Abbotsford Canucks | Training Camp Edition

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
For me, there's a lot more interest there in the d than in the forwards. Up front, Lekerimaki is the only guy with a legitimate shot at a solid NHL career. On the back end, there's no big deal prospect like Lekerimaki, but maybe three with a chance.

I hope the organization will make Pettersson and Kudryavtsev priorities, with lots of ice time with veteran partners. There's no way that Kudryavtsev should be sent back to junior for an over-age season.

I think Sasson and Karlsson have an outside chance of carving out a niche career. Ideally, they take a bigger step but I also wouldn't entirely be surprised if either was used in a trade package. We're almost certainly going to add again at the deadline. So picks and prospects not named Lekk and Willander will definitely be in play.

Reactions: Lindgren

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Wonder if Woo, Hirose annd Breisbois are out.

Woo is their best all-around defencemen. Brisebois participated in yesterday's scrimmage so he's at least healthy enough to practice. I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually send Hirose to Kalamazoo.

The defensive depth is going to be tricky:
LD:
Ahac
Brisebois
Hirose
Kudryavtsev
Pettersson
Wolanin
(Brannstrom)

RD:
Felton
McWard
Woo

At the scrimmage, in exhibition games, and at the Young Stars Tournament, Kudryavtsev was playing on the right side. Playing time priority certainly has to go to Kudryavtsev, Pettersson, and McWard. Woo and Wolanin are the two best defenders on the team and will play every night. No idea how to sort the other two spots out.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Side note, Lekkerimaki didn't participate in yesterday's scrimmage. I have no idea why. Didn't seem to be any announcement or reason. No idea what's up with that.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Side note, Lekkerimaki didn't participate in yesterday's scrimmage. I have no idea why. Didn't seem to be any announcement or reason. No idea what's up with that.
I don't profess to understand it.....but didn't I read somewhere that if Lekkerimaki gets recalled to start the season and then gets sent back---it impacts the bonus provisions in his contract?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I don't profess to understand it.....but didn't I read somewhere that if Lekkerimaki gets recalled to start the season and then gets sent back---it impacts the bonus provisions in his contract?

This is the one thing about the salary cap
I don’t understand at all. I do know that would have no bearing on his participation in the scrimmage.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Woo is their best all-around defencemen. Brisebois participated in yesterday's scrimmage so he's at least healthy enough to practice. I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually send Hirose to Kalamazoo.

LD:
Ahac
Brisebois
Hirose
Kudryavtsev
Pettersson
Wolanin
(Brannstrom)

RD:
Felton
McWard
Woo

At the scrimmage, in exhibition games, and at the Young Stars Tournament, Kudryavtsev was playing on the right side. Playing time priority certainly has to go to Kudryavtsev, Pettersson, and McWard. Woo and Wolanin are the two best defenders on the team and will play every night. No idea how to sort the other two spots out.

Wolanin and Brannstrom are better hockey players than Woo and so was Brisebois prior to the concussion. Hirose would have to agree to be sent to the ECHL as he is on a one-way NHL contract.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

LD:
Ahac
Brisebois
Hirose
Kudryavtsev
Pettersson
Wolanin
(Brannstrom)

RD:
Felton
McWard
Woo

I think it's more like Woo doesn't want to be here anymore, remember him saying bye to Abby and posting about it? Yeah I think they have given up on Hirose, he's just too physically weak. I wonder if they will move KK over to the right side and we end up with.

Brannstrom - KK
Wol - Felton
Petterson - McWard
Breisbois

I am assuming Breisbois will be eased back in due to him missing a full season.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

LD:
Ahac
Brisebois
Hirose
Kudryavtsev
Pettersson
Wolanin
(Brannstrom)

RD:
Felton
McWard
Woo

Wow! If Brannstrom clears and ends up in Abby, that's a serious log-jam of left-shot d-men. Wolanin and probably Brannstrom are 'automatics. And Brisebois could also be included, if he's healthy.

After that, who knows? Supposedly your AHL team is all about 'player development'. So they have to find some major ice-time for D-Petey and Kudryavtsev somehow.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

I suppose one potential upside would be that Branstrom does well enough that he'd be considered a positive asset later in the season—for a team headed for the playoffs and wanting a player on a fully buried contract that could be considered emergency depth.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

They can't send a guy on a 1-way NHL deal to the ECHL.

• Wow
Reactions: Vector

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad