." dude called it.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Klesla really isn't an underachiever, he's played well. Phoenix just has 8 or 9 NHL caliber defensemen and are always in need of more offense.
Underachiever might not be the right word for him, but I'm still not 100% sold on him being the top 4 guy we're looking for.

A few months before that, Philadelphia wouldn't entertain the idea of trading Couturier in a package for Shea Weber. I highly doubt any rumors that said he was available, especially for a price as low as Forsberg. Even now Brayden Schenn is rumored as being available before Couturier. Philadelphia values him a lot.

Icetime

Oct 28, 2006
LA
Anyone... who knows anything about hockey... makes that Erat/Forsberg trade... 10 times out of 10... we are talking basic hockey knowledge required. Total no brainer.

Anyone... who knows anything about hockey... overpays a player like Brooks Laich and then finds a coach that will permanently anchor him on the second line just like the Queen Mary sitting in Long Beach Harbor.

Anyone... who knows anything about hockey... and who has a grand vision of eternal mediocrity... can run the Washington Capitals franchise.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
If we're looking back, I think he could of gotten Jeff Carter for Mike Green.

We could have also gotten Selanne for Allison, Baumgartner and Cote. No use crying over spilled milk.

Anyone... who knows anything about hockey... makes that Erat/Forsberg trade... 10 times out of 10... we are talking basic hockey knowledge required. Total no brainer.

I will say this...David Poile has a GREAT eye for dmen. He could always pull in Murphy, Langway, Hatcher, Calle, (he took over right after we drafted Stevens), Cote, Tinordi, Iafrate, Weber, Suter, and now Jones etc etc

He gets an absolute A+ for that.

But...one thing he could almost never do is pull in and evaluate young forward talent. That was his downfall here and it doesn't seem to have been corrected in Nashville.

His valuation mechanism for young forwards is way off kilter so he could have easily overvalued Forsberg.

Any longtime Caps fan can tell you Poile pretty much sucked at this part.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I lobbied to give the trade time, to evaluate. George saw that we needed a LW and had too many RWs in the pipe.

Ironically, Erat does a lot of the little things this team lacks. Works hard, possesses the puck well, etc. Of course it never led to goals but its clear he was a bad fit, since he made everyone else look bad. Our core is young, who did he bond with on road trips... Neuvy? I know, his mouthpiece.

No, not Laich.

I suspect he is not getting traded anytime soon. Sounds like a standard A-7 (Nylander) scenario. George will strong arm him out of here somehow, eventually. That is what he does best, makes problems go away.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Yeah. The less skill players the better.

Semin - gone
Forsberg - gone
Perreault - gone
Erat - almost gone
Orlov - who knows

I lobbied for us to keep every player listed. I'm on record saying it was abysmal to trade MP, not to sign Semin, not to play Orlov, etc.

But if we're shipping him out, it needs to be done ASAP. Keeping him around the team is no bueno.

NoMoreChoking

Sep 30, 2009
Just laughing right now. This makes McPhee look worse and worse. What a joke.

Not sure if the Colts trade for Richardson is is worse then this.

I think if we don't start winning, this just put the nail in the coffin for him

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
@kcarrera
"FWIW, McPhee said “no regrets” on making the trade to acquire Erat from Nashville last year."

Well I think most definitely felt at the time the driving force for the trade was to make the playoffs last year. Sure argue all you want about how large a part Erat played in them making the playoffs but the bottom line is that they made the playoffs.

I wasn't a fan of the deal then and I'm not now either but I can understand why McPhee would have no regrets about the deal at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad