Abbotsford Canucks Talk | Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
That's the thing I've noticed about Raty more than anything....his shot.....it's heavy and comes off his stick like a bullet. It's obvious he's worked for hours on his shooting.

To beat a goaltender from distance like that with a one timer is impressive in any league. Raty's breakthrough has to be on of the most positive things to happen to the Canucks prospect pool all season long.

Reactions: Jay26

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Raty has shown some talent and hockey sense throughout the season, and it's good to see him heating up offensively-- but his straight-line skating is still a real issue so don't get ahead of yourselves.

Reactions: IComeInPeace

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Anybody that can one-time a puck and score from distance would be a welcome addition to the big club. The Nucks just have no ability to do that right now and it is killing the PP. Very much looking forward to Raty and Lekkerimaki to make the team one day to add that dimension.

Glad Raty is developing well down there. Sounds like he is being groomed as a winger, which is too bad, we desperately need more center depth. Well, as long as he becomes a NHL player, its still a win.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Was interested in Iain McIntyre's Q&A interview with Jim Rutherford. He expects four or five players from Abbotsford the challenge for spots on the big league roster next season.

I'm guessing he's referring to Silovs, Raty, Sasson, Karlsson and maybe McWard. One thing is for certain.....youth will be served on the Canucks next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I admittedly don’t follow the farm that closely, but Raty has basically broken out on the wing? It was always sort of assumed he projected there in the NHL.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Was interested in Iain McIntyre's Q&A interview with Jim Rutherford. He expects for or five players from Abbotsford the challenge for spots on the big league roster next season.

I'm guessing he's referring to Silovs, Raty, Sasson, Karlsson and maybe McWard. One thing is for certain.....youth will be served on the Canucks next season.
I wonder if he includes Bains and Pod in that group since neither has secured a permanent spot. My guess would be Silovs, Bains, Pod, Raty, and Sasson = 5

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I wonder if he includes Bains and Pod in that group since neither has secured a permanent spot. My guess would be Silovs, Bains, Pod, Raty, and Sasson = 5

This would be the 5 although they probably do include McWard. At least during camp and to start the season they were extremely high on him.

Reactions: sting101

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
I admittedly don’t follow the farm that closely, but Raty has basically broken out on the wing? It was always sort of assumed he projected there in the NHL.

I think the idea is to start him on the wing first then slowly see if he can play center - did we do the same with Kesler? I think so..?

Reactions: TruGr1t

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I think the idea is to start him on the wing first then slowly see if he can play center - did we do the same with Kesler? I think so..?

They did but I don’t think that’s a fair comparison. Kesler was moved to wing when he moved up the line-up to play with Sundin and Demitra. Prior to that he was a centre lower in the line-up and the AHL. That’s not what they are doing with Raty.

He’s kind of being given the Joshua treatment. He was a centre but increasingly played wing once he went pro because of his lack of speed. This is why Joshua is very good at face offs and an adept penalty killer.

I do think Raty will play more center than Joshua but he’ll probably always be paired with a faster player(s) to make up for his deficiencies.

Last edited:
Reactions: kanucks25 and DFAC

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Was interested in Iain McIntyre's Q&A interview with Jim Rutherford. He expects for or five players from Abbotsford the challenge for spots on the big league roster next season.

Would Jett Woo be in that mix?

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
So nice that we have some hope on the farm.

Granted most are projected to be depth players but it's at least something compared to the complete wasteland it was prior.

(Not to mention our top prospects aren't even in the AHL yet)

Reactions: B-rock

David Bruce Banner

Acid Raven Bed Burn
Mar 25, 2008
Waaaaay over there

Granted most are projected to be depth players but it's at least something compared to the complete wasteland it was prior.

Cheap depth allows for more nice things. Previous management never seemed to understand that.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Cheap depth allows for more nice things. Previous management never seemed to understand that.

Yep, having serviceable bottom 6ers at or around league minimum means more money available for real talent in the top-6 which is what we need the most.

Now we just have to hope these guys can actually perform well at earn their spots.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018

Most top players don’t spend much time in the AHL if at all, so it makes sense that these guys project as depth players. Still nice to see compared to the Benning-era wasteland.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Absolutely agree.....no longer are the Canucks forced to dramatically overpay for the likes of Roussel, Beagle, Schaller, Eriksson etc..etc. every off-season.

They now have cheaper replacements for these depth players on the farm.....and when they do expend precious UFA dollars in the off-season, it's on the likes of Soucy or Blueger and Suter on short-term deals.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Too much sports happening recently and I'm finally caught up on the Abbotsford games since Lekkerimaki's arrival. Team is playing really well, one of the best stretches since they moved from Utica. Lots of guys playing with confidence, terrible PP has suddenly got red hot, some young players close to the NHL really breaking out. Colorado series was a nasty, physical one and the team gritted out two victories and then badly outplayed Manitoba and won both games pretty easily.

- Lekkerimaki was terrible in the two Colorado games - although, to be fair, the tempo/physicality of those games was a hell of a thing to walk straight into - but better against Manitoba, in his 3rd game in particular. Really struggled with the quickness of play against Colorado, had several occasions where he took an extra second to make a play in his own zone or the neutral zone and was quickly closed off and turned the puck over. Did find more space against Manitoba on Tuesday and got a few good shots away although quieter in the Wednesday again. Overall, a bit of a disappointing debut so far given how strong his play had been in Europe for the past couple months. He's pretty quick and you can see the nice shot release at times but I was a bit caught off-guard by how thin and small he looks on smaller ice against bigger players. Barring a massive offseason it's difficult to imagine him being anywhere close to playing in the NHL next year.

- EP2 has had a really nice debut, has probably fit in more quickly than Lekkerimaki. Big and strong, skates well, generally in the right places. On his assist, the quick read on a broken play to one-touch a perfect pass for Nielsen's one-timer goal was really impressive. Only criticism of his skating is that, while his forward skating is terrific for his size, he maybe gets a bit too hunched over skating backward and loses some leg drive. Probably easily fixable. Looks like he'll have a smooth transition to this level and should be a solid regular player in Abbotsford next season. Good news.

- Sasson had always been a 'good' skater since arriving in the AHL but in the last month he's levelled up to being an 'elite' skater at this level. He's absolutely flying and the way he's carrying the puck through the neutral zone and attacking defenders with speed reminds a bit of Kesler when he was young - although smaller and relative to AHL players and not NHL players. But it's really positive, and he's been a point-per-game player at this level for a while now. My only concern is that while he's a 'responsible' player I'd like to see him get his nose dirtier and compete harder in the trenches if he's going to project as a bottom-6 C.

- Raty is also obviously having a great last few weeks. Very high IQ player. Knows where to be. Intelligent passes. Intelligent shot selection. Puck management is NHL-calibre. Is killing it in the JT Miller spot on the PP. Skating is improved ... but you still feel like he'll struggle against NHL players. The thing to remember for people pressing for a callup is that he'd be playing bottom-6 minutes and a lot of the offense he's generating is on the PP. But overall this is very positive to see these results at this level and holds well for a good roster push next season. The thing with both Raty and Sasson is that they're both showing 3rd line NHL *offensive* abilities at this point while being solid defensive AHL players but it's that defensive step-up which is the big one.

- Woo is having a terrific run. Playing on PP1 - which has gone horribly in the past - and doing a good job. Was an absolute nasty piece of work in the Colorado games to the point where the Colorado broadcasters were saying how much they hated him and one actually said he wanted to fight Woo. And it wasn't because of anything really dirty or anything ... he was just mean and not fun to play against. Improving puck skills coupled with that level of physicality gives him a shot at sticking as a 7D next year. His issue is that there are still some coverage errors and positioning on cross-seam passes and those sorts of things is still lacking ... but this is the thing that our NHL coaching staff have really cleaned up in everyone so it's definitely possible he makes big steps there if he sticks on the NHL roster.

- Nielsen has been better recently with 4 goals in his last 8 after going 22 without a goal and really losing the edge that had made him effective last year.

- Brisebois is out of the lineup again and no idea if it's an injury relapse or that they preferred to give Pettersson a look.

- Sawchenko has been really solid since re-appearing on the roster and dropped a .934 through his first 4 appearances.

- McDonough continues to have a nice finish to the season. He's kind of dead as a prospect but he's an RFA in the summer and he's maybe shown enough to keep around for another season, even if it's on an AHL deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad