A SERIOUS DEBATE: Elias Lindholm

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Lindy for a while seemed like coach said don't take any penalties...and he took that to mean don't play with an edge. Then he started to get frustrated/pissy during a bad stretch and play with some fire in his belly....and no one called penalties so he brought more of the edge we need.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I don't think I have ever been vocally really tough on Lindholm, but I will admit that I was on the fence about if he'd ever amount to anything more than a middle six forward. I would have met news of him being traded with a guy like Murphy at the deadline with a relative shrug if it brought back something dynamic. I'm happy to have been wrong and hope that this is just the beginning for him. Swedish players seem to take a bit longer for whatever reason to acclimate. There have been conversations around most of the really good ones about not meeting expectations early in their careers. I remember when a lot of people thought the Sedin twins were busts. Hedman. Naslund. Zibanejad. Larsson. I feel like whatever culture shift that has happened in other big hockey nations that makes 18-20 year old hockey players more prepared for the NHL than they were 15 years ago never translated there. When I first started watching hockey, even the elite prospects weren't expected to contribute much of anything in their D1 seasons. People would start to get a little squirmy if it carried over into the D2 season, but even then patience was the rule. Now you have guys coming into the league and just throwing the doors wide open and announcing their arrival. It's an interesting case study. I remember baby deer legs Eric Staal and just hoping against hope that nobody would break him in half at 18. 31 points that year and most of us were THRILLED with that season from him. Deployment was so different in those days. Rookies didn't play the powerplay as a rule. Just a really strange transition to present when you see teams handing the keys over and naming players under 20 as captain and giving them all the icetime they can physically handle. But as it pertains to Lindholm, I feel like he's been on the more traditional developmental track by comparison. It's good to see the year 4 breakout, but it does still concern me that he hasn't been the best about starting the year on time. That will have to change if he's going to break into the next tier. It's fun when you get to watch guys figure it out and start to put it all together in terms of how they need to approach the game, the maturity it takes to be disciplined enough off the ice to maximize minutes, and what style they need to employ to be the best version of themselves. All signs point towards this being more than a hot streak for Lindholm and that's the best news we've gotten all season save the emergence of Slavin as a hockey deity. One thing that always bothered me about Lindholm as well was the visible lack of self-belief that would set in when the results weren't coming and I think that's another maturity issue he's starting to overcome. He would exacerbate his cold streaks by disengaging from the game and two bad games would roll into 10 underwhelming ones. But when he's rolling and he knows it, he starts to take more chances and he starts to play with that edge that we're seeing right now. That confidence in his ability is part of what makes him good. He needs to find a way to keep that feeling even when the pendulum swings back to not being awarded results for it.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Speaking of Swedish players, W. Nylander is tearing it up right now and I've watched a number of games and he looks good doing it. Yeah, I get that the Leafs are an offensive team, with a great PP and a team that is more "run and gun", but over the past 2 months (Feb 1st - today), he leads all rookies with 11G, 25 points. He plays with so much more confidence than he did earlier in the season.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
as a leafs fan, i am incredibly jealous of their young forward talent

they are simply ridiculous to watch, i would kill to have even one forward of that level on this team

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
as a leafs fan, i am incredibly jealous of their young forward talent

they are simply ridiculous to watch, i would kill to have even one forward of that level on this team

Yep..I've been watching them all season and most of last season also. That forward talent is ridiculous, and other than Bozak, who is 30, they are all 27 and under.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I still think a Hanifin for Nylander swap would be the perfect trade. But I can telll you the Leafs probably won't want to do that right now as they are high on him with his hot streak.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I'd be looking higher than Nylander for Hanifin.

How much higher can you ask for? The kid is damn good. He's going to esclipse 60+ points and finish with right around 25 goals as a rookie. I'd rather trade Hanifin for a young guy like him still on an ELC vs a guy like Duchene who's older and going to make 7-8mill a season on his next contract.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I think Leafs fans would not want to give up Nylander for Hanifin (at all, actually). They more are in need of a RHD and really don't want to part with Nylander at this point in time.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
i would give up hanifin for nylander

he is going to be a star for a long time. he is insanely consistent, go look at his game log. longest pointless streak is 3 games and he has only had like four multi-game pointless streaks all year

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Nylander is a franchise forward in the making. It's Carolina that would have to add to get Nylander for Hanifin.

Hanifin is a franchise defenseman in the making. It's Toronto that would have to add to get Hanifin for Nylander.

See, I can do that too.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Hanifin is a franchise defenseman in the making. It's Toronto that would have to add to get Hanifin for Nylander.

See, I can do that too.

And at this point in time I myself will disagree with you. Nylander is already showing that he's a franchise forward. Hanifin has the potential to be a franchise defenseman, but he hasn't showed any signs yet that he's a sure thing to be that franchise defenseman. Not saying he won't get there, because I sure think he can! But I'd rather take the player that's showing that he's the real deal and addresses a team need at this time.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
And at this point in time I myself will disagree with you. Nylander is already showing that he's a franchise forward. Hanifin has the potential to be a franchise defenseman, but he hasn't showed any signs yet that he's a sure thing to be that franchise defenseman. Not saying he won't get there, because I sure think he can! But I'd rather take the player that's showing that he's the real deal and addresses a team need at this time.

I get what you are saying, but it's not that clear cut for me. At the same point in their development (2 seasons post draft), Nylander wasn't even in the NHL full time. It is well known, that forwards can come in and contribute earlier than defensemen. Even so, not every forward develops at the same rate either. People were putting Skinner at #2 in a redraft of 2010 after his rookie season, as an example. HF is very much: "what have you done for me lately?"

I think Nylander is fantastic and has gotten much better as the season progressed (as I've probably seen 20+ Leafs games this year), but when evaluating talent and value, GM's consider where a guy is in his development cycle as well as where he is right now.

Anyhow, it's kind of pointless. I don't see the Leafs trading Nylander right now at all.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
I'd hate to give up Hanifin for Nylander after missing the chance to draft him for free. That's why you go BPA in the first round of the draft vs picking for need.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
If Lindy comes out of the gate this coming season. I think we have a shot.

I wonder how he would have been if we left him a year to develop, then a season in Charlotte before jumping to the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,050.00