Post-Game Talk: A successful season?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TypeSly

Jan 29, 2010
Wayne Gretzky Drive
We had a few injuries but so did Colorado. If Kuemper didn’t get hurt in the St Louis series game 1 isn’t that close. Maybe we make it 5 games but both these teams fully healthy, Colorado wins the series 100/100 time. There is no shame in that, their roster is simply better than us. When a team has big guns that can mostly keep up with ours and 2-3 defenders better than your best guy…and two goalies better than your goalie, it’ll happen

Seriously, what's up with you today? Everything is so "matter of factly" when you speak of the Oilers' inferiority. Without any consideration of major injuries to our most important contributors. Not to mention that our goaltender couldn't possibly played any worse at the worse possible times over and over. With all those factors, they were gifted a difference-making goal in game one, and two other one goal losses (minus the empty netters).

I think your posts are normally reasonably intelligent, but it just feels like you're here to troll on your own board after a heart-breaking loss.

Reactions: oilers'72

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
You're going on recency effect. Pulju had double hip surgery afairc. He was one of the teams best players in first 30 games. I would say the drop off has something to do with it being hard to play 82 games, then playoffs. I think its injury or recurring related. This is a good player, and physically he's a beast.

This board really turns on players, I mean we all do, but lets try not to be like the org itself has been with discarding players. Good on Holland and Tippett to get Pulju back in the fold and have him playing here, and playing well. Thats credit to them. Something has gone on since. We don't know all the details.

Weird that I caught this post. I was taking exception to how Pulju seems to be reaching in and going off balance a lot. It was getting really annoying how he wouldn't skate into a player for a board rub out of an opposing player, but you helped to reclarify the injury. I hope he was just reverting to old habits because of injury. It's not the JP I like to watch at the moment. Guess we'll see what happens.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I'm not sold on him as anything more than a bottom 6 guy. He is a great skater with decent hockey IQ but his hands and overall skill lack behind his physical traits.
Probably. But I would be feeding him Glenn Anderson/Ryan Smyth film all day. Not everythng has to be artistry, skill. Connor almost scored twice tonight simply skating thepuck directly into the goalie. McLeod is a premium skater, he's tenacious, he's good moving in traffic, he has so many things. If he doesn't ever get finishing mitts all he ahs to learn is to be chaos around the net at the end of rushes and STAY the net for junk and rebounds. He's not a terrible passer, seen him make some plays even at speed.

Smyth took a little while to figure out NHL and the game to slow down. Not making a comaprison, just saying. With McLeod type skating he could be a 4pt player in this league. He's got premium burn speed to get free looks at net. Just what he does once he gets those. The right coaching and lots of focus on him could pay dividends. A lot of NHL players just learn to score on the job. Guys like Horcoff, Pisani.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Some of the best sporting athletes of all time are jerks. Your post could make you sound like a jerk, just saying. You hate the player, we get it.
Probably had a goalie who would hold him accountable and had a bit of fire 😂

Also: I’m also done with Smith as a starter, but he can stick as a backup. We need a real starter though.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
A few years ago, the loaded Tampa club waltzed through the regular season with one of the best regular seasons ever, only to get swept in the first round. They learned from that, they added playoff performers wherever necessary and they adjusted their team strategy so that they had the versatility for the playoffs. They haven't lost a series since.

This will be a successful season depending on what the Oilers learn from this.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Weird that I caught this post. I was taking exception to how Pulju seems to be reaching in and going off balance a lot. It was getting really annoying how he wouldn't skate into a player for a board rub out of an opposing player, but you helped to reclarify the injury. I hope he was just reverting to old habits because of injury. It's not the JP I like to watch at the moment. Guess we'll see what happens.
JP is thicker than frozen peanut butter. I think he might be undiagnosed with ADHD.

Reactions: TypeSly

Kaptah2

Apr 30, 2020
I have been talking about Pulju's hip area problems too, but everytime I do, bobby comes and rants me down. Problems in hip area usually create stiffness, and that is exactly how Pulju's game has AGAIN looked like after his injury in regular season.

If that's the case, I really hope it's repairable. Some hip area problems are not. You can have corrective surgeries, but they only help for a little while. I know, because I've had one.

Last edited:

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Another good take @Drivesaitl

Pulju definitely looked like 1st term Pulju. But also super timid. He backed off due to injury but he was also lacking fire and resolve.

Meanwhile, you gotta pry the pancake of Yama off the ice before he gives in. I know which one I take

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
A few years ago, the loaded Tampa club waltzed through the regular season with one of the best regular seasons ever, only to get swept in the first round. They learned from that, they added playoff performers wherever necessary and they adjusted their team strategy so that they had the versatility for the playoffs. They haven't lost a series since.

This will be a successful season depending on what the Oilers learn from this.
The major difference though is Tampa had elite forwards, an elite defender and an elite goalie. We only have the elite forwards part. They had to add minor guys in their middle 6 and defence. Our lessons to learn require much more to fix.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
None of us are doctors but human engineering is so much like vehicle construction where any one part can impact the handling of the vehicle as a whole. I'm not a mechanic either, what is that called. heh. Unibody?

I have a back condition for instance where I have to do constant rehab. Daily. If I don't the pain starts. I'll be walking on a sidewalk and right out of surprise one foot will move forward and won't go straight. I'll kind of mini stumble because one stride is just off. Right out of the blue. People would think I'm drunk. Only happens once in awhile but a reminder that all our physiology and movement is connected through core, and lower back and hips are crucial engineering within that. throw a monkey wrench at that and it throws everything off kilter. layman view.

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Nurse discloses he played 3 series with a torn hip flexor. Such a shame this warrior was not at 100% to help this team. I hope some of the intense negativity for this player will be mitigated with a hard truth of a significant injury he played through.
I’ve tried to tone down my disdain over Nurse’s play until the season was over (I wasn’t always successful). I figured if he really was hurt we’d hear about it immediately and if he wasn’t we’d hear nothing. We’ve heard pretty quickly so I guess that’s a reason for optimism. I still think our defensemen as a group are terrible and changing that is where the focus needs to be this off season.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Think you only get a Makar by drafting or when they are past their prime. Our tanking was poorly timed. Actually not really, we got McDavid and Drai :) Just needed 1 more though!!

Fix the damn goaltending should be doable if we are still not determined to make Smith the starter.
Crazy to think that Landy and MacK (while still surrounded with remnants of their first rebuild) finished low enough to draft Makar.

Unfortunately McD was just that good so as to give us Lavoie, Holloway, Broberg, etc

Dirt McGintty

Jan 29, 2019
I'm wishing that the Oilers hated the AV's punks half as much as I do. I was trying to put that on the shelf a bit in this series and focus on the hockey but the AV's antics the last two games and Angel Gabriel having the audacity to talk about dirty play. What a f***er. No wonder Kass was going at him all night. Right on Zach.

In game 3 and 4 the AV's fully succeeded in reminding me how much trash they have in their core. Get f***ed in the Final AV's.
I have maybe posted twice on social media (facebook, insta) in my life. This week I got into it a bunch with people saying that Edmonton takes more penalties than the Av's because they are a dirty team etc. Like, when did blindside hits to the head, slewfoots, and driving peoples heads into the boards become just become part of the battle and clean plays by the leagues darling Av's? And besides this game, how could anyone watch the first three games and come up with the conclusion that the Oilers should take 3 times as many penalties as these Av's? It's baffling. I have always tried to not blame refs and haven't bought into an NHL conspiracy against Canadian teams. But man its getting pretty hard not to.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I have maybe posted twice on social media (facebook, insta) in my life. This week I got into it a bunch with people saying that Edmonton takes more penalties than the Av's because they are a dirty team etc. Like, when did blindside hits to the head, slewfoots, and driving peoples heads into the boards become just become part of the battle and clean plays by the leagues darling Av's? And besides this game, how could anyone watch the first three games and come up with the conclusion that the Oilers should take 3 times as many penalties as these Av's? It's baffling. I have always tried to not blame refs and haven't bought into an NHL conspiracy against Canadian teams. But man its getting pretty hard not to.
Its not even requiring conspiracy. It just makes sense. The NHL knows its bread is already always buttered in Canada. Just throw us a mini bone once in awhile. All the attendance and viewing will still be there. The NHL constantly tries to increase market exposure and share in the US, and helping US clubs win does that. Since first expansion the goal was to grow the game in the States. Canada does not matter to the NHL. Its no illusion. Its a fact of life..;)

When Canada has been shutout of cups for 30 years, and through that time averaged having around 27% of the clubs the math doesn't add up. ON average, everything else equal, a Canadian Club should be lifting the cup one out of every 4 yrs. Yet most people on hf have never seen it happen. Never.

Last edited:

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Probably. But I would be feeding him Glenn Anderson/Ryan Smyth film all day. Not everythng has to be artistry, skill. Connor almost scored twice tonight simply skating thepuck directly into the goalie. McLeod is a premium skater, he's tenacious, he's good moving in traffic, he has so many things. If he doesn't ever get finishing mitts all he ahs to learn is to be chaos around the net at the end of rushes and STAY the net for junk and rebounds. He's not a terrible passer, seen him make some plays even at speed.

Smyth took a little while to figure out NHL and the game to slow down. Not making a comaprison, just saying. With McLeod type skating he could be a 4pt player in this league. He's got premium burn speed to get free looks at net. Just what he does once he gets those. The right coaching and lots of focus on him could pay dividends. A lot of NHL players just learn to score on the job. Guys like Horcoff, Pisani.
Pisani, Horcoff are probably the poster children for “10cent skills with 100 percent brains. They weren’t savant level hockey iq, but they were smart players that studied the game hard and got better in all aspects as they aged and gained wisdom.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Oilers. You will always be my favorite team. Thank you.
You tried. You have a lot of mettle. heh. tbh I gave up on the club. I did. just didn't see any comeback happening, wish I was wrong, and at least the Oilers were good enough tonight to at least go down in a fight. Would have hated to see the team go listless like they were in first half of game. Once they scored the jump was in their step. its an area of work to get the bench up, Because it only happens some of the time, and if they score a goal or two. Too much head hanging stuff still on the bench. It impacts play.

Reactions: oilers'72

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Uh yeah let's lay off of the personal insults. I get everyone is frustrated, but this is pretty far over the line.
It wasn't meant to be an insult. I think he's slow and he doesn't focus on the ice. I stand behind it and I honestly do not mean to offend anyone.

Dirt McGintty

Jan 29, 2019
He was incensed that the official stopped the puck from going out of zone and then doesn't get the freeze call on the goal against. I mean the officials CAUSED the puck turnover on the Smith clear. Least they could have done is blow the play down, or at least blow a whistle when the puck was tied up. Its enough to drive anybody. Smith knows how the officiating BS went down in this series and remember Smith has been run the last two series as well and seen a lot of hacks and hits on him that weren't called.

Billy Smith would have carved one of the officials after the game. Really wouldn't blame him either.
Kind of frustrating watching phantom whistles on uncovered pucks at the other end of the ice all the time too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad