Prospect Info: Aaron Huglen, RW, #102 overall 2019, University of Minnesota

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
He's got 2 more years at Minny. I imagine he goes back to maybe get a chance higher up the lineup.

Maybe we think about it after next year
He Will be 22 at start of camp next year.

Minnesota has what, half the team turn pro After this tournament.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

CapFriendly says differently.

That is only if he stays through the completion of four years of eligibility. Since it's been four years since he was selected, it would be the same as why Portillo is eligible this year to sign anywhere if he decides he's done. I think it's this clause that governs it -

ARTICLE 8 8.6-8.6

1. (iv) If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19, who had received a Bona Fide Offer in accordance with Section 8.6(a)(ii) above, becomes a bona fide college student prior to the second June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft and does not remain a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain exclusive rights for the negotiation of his services until the later of: (a) the fourth June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, or (b) thirty (30) days after NHL Central Registry receives notice that the Player is no longer a bona fide college student; provided that if the Player ceases to be a bona fide college student on or after January 1 of an academic year and the Player: (1) is in his fourth year of college and has commenced his fourth year of NCAA eligibility, or (2) is in his fourth year of college and is scheduled to graduate from college at the end of his fourth year, then in the circumstances described in (1) or (2), the Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for such Player’s services through and including the August 15 following the date on which he ceases to be a bona fide college student.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
That is only if he stays through the completion of four years of eligibility. Since it's been four years since he was selected, it would be the same as why Portillo is eligible this year to sign anywhere if he decides he's done. I think it's this clause that governs it -

So if Huglen says he's done, we get 30 days to sign him.

Otherwise it's the date on CapFriendly.

Makes sense.

My hope is that Huglen takes another year at Minnesota and makes it obvious to us what to do.

Reactions: old kummelweck

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Makes sense.

My hope is that Huglen takes another year at Minnesota and makes it obvious to us what to do.

Yeah, I'm torn. He does a lot of little things well and plays a smart game. He PKs and his line flips possession - last year in the 2nd half of the year with Broz and then all year this year with Pitlick and Kurth, he goes into traffic and stays until he wins the puck. Heck, I even like how he is aware of changing and won't extend a shift and instead will make a prompt change.

But it's back to back seasons around 15 points and that's questionable on an SPC for me, even if it's just the 2 years that a 22-year old would get.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Yeah, I'm torn. He does a lot of little things well and plays a smart game. He PKs and his line flips possession - last year in the 2nd half of the year with Broz and then all year this year with Pitlick and Kurth, he goes into traffic and stays until he wins the puck. Heck, I even like how he is aware of changing and won't extend a shift and instead will make a prompt change.

But it's back to back seasons around 15 points and that's questionable on an SPC for me, even if it's just the 2 years that a 22-year old would get.
*Taps avatar*

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I think it could come down to whether they want to re-sign Pekar who is an RFA this summer vs signing Huglen to an ELC.

Capture.PNG

The minor league FAs this offseason are interesting.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Makes sense.

He has the 30 day pro rule from June 1 2023-Jan 1, 2025. After Jan 1 his grad year rights go thru august 15.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
In December, I figured he wouldn't get a look.

Meh stats, and drafted by a different regime.

Now, I think he does get a look.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Rochester has ZERO right shot forwards. Why not kick him a contract we've got plenty
This is how I feel. Lets see what he can do in a pro league. Min will certainly have another crop of young kids coming in. I am sure he'll feel like he's ready to move on.

What I suspect is that he goes to UFA and signs with a club where he has a shot at making an NHL roster in the next 1-3 years. That ain't Buffalo. He is WAY down the prospect chart.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Huglens route to top-9 won't be a team looking at him as top-9. It will be entering on the 4th line and blossoming. He isn't a blue-chip, and he isn't even a Vesey level prospect. Two years in Rochester and maybe we get a Zem-Kozak-Huglen 4th ine. That would be his NHL entry point for any team in the league. He should be thinking about this development/entry path now in fact, delaying it does not serve his best interests.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Huglens route to top-9 won't be a team looking at him as top-9. It will be entering on the 4th line and blossoming. He isn't a blue-chip, and he isn't even a Vesey level prospect. Two years in Rochester and maybe we get a Zem-Kozak-Huglen 4th ine. That would be his NHL entry point for any team in the league. He should be thinking about this development/entry path now in fact, delaying it does not serve his best interests.
To that last point, the back injury he had (microdisectomy) typically shortens careers as other back issues can pop up. I read the article about his injury in The Athletic and it was spot on to the surgery I had. The injury never “heals” - you’re left with a fraction of the disc in your back, which acts as a shock absorber. This can lead to more degeneration over time.

Point being, if he is going to have an NHL career, he should want to get to it ASAP, because it might not be that long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad